“Impressed by lovely surounds but not the Chicken Parmigiana”

The Blue Duck Inn Hotel Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Canberra
“Impressed by lovely surounds but not the Chicken Parmigiana”
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My wife and I recently had lunch at the Blue Duck and left with mixed impressions. We certainly were captivated by the Restaurant's lush and tranquil surrounds, especially the fast flowing creek just metres away from the Omeo Highway.
My wife had Rogan Josh from the blackboard (AUD $18.00) and I, after many years, chose the Chicken Parmigiana (AUD $22.00) from the standard menu. My wife was happy with her dish and enjoyed it very much. The lamb was tender and the dish piquant without being too spicy. Unfortunately, I was not happy with my choice. I had expected the cheese and ham to be sandwiched between the chicken breast rather than placed on top of it (see attached image). Obviously, I must be old school but that's the way I remember how it was done. After some desk top research, however, I now realise that this cooking method is widely practised. Whilst the presentation of both dour dishes was fine, I was not particularly impressed with the taste of mine. In my opinion, the poultry meat was too bland and could have been cooked a little longer. The chips were overly salted but the side salad was good. Based on my experience this time, I give this establishment only an average rating with respect to the food consumed. As for the outdoor setting and its vista - the Blue Duck Inn is a great location. The interior of this restaurant seems to be deliberately kept basic and 'rustic' but somehow lacked charm. Again, this is a personal and very subjective impression. In summary: would definitely drop in again if the situation arises.

• Visited November 2012

Bairnsdale
“Lacking all the old style”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We haven't been to the Duck for some time and found the old style and charm changed by the new owners. Rennovations to the bar in this historic building could not have been approved if there is an historic order. The new owner seems a little cranky and rude and the food was bland. The steak sandwich was tough and although both were ordered medium, it seems the chef can only do well done. Certainly not worth the money and I doubt we would return until it changes hands or chef. The Duck has become just another ordinary pub with ordinary pub meals at an extrodinary price. The pub at Dargo is much better.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Tim W
“Great little pub”
Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

Hi visited the Blue Duck just before they closed for the winter break, they told us they close every winter for 2 months.
Unfortunately the road through to Falls Creek is closed ?
Had a great time, really friendly and will do what they can to accommodate your needs including playing Johnny Cash for us Great food, tried the Rogan Josh, red wine and the open fire, what more could you ask for, well worth the trip

1 Thank Blueskint
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stunning accomidation and scrumptious cuisine.”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My husband took me to the blue duck inn hotel for a romantic weekend away. The cabins were so comfortable and cozy, and had the most beautiful view of the bush and the coobungara river. The whole place has a warm country feel yet the cabins are clean and modern.

The restaraunt is breathtaking. The owner explained the old layout of the pub and we were shocked by how well they managed to replicate the traditional style whilst making the pub more functional and friendly. The food was delicious as well as being perfectly portioned.

In whole, a cozy and comfortable retreat in perhaps one of the most beautiful places in the world.

1 Thank Sarahxxy
Brisbane, Australia
“Amazing little rustic hideaway! Great food and cozy cabins.”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I have stayed at the Blue Duck Inn Hotel three times in the past few years and only after my most recent trip over Easter got around to reviewing it. The hotel is a gem, with incredibly cozy and well fitted cabins. The food is spectacular for a pub that is white literally in the middle of nowhere. I purchased the 400g scotch fillet steak and was given a piece that was perfectly cooked and at least 600g. In defence of the chip critique in one of the other posts, I can't help but note that it is a pub in the middle of nowhere, and to my taste, they were golden and crunchy. My wife ordered the flathead fillets which were very well cooked. The only negative thing I can note, is crowds it gets over Easter. But on the two other occasions we have been, there hasn't been that problem. Five star accommodation, food and hospitality.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Tristan L

Been to The Blue Duck Inn Hotel Pub? Share your experiences!