“Absolutely perfect”

B&B La Casa di Montalbano
Ranked #2 of 8 Punta Secca B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The house is beautiful - the balcony is everything you're hoping for - we ate breakfast and lunch - arancini from the shop nearby - there everyday and the rooms are comfortable and spacious. The breakfast is unusually good by the standards of other places I have had 'free breakfast' in Italy and the staff are unusually friendly. Laura was putting croissants (and croissant crema!) in the oven when we got up early one day, so they're obviously fresh, and there is a selection of jams, bread and local biscuits.

We asked for a sea-view room and it was a great place to stay with a view that takes your breath away.

Punta Secca is very very quiet out of season (we were there in early Oct) so if you're looking for a lively trip (we weren't), that's not the time to go. The Rosengarten nearby does good pizza and huge portions of pasta for a reasonable price, though it's hardly fine dining. Montalbano would prefer 'San'D' - which prepares the seafood featured in the show.

The beach outside is rocky (save for a narrow channel marked by buoys), but the beach by the lighthouse is glorious.

The rooms are B&B rooms so don't expect hotel levels of soundproofing. There were also plenty of flies around for whatever reason so some repellent would be a good idea.

I saw that there were some mixed reviews of this place - I'm sure some guests may have experienced problems that were fixed before we arrived... Others may have had different expectations, but the truth is we had an absolutely fabulous stay and will hopefully come back soon.

Room Tip: There are three rooms with sea view - get one of these!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SJIreland

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We are avid Montalbano fans and we had a great stay at casa di Montalbano. Livia went out of her way to help me find a way to get to Punta Secca when our car hire fell through. The private car hire that we used was great - economical and the driver was extremely polite and conscientious. Laura who looked after us during our stay was helpful and cheery. I note that some people on trip advisor complain about 'noise' - and I have to say that we did not find noise to be a problem. I see that some people have referred to the house as basic - I am not sure what some people expect from a B & B? With a clean room, fabulous sea view balcony, the beach at your front door, a wonderful breakfast prepared for you in the morning, friendly staff and a restaurant within a few minutes walk - I don't know what more you could ask for. PERFECTO

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Kate M
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I became a fan of the Inspector Montalbano show last summer and started to investigate more about the locations used in the show. When I discovered you could actually stay in the house used in the show, I immediately contacted the company (discoveringsicily.com) to organise our stay. My communication with Ivana (who works for the company) started last September! Throughout our email exchange, I was so happy with her swift replies and I felt confident that my plans for this holiday would work out.

Transfers were all taken care of so our arrival to the B&B was very smooth. Ivana greeted us at the house like old friends and I was in stunned silence when we walked around the living area and onto the famous balcony. Now it should be made clear, this is a rustic B&B and is probably suited to people who watch and love the show but the friendliness and charm of Ivana and Laura (see more below) as well as the stunning views are enough to please anyone! My emails to Ivana meant she had given us the main room overlooking the sea with ensuite bathroom. Bliss!

The next morning we met Laura who works in the house whether it be setting up breakfast or checking in/out guests. Nothing was too much to ask and we were very much looked after. The beach is literally in front of the house. We found walking a little further meant even more sand and less rocks. Available in your room are two chairs and an umbrella which I recommend using! It was very hot! One evening, Laura arranged a Montalbano evening (a charming dinner of local cuisines and wine set against a sunset to melt your heart). I even helped with the prep and had my first Cannoli experience which I will never forget.

Our room was cleaned each day and fresh linen every other day. The room was a great size but readers should not expect all mod-cons and 5 star luxury. This is a charming B&B which offers incredible value for money.

On our last full day, I proposed to my now fiance. The setting was perfect and that night we sipped champagne before heading off to Sand (see my other reviews). I believe it is the first proposal at the house!

On our checking out day, Ivana again surprised us by coming to the house to bid us farewell. We hugged our friends, Ivana and Laura, and vowed to see them again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dan M
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We recently spent two nights at this b&b. Location is great, beaches lovely, though the beach on the far side of the tiny harbour is best. Disappointed with our room which was at the front of the house, overlooking the small piazza. This was very noisy at night and from 5am in the mornings! our bathroom was across the landing so not ensuite. Ask for a room which overlooks the sea. Host Laura was extremely helpful although she seemed to be run off her feet at times. breakfast was also pretty basic

Room Tip: Ask for an ensuite room with a sea view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sue b
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Montalbano fans will find a stay at his house a must although I can now understand why Livia spends so much time away from Montalbano. Quite honestly although the location in sleepy Punta Secca, yards from the beach is great, I agree with a previous reviewer in that it is a bit basic. Montalbano will obviously be representing Italy in the next Olympic swimming events as the tidal currents are very strong, and the strong offshore winds preclude long sojourns on the beach or terrace. Hosts Laura, Agate and Ivana are extremely helpful and will do what they can to help you enjoy your stay although I have to say the breakfast was also a bit basic

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Mrbling
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This b and b is heaven for fans of Commissario Salvatore Montalbano ( my wife included) and is a beautiful quiet beach-front retreat for the rest of us. If you can't stretch to Malibu this makes an affordable alternative. The owner Ivana was very friendly and helpful, and happy to talk about the building's association with Montalbano. The property stands in as Montalbano's house in the TV series, so it's very popular, particularly with women of a certain age, and gets booked up quickly. We were lucky to get the last available room for two nights but it was full throughout, even in April. The facilities are clean and comfortable without being the last word in luxury, but at 80 euros per night including those views, who could complain? If you want to feel like a Hollywood A-lister on La Croisette at Cannes, just step out on the balcony during daylight hours, and the tourists who flock here to pay homage to the fictional detective, will train their camera lenses on you without fail. It's also a great place to watch the setting sun sink into the ocean, especially over a chilled beer. There are more pictures and newspaper cuttings relating to Montalbano and the actual locations for the TV series, dotted around the lounge. I enjoyed our stay despite being badgered to stand-in for Montalbano in my wife's photos. I played ball just to make her happy, but i drew the line at donning a swim cap and re-enacting the swimming scene from the title sequences. It was April after all, and the Levante wind was stirring up the surf into angry walls of smoking white foam. So, I was excused. Punta Secca is a quiet jewel of a place, which, but for the TV series, might have remained so. It has been shoved into the spotlight as a result of the TV series, so go while it still retains it's Italian seaside charm. It also has a fantastic, affordable fish restaurant, San'D on the Lungomare Amerigo Vespucci, where the food is amazing and the owner Danilo cooks the food for the TV stars, and features in the next series. The Casa di Montalbano must be one of the easiest places to find as there are now brown tourist signs pointing the way for miles around. Highly recommended, especially for the exhibitionist in you.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Robertsclubman
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Booked this as a Montalbano fan - and it met all expectations! Slightly disappointed that we didn't spot any dead horses on the beach! but otherwise absolutely perfect. We had an upper storey room, which looked out over the sea. Before booking, I didn't really have high expectations of the accommodation but the room was comfortable, clean, lots of room, good shower and lovely crisp white sheets. The light through the shutters and curtains was stunning! Breakfast wasn't brilliant, but who cares - we were looked after with care and attention. The real bonus was the stunning sunsets. Have a beer at the Charlie Brown bar across the road, watch the sunset from the balcony then go treat yourself to the degustation at Sand and your life will be complete!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
#14 of 25 in Santa Croce Camerina
Dunedorate
Dunedorate
#1 of 8 in Punta Secca

Been to B&B La Casa di Montalbano? Share your experiences!