Stevenson's at Manase
Jet Over Hotel(Salelologa)
Average 3/5
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbeach barfishbeach frontfiafia nighthot waterair conbeach faledown the roadspecial thanksgreat accommodationtour guideprivate bathroomrelaxing holidaypaddle boardspizzaopen airopen fale
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed in a Euro Fale, what a wonderful experience. What better way to start the day, than with a snorkel right outside the door before breakfast. We read many mixed reviews before we went here, and are so pleased we went. The staff were wonderful, the food delightful, the rooms fantastic. We wanted a true beach holiday, that's what we got. Go in with an open mind, leave your worries behind and enjoy a really relaxing stay here. Thanks Megan and the team we will be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I arrived on our honeymoon. The room we booked was not given to us but we concede that this is only a request. We ended up with the Isabella room which is on the end. The view is beautiful but the room...well...the 'rock shower' is an experience I've never had before. Be prepared for a spout as your shower which actually worked but was a little different. We had to buy thongs to shower but they didn't help. The rocks are sharp and uneven! The picture depicts a bigger lounge suite than what we had. So...it appears that this place is currently being run by two caretakers and it seems that Megan especially is doing her best....but....if you have ordered a massage and it seems that the 'real' masseur hasn't or wouldn't come...please don't sent the receptionist who didn't really have an idea but did her best and giggled for the whole time (actually 15mins)....it was excruciating for us both! Our neighbours experienced the same and we at least had a laugh about it at the bar later in the evening...best part...it cost all of $15...so not a big deal about the money but I think we would prefer the real deal. The breakfast is pancakes but be quick...they are average. The other food we felt was ok although the Fia Fia night felt a little like the manager was trying again her best to improve the entertainment which was ok. I thought the food was ok but husband didn't enjoy. Then it come time to pay the bill....on the morning of check out we paid the bill...it didn't go through. We were told that it would later that day. It did....twice....four emails later, travel agent involved, them requesting our bank account to check the bill....and we have still payed a
little more than the original check out bill! Not sure what that is about but have we heard anything from their end to see if everything is ok??? ahhh...no....this hotel is located on the edge of paradise and has so much potential....but it appears management consistently changes and there is no stability. We would not recommend nor would we return. What a shame as it could be the best in Savaii...

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ariane V, Manager at Stevenson's at Manase, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Hi,

We are really sorry you did not enjoy your stay at Stevensons. As you would have seen during your stay, Derek and I doing the best we can to uplift the property, and feedback from guests is taken on board and we do what we can to improve the place.

Breakfast is a breakfast buffet that our team stock up throughout the morning. As we can not predict what time guests will come for breakfast, we do our best to be prepared, but do not want to prepare hundreds of pancakes for the guests to eat cold, so on occassions, there may be a wait for some of the items to be restocked so that they are cooked fresh.

In regards to your bill, due to our location, our Westpac eftpos terminal is not the most reliable piece of technology. We do our best to charge the guest as they leave, but on occassions when the mobile reception will not allow us, we take a pre authorisation and charge it later. I believe the General Manager is still waiting for an email repsonse in regards to the double charge issue. When we settle our machines at the end of the day, it comes through as a whole figure which we match off with the inputted visa/mastercard sales of the day. On the day you checked out, the amount was not over, therefore we are having no luck finding your double payment. As i explained in my email, it may have been the 'pre authorisation' amount that you were seeing as a charge, although infact its not? Which is why we need to see the double charge from your end. If this is the case, we will certainly refund the double charge immediately.

As to the review of the bathrooms, I guess they are not everyone taste. The owner has designed these to create a jungle/cave feel. I apologise for you not enjoying or embracing them.

The massage. We do not advertise having a massage service at the hotel, however if someone does enquire about a massage, we try to arrange it. I am sorry that the girls did not explain to you that it was one of our team members doing the massage. My team of girls at the hotel are quite competent at doing a basic massage at a very cheap price in the comfort of the guests room, this also allows them a chance to earn a little more money. We have never received any negative feedback about the massages, but apologise again about the lack of professionalism by that team member on that day.

