“Really enjoyed the food but not sure about the welcome”
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Thoralby
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
England
“Really enjoyed the food but not sure about the welcome”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I will keep this brief. We were short of choices visiting in mid January Monday and Tuesday but chose this place as first two choices were closed. Could have walked out after the indifferent welcome we received but stuck at it as we did not want to travel far that night. The food was excellent cannot deny that and credit to the cook. For me choice of cask ale was limited to one. The negatives, we were not made to feel welcome, even though we were the only customers besides a lone elderly drinker who left soon after we arrived. We were attempted to be ushered to a table in the cold side of the bar where there was no fire. When asked about the other side where a log burner was, we were told it was being set up for dominos. That was true on three of the four tables but the fourth was free. So anyway we choose ourselves to sat there, the log burner was not that effective anyway. Q by the time we had eaten and left the dominos had not started and no one else had arrived. What was that all about?

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank SwissChris
TheGeorgeInnThoralby, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Swiss Chris,
Thank you for your comments. My wife is very happy that you enjoyed your meals.
I am sorry that you felt that your welcome was “indifferent” but at the time as I told you we were setting up for pre-booked four teams of dominoes and I could not know how long you intended to stay. I did suggest that you sat at the other end of the room as I would have turned on the gas fire for you, if in fact it was not already on, which would have been much warmer and cosier.
Again I am sorry that you did not like one of the beers that we had on but at this time of the year, when things are so very quiet I consider that it is much better to have two beers in good condition rather than several in mediocre condition and the two beers that we had were chosen by our regular guests.
I hope that this short reply helps the situation and we look forward to seeing you when next you visit the Yorkshire Dales.

“Odd”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We tried to get in a hostelry in Aysgarth for Sunday lunch, but there were no spaces in the car park so we decided to try elsewhere. We saw a sign to The George and as it was only a mile and a half away, we decided to drive down to Thoralby.

Here, it was entirely the opposite to the other place, because apart from two locals having a drink there were no other diners in there, so our suspicions should have been raised. They definitely should have been raised when the lady said that she was on her own and had a table of five coming in later and wasn't sure if she could handle it! (The man did apologise for this aspect, later in our visit, as his wife thought she may have sounded rude).

Saying that, we decided to stay as the place was warm, spotless and cosy with the real fire burning.

The food and ale was decent enough, with no complaints whatsoever.

The smartly dressed man who served us seems to specialise in having a set look of disapproval when you ask him anything whatsoever that doesn't fit with his stereotype of what a customer should be and what customers should do (presumably he would prefer some gentleman farmer and his wife dressed in tweed drinking G&Ts and talking about the weather and the state of the economy).

We took a photo of the fire - disapproving look. We had the nerve to ask what the varieties of fruit juices they served - and he trotted them out quickly after saying " are you ready for this?"! Disapproving look. (PS Heres a tip - please put them on a laminated card to take back to the tables to show the kids - we are out for Sunday lunch not taking part in a feat of memory). He was even more miffed when we'd asked for the third time.

We asked if we could order one pud separately as my daughter is a fussy eater and she wanted to try some of the others first and at £5.10 each (where did that come from - £4.95 sounds much more appealing). Disapproving look and a refusal - even though the other party of five (but no other parties) had arrived to dine and they weren't yet at the pudding ordering stage. In our local they would be happy to serve every dish separately if we wanted - they believe that the customer is always right.

But the absolute classic look of disapproval came when we had the nerve to ask what the total bill of over £140 consisted of! (see the review below from Heather M who had a similar experience). The till doesn't do that he said !!!!!!!!!!!!! Uh? He then thrust three hand written slips at me. It was my turn for a disapproving look this time. "I can write it out if you like" - accompanied by the disapproving look. One of the kids had asked for cream and ice cream. It was shown on one of the blue slips at £6.10 but nothing was said at the time of ordering about the extra cost. Ah, I didn't charge that as one person had a plain pudding. Mmmmmm - well why write it on there then?

By this point I'd had enough of this guy and The George.

So if you stumble across this pub and there are no cars in the car park when the place up the road is packed to the rafters - now you possibly know why.

I am giving it a review of three. It is somewhere between a five for the food, drink and cleanliness and one for all the other obscure aspects of the visit.

Whilst the food and drink and the pub itself were fine, we would never go back in there - it just wasn't a comfortable experience. With a change of attitude, it really could have been a great afternoon.

