“Potential to be amazing”

Stevenson's at Manase
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manase
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Potential to be amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

The Euro Fales right on the beach are wonderful. You are paying for location because many other aspects are substandard. Breakfast is good but even if they tell you it starts at 7am don't expect it. Starting time depends on how late the staff sleep in - often nearer 8am. Dinners are pretty average - your best bet is to go and eat at Tanu Fales where the portions are hearty and there is a higher component of local food. One of the problems for Stevensons is that the restaurant/entertainment spaces are cavernous and empty - hence the lack of ambience and a good vibe. If you want ambience and a local experience eat at Tanu Fales next doo - great fun and so welcoming. Such a pity because the location of the fales is on a wonderful beach. It wouldn't take much to turn this place around - revamped menu, local music at meals and some leadership from management. Absentee landlord may be the issue here.

Room Tip: Eurofales on the beach are great.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MJK54_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Polish first
Tauranga, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We recently spent 4 nights and wonderful days at Stevenson's at Manse in Savaii.
We loved the euro style fale's because they were a combination of back to basics fale style sleeping with the plated coconut curtains while having the comfort of your own lockable ensuite which had a safe and a fridge inside. This made us feel secure because our food and valuables could be locked away when we were sleeping or away from the fale. The fale's themselves were very comfortable with raised beds, mosquito nets, fans and padded chairs to sit in while reading.
The white sand beach was only a few steps away and the lagoon was deep enough to have a good swim. Food and hospitality were great. We rated Stevenson's 9 out of 10 for what we were wanting in a holiday.

Room Tip: Euro style Fale, number 1 - 4 would be good because the lagoon is deepest there
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Warren P
Waihi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Recently spent 7 nights here with our 2 kids aged 2 and 5 and we LOVED it. We originally wanted to book into Savaii Lagoon resort but no availability so opted for Stevensons due to good price (other places wanted double and many don't accept kids under 3) and glad we did. Stayed in beach villa - perfect location, stepping onto beautiful beach, near enough for kids to play on sand while we watched from the deck,lots of swimming, reading, snorkelling.Staff were lovely, we all knew each other by name and they were awesome with the kids, one of the groundsmen shimmied up coconut tree to pick us fresh coconuts and Megan, the marketing manager goes out of her way to help and attend to guests needs ( she put on movie from her laptop for kids, sorting out lost luggage for other guests and gave them a courtesy lift to Apia) Food was great - this is coming from my hubby who is a chef - try the fish as its always so fresh and make sure you go to Fia Fia night on Wednesday - what a great feed and a great show from all the staff, they put in so much effort. Infact we had heard good reports about food at savaii lagoon resort but think the food at Stevensons was better. It's true that in the beach villas the showers are outside (no-one can see you though!)and sometimes no hot water but absolutely fine due to warm weather and was all part of the experience - this is Samoa! Another trip advisor review said that this is a great place to go if you are a glass half full type of person ( instead of half empty) and this is so right. If you are looking for 5 * luxury, pay more and go elsewhere but if you want to experience more of real Samoa - lovely people, great beach and a laid back & relaxing place then you will love it. Thank you to Megan, Leiliana, Tulu, Junior and all the crew - we had the best holiday in ages.

Room Tip: Beach Villa no 3 had 2 queen beds plus a pull out sofa bed so lots of room and kids could have each...
2 Thank EmmaW910
Gold Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

We come to Samoa twice a year and always make the trip to Savaii. This was the first time we stayed here at Stevensons. We came as a party of 10 .We looked at the other providers of accommodation and decided to stay here. The staff proved very good and eager to assist. The Marketing Manager Megan ensured our stay was a great one. I think a lot of places in Samoa could use Megans advice.

The accommdation is basic but comfortable in the fale's, the location and beach acess are excellent. We kept four kids occupied here without any trouble at all.

The only thing was the hot water ran out. Not that big a tradgedy in the tropics though.