In closing, when chatting to you throughout your stay, you seemed rather happy with things. I am sorry upon leaving you have decided to publicly voice your unsatisfactions, I do hope you enjoyed your complimentary bottle of sparkling wine.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Having spent 10 nights at Aggie Grey's Resort on Upolu, it was lovely to arrive at Stevenson's at Manase. We took a Beach Ville, which was rustic and needed some TLC, but the resort on a whole was lovely and relaxing. The Staff were superb and very friendly and would do anything for you. There is a problem with the service in the restaurant, but this is being addressed, and we saw an improvement during the 11 nights we were there. The food was delicious and there was numerous choices. The entertainment was first class - a show being put on by the staff, and the nearby village church choir was superb. The atmosphere in this resort is magic and although work is needed in some areas, I would highly recommend Stevenson's to all ages that want a relaxing and stress free vacation..

Room Tip: Remember you are there to chill, so take advantage of the tranquil and relaxing environment. Of the 5 Villes, the quietest would be No 3, as it is half way between the bar and the resort next to Stevenson's. The Fales, though basic have everything you need, if you don't need luxury
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew B

Hi Andrew,

It makes me really happy to see that you had a great time at Stevensons. As you saw, we are doing improvements to the place, and should have it up to scratch as soon as possible- a little bit of TLC goes a long way!

We look forward to seeing you here again one day!

Take care.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Keep in mind this is not my kind of place...and was travelling solo. Good points: lovely managers, good food and Manase Village beautiful. Down side for me: soulless and no Samoan vibe. It doesn't worry me if there's no hot water or the wi fi is slow, but I find it astonishing that the Samoan women staff have to wear a uniform that they wouldn't be permitted to wear in their village. Above the knee and strapless is an absolute no for these women, yet it seems the owner insists they wear it. This is not the real Samoa. You don't have to go far to find it on Savai'i.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 230deborahp

Hi Deb,

I am glad you enjoyed Manase, and the food and management we provide at Stevensons at Manase.

It was a pleasure hearing your feedback and comments throughout your stay. The thing most people like about Stevensons is how peaceful it is, and the Samoan Vibe that is does have, even though it is not a family run Samoan fale establishment. We are trying to create a Samoan Hotel, but with comforts that the Western world enjoy, which is why are Eurofales have a ensuite and fridge, and our other accommodation offers air conditioning.

I did understand where you were coming from in regards to finding it hard to meet people at the hotel with our dining system. We like guests to be able to sit with their families or who they choose to, instead of being forced onto one long table (like other cheaper fale establishements encourage). I understand this was not what you were after in your Samoan adventure.

I will pass on your comments and suggestions in regards to the uniform for the hotel directors to review.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Beautiful location right on the beach, Villa accommodation had very large bedroom with 2 double beds, clean and comfortable. The "ënsuite" toilet was functional but rustic outdoor shower is very basic. No hot water, low water pressure and no lights for after dark shower. (solar lights broken) Management were quick to repair problems on request. (New door knob for our room, fix tap in another villa). Food very good, fia fia night excellent. Overall pretty good with some upgrading of facilities and maintenance needed. (Clean mats at front and back doors would be nice.) The dream location right on the beautiful beach needs no improvement!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi Debra,

I am glad you loved the location of Stevensons at Manase, the beach is beautiful!

A bit of information in response to your review, We have just had hot water systems delivered for all the Villas, which will be installed this week, I am sorry we didn't have them here before your stay. We have also just installed more lights around the hotel to increase night time visibility, although they around the hotel grounds, not in the yards of the Villas. I will look into lighting ideas for the shower area of the Villas. I will also arrange more mats for the rooms that should be cleaned more regularly.

Again, I am glad you enjoyed Samoa and hope to see you at the hotel again.

Kind Regards,