“A HAPPIER RETURN”

Ranked #6 of 15 Restaurants in Windlesham
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Having reported our disappointment after our last trip to this restaurant we did try it again and glad we did, it was excellent. The menu had plenty of choice and the food served was well,cooked and flavoured we couldn't find any fault this time and the staff were attentive and friendly. Reading other reviews recently, maybe the food quality isn't consistantly good which is a shame as they are capable of giving customers a great experience.

Reviewed 1 September 2012

We visited on Tuesday this week for an early dinner, having driven past several times and liking the look of the place. We were shown to a table quickly enough and our drinks order taken. We'd barely sat down when the waitress (who was apparently called Katt) appeared wanting to take our order, we asked her to come back in a few minutes, which she did. I ordered the liver to be told that they didn't have any, and there were a couple of other things unavailable too. We should have been told this at the start, rather than as we were ordering - I felt rushed into ordering something else (the meatballs, which were ok, but the pasta was overlooked to the point of being rubbery). Food was very slow being delivered - they weren't busy, it was only 6pm so there's no excuse for that. Once we'd finished we waited a good 20 minutes before the waitress reappeared to clear our plates and give us the dessert menus. Another 10-15 minutes later, after we'd desperately been trying to get her attention she came back to take our order. We wanted ice cream for our 2 year old, only to be told they only actually had one flavour! Once ordered, the desserts came quite quickly. When it came to getting the bill, we were again ignored until my husband actually got up to take our very tired son out to the car. Then she appeared very quickly with credit card machine in hand. All in all, terrible service and below average food.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Ate at The Windmill this week and although cannot possibly make an accusation that my meal caused me to be unwell but at the time I did feel that the sailfin I ordered did taste slightly odd and in the early hours of the morning I was unfortunately rather ill (details not required but I am sure you can guess).

At the time of the visit, my first one, I thought the restaurant seemed very nice, clean, nice helpful staff and good portion sizes, perhaps even too big especially the starters which could have passed as mains in some establishments! Not a massive choice of menu dishes but enough that we were all able to order something that appealed, so in that regard I would say that it was worth a visit. The problem I have is that having been unwell some 4-6 hours later I can't help feeling there could be a connection and seeing some of the previous reviews referencing cleanliness (which I did not witness personally) and the quality of the cooking I am somewhat nervous about recommending The Windmill and am not sure whether I would want to visit again myself?

Reviewed 28 August 2012

In theory this is my Local. We used to eat and have a drink here quite often in it's previous existence as a Vintage Inn. However, since it has gone upmarket twice and the prices have increased substantially, we have tended to stay away. Last Friday I had a night out there with 3 friends and we had a wonderful meal. It started well. I had downloaded a voucher for a free glass of Prosecco. They brought 3, one each for those drinking alcohol and said they were all on the house. The others also shared a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and I had a fragrant Virgin Mojito.

The food was delicious. I had a wonderful Scallop starter from the Friday Fish Special menu. It looked too good to eat, but I did of course, and really enjoyed the delicate flavours. I followed it with a Flatbread covered in Duck with Hoisin and Plum sauce. Very tasty and filling. Yes the whole meal was more costly than under the old regime but the Chef deserves applause for an interesting and varied menu which appealed to us all. A good night out.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We have eaten there several times. The food has been excellent every time, however there have been times where there were loud drunks about. A decent restaurant should not allow those people to disrupt every
One else's evening. Drunks are for bars. This is supposed to be a restaurant, so keep the focus!
Otherwise it's a good place. I especially loved the burgers!