Overall a great stay, would recommend it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beach facing and across the price range.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Great location. Loved the euro fales right on the beach. Manager was negotiable on prices as we had a group . Snorkelling and beach were great. No hot water but it was being resolved at the time. Weather was warm and even a sook like me coped without hot water . This was the second time my family has stayed at this resort and we will return.
Glenn W

Room Tip: Euro fales are good value and a great experience.
1 Thank Glenn W
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed here as a group in the Suites during the last week of June 2013. Yes it is a great location,nice beach,good swimming and snorkling and the village of Manase is one of the cleanest on the island no roaming dogs or pigs and complimentary bananas hanging along the road for tourist to help themselves. There is also a cheap taxi ride to Le Lagoto resort where there is an excellent restaurant , bar, beach and snorkling. The Suites at Stevensons are the upper level accomodation and expensive relative to what the resort offers Ie there is no swimming pool, the meals are of a modest standard ( although priced accordingly ) hot water is solar heated and hit and miss ( showers are a water spout rather than a shower rose ) you have to pay for kayak and snorkling equipment, the bar/restaurant are located on the other side of the road ( Walk 150 metres along the beach to Janes beach bar for a pleasant sunset drink at happy hour prices ) The beach villas are possibly better value for money whilst the Euro Fale's are okay if you want to experience that type of accomodation. We felt the resort is being staffed at the minium level but they are friendly and helpful.
BE WARNED: take extra care of your possessions and insist that the safe opens and can be used. We had 250 tala taken from a purse and one of our group had 2 new black bra's and undrewear taken from her suitcase. Had to be the cleaning staff. Just not good enough.!!
Would we go back? yes because of the location and beach and now knowing what to expect

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank malcolm i
Ariane V, Manager at Stevenson's at Manase, responded to this review, 18 August 2013
Hi Malcolm, Its a shame your stay seemed to not to be as good as you had expressed to me. If you would like to discuss any issues, please feel free to email me at stevensonmanase@lesamoa.net.

It is a shame to mention our staff as taking your possessions on trip advisor, when you expressed to me at the hotel that it wasn't my team. But i will take this on board and investigate the issue. Thanks for your feedback.

Please let me apologise and if you do decide to return to Stevensons on your next visit, please contact me!

I hope life is good in New Zealand and not too cold! Hope to see you soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

I am writing a year on to complain about the service I received while staying at Stevenson's last July.
As a solo mum whose family had arranged the first overseas vacation I'd ever been able to take my kids on I was really excited about my time away.
I am not a well off person but am lucky enough to work for a telecommunications company and had a great work phone which I had used to take photos and videos of our special time away.
On night two I attended the Fiafia night, took videos of my kids dancing and had a fantastic time.
We were staying in the open fales on the beach (which was an incredible experience) and there was only one power point to charge electrical devices - just above the bed.
While I slept with my children, someone came into my fale and stole my phone from next to me in bed, where it was charging.
Naturally I was absolutely devastated and really, really scared.
At no point did the managers (who were both staying at the resort the entire time I was there) approach me to give their apologies or condolences.
I was not offered another form of accommodation and was left really scared and unable to sleep well for the rest of my holiday.
In the past I have stayed at backpackers and in general have been very cautious with my belongings, however I thought being as I was in the bed where my phone lay charging it would be ok!
I could not change accommodation of my own accord as I did not have the money and did not want to upset my sister who had been coming to Stevenson's for years. I also did not want to ruin everyone else's holiday.
The police were a joke. I reported the incident and spent the rest of my holiday trying to chase up an insurance report, which I never got. At one point I went to the local police station to chase up in person to find police men asleep on the floor! They all passed me off to someone else or gave me a time in the future when I'd be able to get the report.
My sister and I have both contacted Stevenson's staff to see if they could chase up the report for us, but they haven't even replied! After her loyalty to the resort, I am disgusted.
In the end, the cost for the replacement of the phone has had to come out of my own money.
I would deeply like some sort of recognition for what I went through, the chasing of the insurance report and to be treated like I'm not just another rich tourist who can afford for things to go missing.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank A M
Ariane V, Manager at Stevenson's at Manase, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Hi,

I am really sorry to hear about your upsetting experience at Stevensons. The hotel is recently under new management, so I was unaware of your experience. If you are able to email the hotel directly, I can then get more information off you and look into it further. I do understand that this happened a year ago, but would still like to be of any assistance I possibly can be at this late stage. Please email me on 'stevensonmanase@lesamoa.net.

I apologise again,

Megan

Travellers are raving about these Manase hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manase
The Savaiian Hotel
#2 of 15 in Savai'i
Lusia's Lagoon Chalets
Lusia's Lagoon Chalets
#2 of 4 in Salelologa

Been to Stevenson's at Manase? Share your experiences!