“Good, but could do with updating the rooms”

The Crown of Crucis Country Inn and Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ampney Crucis
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My review is mainly in my room. We booked a double room which was really a twin with the beds pushed together. We paid an extra £5 for a 'double', we could have pushed the beds together ourselves. There were marks on the walls and the cups and spoons were dusty and unclean. Overall we slept great. The service we received was spot on. The staff were very friendly and professional. I would defiantly stay again in an updated room. It's set in a beautiful place and the food was great. Great hotel but the rooms need a little updating

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Mrskelly1985
crownofcrucis, Owner at The Crown of Crucis Country Inn and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Hannah C,

Thank you for your review.

With regards to the beds, by putting beds together, we offer flexibility to guests who require a double when we have only twins left and it also gives them a larger than standard double bed.

We are pleased that you felt our service and food was up to a high standard as we do pride ourselves on this here.

If you should stay again in the future, which we hope you will, perhaps one of our Executive Bedrooms would suit your taste.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night as our first baby free night away. We were slightly concerned when we arrived as there was a rather large wedding party there but this did not impact on our stay at all. We booked an executive double which overlooked the lovely little stream and cricket ground and was so quiet and peaceful. Our evening meal, which we had in the bar was absolutely gorgeous, couldn't fault the food or service one bit and it was very reasonably priced too. We will certainly be visiting again and can't recommend this hotel highly enough!

Room Tip: Definitely book one of the executive doubles if you want a peaceful night's sleep, the view is s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Emmacath,

Thank you for your lovely review.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us and had a relaxing evening.

We really do hope that you will come and visit us again.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were part of a large group although we only stayed two nights. We up graded to a deluxe room which was a reasonable size with well equipped bathroom. It was on the first floor overlooking a river and playing field and was very quiet and comfortable. Our group were given exclusive use of the first floor restaurant and snug which suited us admirably. There was a good choice on the menu for dinner and the food was fine. For breakfast we had a small buffet with hot food cooked to order which again was very good. Like most hotels these days the waiting staff seemed to be mainly Eastern European and seemed efficient and pleasant. I understand that the hotel had undergone refurbishment about two years ago and it certainly shows. We would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: For a modest surcharge it's worth upgrading although I think there are only 8 deluxe rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
crownofcrucis, Owner at The Crown of Crucis Country Inn and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Peb007

Thank you for your lovely review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and especially liked the deluxe room you stayed in.

I have passed on your lovely comments to our staff and we hope to welcome you all back again in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel on the 11-12 April and were blown away by how unique, cute and characteristic this hotel was.

It's surrounded by gorgeous countryside, our room (23) looked out onto such a peaceful small lake in the middle of a field. It was such a perfectly clean room and location, I'll certainty remember this hotel if I ever need a place to stay for some relaxation.

We were both so excited and pleased to see such a variety on the evening lunch menu and raced down to try it. Wonderful presentation and lovely food, very surprised and happy to finally stay in a hotel with such a variety of evening meal choices! Drinks were also wonderful, being a non-drinker I often find my choices are boring and rather repetitive in hotels. However, I asked for a lemonade, expected a simple 7 up pop of some sort but was presented with wonderful fresh cloudy lemon juice , simple things like that really made this hotel stand out from the typical 'brand standards' that other hotels tend to go by.

The receptionists were absolutely wonderful, on check in we were welcomed by a very friendly lady who pointed us in the direction to our room. A wonderful gentleman checked us out, he was incredibly friendly, approachable and very happy to discuss local visitor attractions.

However, I have a teeny constructive criticism. Both me and my partner found other members of staff very direct and un-approachable, the lady at the bar seemed irritated that we had not booked a table for that evening but had simply turned up, the receptionist previously assured us on check in that we could pop down for food and simply ask for a table. Waitresses and waiters (on both the evening shift and breakfast shift) seemed very rushed, un-willing to talk and breakfast was removed 15 minutes before it ended which made me feel like a hindrance when I needed to ask the gentleman for some cereal. I completely understand that hotels can be an incredibly busy environment, perhaps the lady at the bar simply came across in the wrong way and did not mean anything by what she said and perhaps the gentleman on breakfast felt slightly rushed to clear away or perhaps certain members of staff were having bad days. I do understand that they work incredibly hard but sometimes good conversational skills, perhaps even a few smiles and laughs would have made us feel a bit more comfortable with our visit. It all seemed very serious in the pub/restaurant area which was ashame.

However, I certainly wouldn't refuse to stay here again unless of course, I receive a blunt reply from the manager on here as I've read he's said on several other reviews with constructive criticism.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Roseanna C

Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed the majority of aspects.

I have passed on your lovely comments to our reception team and I am so glad you found them helpful and knowledgeable about the area.

I have also spoken to our other members off staff as I do not wish anyone who stays with us to think our staff are not friendly and I am grateful of your comments so we can address these.

We do hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Really pretty location - our room overlooked a picturesque bridge and little stream. The hotel is conveniently located for visiting the local Cotswolds beauty spots.

Our room was located in a separate block which was quiet & peaceful, despite the fact that the hotel was full. It was attractively decorated and very clean; the beds were super-comfortable!
The menu in the bar/restaurant was extensive and the food was very good.

We were very impressed with the helpfulness of the staff, particularly the chef, who "went the extra mile". We had to leave early on Sunday morning (well before breakfast was due to be served) but the he prepared a full English breakfast for us at 7.15 am.

I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Whitejan

Thank you for your lovely review, I have passed all your comments on to our staff. I am glad your enjoyed all aspects of your visit and I am glad we could assist you in offering you an earlier breakfast.

We do hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Have just returned from my 5th visit. The rooms are very comfortable, quiet with lovely views . The menu is extensive and the food very good, including a great breakfast choice.The choice of wines is also very good . All the staff are friendly and efficient. I am already looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the stream .
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
crownofcrucis, Owner at The Crown of Crucis Country Inn and Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear JAH_CH3,

Thank you for your kind comments, we are happy that you keep coming back to visit us and that you enjoy all aspects on all of your stays.

We can't wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Near the major road routes in the area, but you feel in the heart of the country by a gorgeous stream. The room was excellent on the ground floor which is what I requested. Saturday night was very busy in the restaurant,but when the food came it was very good. We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the stream.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear mountstevens,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a lovely review.

As you say, we are lucky to be close to various travelling routes but are in a beautiful countryside location.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ampney Crucis
#6 of 8 in Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
Kings Head Hotel
#2 of 8 in Cirencester

Been to The Crown of Crucis Country Inn and Hotel? Share your experiences!