“"Ontario" yours to discover!”
Review of Summer House Park

Summer House Park
Reviewed 4 September 2012

It was a first for our family to Summer house park. Upon entry is a great store with just about anything you seem to have forgotten. Also is a great little cafe serving breakfast and specialty coffees only to name a few. There is a nice little sand beach which looks out to the giant inflatables which kids and adults love. There are also all types of rentals boats with motor, paddle boats, water bikes, canoes even pedal go carts at very reasonable prices. They also seemed to have activities throughout our stay to keep the children occupied. The campsites were a bit open but some along the waterfront including the cottages had the best and really some of the nicest views I've seen in a long time. Though they lacked electric and water.... If you can stand it and are lucky enough get one, the sun rises is beautiful. Fishing was slow but heard a few fish were caught. Overall very nice campground, worth the visit and will return for sure!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank whitehouze

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here on the Labour day weekend and we had an absolute blast! Friends of ours rented the new cabin in the camping cabin area and it exceeded our expectations. The cabin was clean, fresh and very relaxing. It was brand new for 2012 so it did smell like fresh cedar which was also a bonus. 6 of us in total stayed in the cabin and we did not feel cramped at all. I slept on the top bunk but it was still fairly comfy overall and able to support my weight with a couple sleeping below me. The cabin was private and very well designed. There was no cooking allowed in the cabin but there was a charcoal grill outside that worked great (we used it to cook chicken, steaks, and potatoes). The campfire spot was also spacious and private with lots of room for all of us to sit around and enjoy. The washrooms were really close by and the showers were about a few minutes walk away. The actual campground was really clean and well maintained. It was also really quiet (perfect for families and couples)! The staff at the campground was very friendly and welcoming. In fact, I highly recommend you eat at the Shoreline Cafe. The food there is amazing! My wife and I had the Reuben sandwich with fries for lunch and I had iced coffee to go with it. Everything I tried there was absolutely delicious. Make sure you stop and grab breakfast or lunch there! The prices are reasonable (8.50 plus tax for the sandwich with fries). The staff in the store/restaurant are very friendly and genuine. They make sure that you will be satisfied and are very prompt in their service.

The beach area of the camground is also very clean and family friendly. I was playing with my friends on the avalanche body launcher in the lake for a long time because it was so much fun. Great workout too!

I would recommend this park/campground to anyone. Its probably the best site I've ever stayed at and I look forward to staying there again next year possibly. It's close to the Bruce National Park and Lions Head areas too (right in between).

Room Tip: Cabins are fun to stay in and are near the back of the site (very quiet and relaxing)
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rick G
Reviewed 31 August 2012

First of all we rented a boat out for a week, Saturday to Saturday, when we got there at 3:00 on Saturday we checked in and went to get our boat, they rented our boat out to someone else while we were standing there after telling is that they didn't have a boat for us , then told us to come back in an hour because that would be the boat we got for A week.
Also some of the ladies in the front office were just plain rude.

• Stayed: August 2012
9  Thank a-overbeeke
SHP_host, Manager at Summer House Park, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Hello, I am sorry that you had a negative experience at our park. I am not aware of your specific boat rental situation but I will look into it. I am surprised to hear your comment as we do receive numerous compliments about our team. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

We recently stayed at Summer House park for 5 nights. This is our first visit to Summer House Park and we will definitely return. We booked later than others had so stayed in one site for 2 nights, then moved sites for the remainder of our stay. The first spot we stayed in was on Birch, near the entrance/store/water; the second was on Tamarack. Although the second spot was further away from these things, it was a treed lot, larger than the first lot and more private. When we go back, I will definitely request the second site again. The park is spotless and there were constantly people working at maintaining the resort. The beach was nice and there were lots of things to do. We had breakfast at the restaurant one day and had ice cream and coffee at the store a couple of times. It is located close to Tobermory and Lions Head, so we did some outings as well. The people we dealt with while making our reservation (online) and then while we were there were very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank warytravellerrs
Reviewed 30 July 2012

While the setting of the park is nice I don't recommend if you are using a tent. Our tentsite was covered in big spiky stones and sleeping was very uncomfortable despite our sleeping mats. Also, there are not enough toilets and showers and the toilets are often blocked and unusable. For the price you pay I expected much better facilities.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
11  Thank EmiliaXYZ
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This was our families first trip to Summer House and it will definetly will not be the last. This camp ground is very well maintained and there are always grounds people working on the resort.

There are many activities for people of all ages, too many to list. The beach is perfect, not too big and not too small. There are even water activities at the beach to take part in. The water was very clean and a decent temperature.

Our family travelled in a 27ft travel trailer and we had one of the tighter sites. We still did not feel like our site was cramped at all. The site was well maintained and with very nice seasonal camper neighbours. While we were there we booekd again for next year, we were that impressed!

Overall if your thinking of going, GO! You will not be dissapointed.

Happy Camping.

Room Tip: Sites on row D are close to the water and all other amenities.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We have been camping for 15 years. This is the nicest camp ground we have stayed at. Beautiful beach and lots of things for kids to do. We travelled 7.5 hours to get here and we definately will be coming back. Wish we had found this place 10 years ago. We had a great week!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
The Forest House B&B
The Forest House B&B
#4 of 12 in Tobermory
The Purple Frog Bed and Breakfast

Been to Summer House Park? Share your experiences!