(PS Having read some of the responses from the owner shown below - as any user of this site knows, the date of review isn't necessarily the date of the visit.)

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank DVETheK
TheGeorgeInnThoralby, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear DaveTheKettle,
We are glad that “the food and ale was decent enough, with no complaints whatsoever” at The George Inn.
We had been busy with Sunday lunches immediately upon opening and had just cleared up and were awaiting the arrival of a booked party of five at 1pm. The time was 12.45/12.50 when your friend came in and asked if we could feed a party of 8. My wife who does the cooking and preparation of the meals on her own was in the bar talking to one of our other guests, hesitated as she knew we had the party of five arriving imminently but then said yes, if you were happy to have one of the choices from the roasts of the day. The gentleman said that this would be absolutely fine and went out to get the rest of your party. I immediately started to rearrange tables to accommodate you and set up the eight places. Your whole party ordered your meals and drinks and all seemed to be going well.
All during the meal your wives and the first gentleman who had originally come in said that they were enjoying the food etc.
When you took the photograph of the fire I was attending to something behind the bar and turned round to see someone on the floor. I thought that you had fallen or were in trouble, hence the concerned and worried expression.
You eventually asked for the bill which I keyed into the till. Our till is very basic and does not provide a receipt. If a guest asks for a VAT invoice or any form of receipt I give a hand written receipt.
You queried the amount and said I could have keyed anything into the till. I immediately said I would give you an itemised written receipt. You declined this. Your friend pointed out that the bill was obviously about right as you had had eight main courses and five deserts plus all the drinks and he paid saying that they had enjoyed everything. On leaving the pub your wives thanked me for accommodating you all and said they had enjoyed it.
If you supply me with your email address I shall forward an itemised bill for your perusal. Thank you for your advice regarding our pricing structure. A suggestion for you that may be helpful in the future is that most eating establishments in the Dales when dealing with a party of 8 would appreciate you making a booking especially on a half term weekend.
We look forward to welcoming you all again in the future.

Best Regards

“Fantastic Dales pub”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We have eaten here more times than we can remember! Food is always excellent. Becci's home made dishes are delicious and Charles welcome and attention to detail second to none. It was good to see that virtually every table was taken most nights when we were there last week. Keep it up Becci and Charles and have a brilliant holiday! You deserve it!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Janeteric
“Hoped for more”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

From the outside and admittedly inside , this is a very welcoming pub. Landlord was approachable and cannot fault the service.

Disappointment was the food, I had a special, Spanish pork stew which looked appealing on menu but unfortunately the actual dish was a big letdown. Looked very unappetising and had far too much salt in whilst being accompanied by burnt garlic bread. My wifes salmon mornay was nice apparently. I don't like leaving bad reviews but the place is great to look at in a great setting, however food(incidentally not cheaply priced) let it down completely on our visit.

Visited June 2013
TheGeorgeInnThoralby, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Sir,
We are sorry that you did not like the fabada, the Spanish stew, but are glad to see that your wife liked her salmon mornay.

It is a pity that you did not say anything when Charles asked you if everything was Ok during your meal when we could have done something about it instead of saying everything was fine.

Regards

Cupar, United Kingdom
“Awful service and mediocre food”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

This pub is exactly what you expect of a village pub in the Dales - beautifully done out and welcoming with real fires. Unfortunately that is where the positives end. We were not made welcome when we first arrived despite the fact that there were only 4 other people in the pub. The menu is extremely basic and I struggled to find something nice to order. I settled for the "minty lamb" from the specials selection which was good but not special - I go out for food which is special. My friend had the vegetarian mushroom tartlet for her main course and if it had been me being served it I would have complained. She didn't want to cause fuss though and didn't say anything. It was the same size and the cheese and onion tartlet that I had for a starter - two mouthfuls and gone. There were 4 of us and the food was mediocre to average but the real shocker was when I asked for the bill. The guy behind the bar said "that will be £102.75 please - no bill just his word. I asked for a bill and was presented with a bit of paper which simply detailed the cost of food and the cost of drink - not itemised as I would expect it to be. We paid and left and wont be back. Real shame because the look of the place is exactly right but let down by lack of choice, presentation of food, actual taste of food, quatity (as in the case of the main course vegetarian option, and cool if not unwelcoming demeanour of the person behind the bar. The lack of a proper bill was disgraceful.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Heather M
TheGeorgeInnThoralby, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
"Very interesting" review as the inn was not open on February 27th 2013 as we were away on holiday.