Turtle Conservation Project Turtle Watch
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Ways to Experience Turtle Conservation Project Turtle Watch
All reviews eggs red light egg laying amazing experience information centre conservation work long wait these beautiful creatures night nature nest visitors ocean volunteers process sri pm
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 April 2016 via mobile

I arrived at 9pm was asked immediately to pay 1000 SkR which was fine then I was told to join the group with no introduction, followed some people down to the beach in the dark followed everybody else and then after about 0.5 km found there was a crowd of 40 people talking and jostling in a place. A man shouting keep back away from a turtle which was digging.
I sat down at the she of the group and saw a dark shape starting to come out of the sea about 10 metres away. After some 5 mins a guide saw it and then told me and everyone else to go back to 20 metres away. It was mayhem with people talking and disobeying etc.
Then after another 20 mins suddenly lots of people rushed to see the first turtle come back down the beach - far too close and disturbing it with photos and talking.
The 2nd turtle turned round and went back. Neither turtle laid eggs because I think they were disturbed by everything.
After that there were no instructions and different people went different ways.
Little organisation and not good treatment of the turtles!

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed 5 April 2016 via mobile

Had high expectations for this, but got bitterly disappointed with how badly the whole thing was organised: couple of guides trying to herd 70 or so ignorant tourist on a dark beach without proper explanation of what was happening. Most visitors had absolutely no respect towards the turtles or the conservation project, and were there apparently just to take some photos to show off to their friends. The guides had no way of controlling what the people were doing, meaning that the only turtle that we truly saw seemed stressed out to say the least (decided not to lay any eggs), and another one turned back without even coming ashore. For those who want to help saving these amazing animals, please, do so by just donating some money.

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed 30 March 2016 via mobile

We saw a huge sea turtle lay her eggs. After a long, hot wait at the beach we rushed down to the beach. It was a very very long walk to where the turtle was (hard for young kids and older people, but well worth the walk. We saw her lay her eggs, rebury them and finally when the turtle made her way back to the sea. Fantastic! Worth the wait but very tiring and not recommended for young children. Bring water and some snacks! Tuktuk from tangalle is 1500 rupiees and for that amount the driver also wait for you and bring you back. We went with our scooter which was fine but we had to ask for the way. Price per person if there is a turtle om the beach is 1000 rupees - if no turtle the admission is free. (but they gladely take donations). It open 20.00 but you can arrive around 20.30. Then the wait is at least a little bit shorter. Absolutely no flashlight allowed (disturbes the turtle) so test your Phone/camera before going to the beach.

Reviewed 21 March 2016 via mobile

I am a conservation biologist and I thought I would check out how conservation of turtles was done in Sri Lanka. I was so appalled at how the tour was run and actually felt embarrassed to be a human.

There was next to 100 people crowded on the beach waiting to watch the turtle to return to sea. When the turtle began its journey back to the ocean everyone crowded around her, giving her no space. People were not meant to use flashes but a few people still did. People were also shouting and not paying any respect.

I stepped right back and just wanted to leave as the poor turtle must have been scared. If they continue to run tours in big groups the turtles will be scared off coming back to the beach to nest.

We saw hatchlings which was very lucky.. but people had no respect for them and were right in their path back to the ocean. A local was shining a torch on them as he thought this would attract them to the ocean. However artifical light can actually scare them away. People were all over the beach where the hatchings were crawling and not even looking at where they were stepping.

I would not recommend going to this place as I think it is run for all the wrong reasons. Conserving animals should be about leaving them be and not scaring them.

5  Thank Rachel_Jayne1
Reviewed 20 March 2016

This was a terrible expereince. I, and the rest of my familiy is very close to calling this animal cruelty. This place has no respect for the turtles whatsoever. The amount of people allowed near the turtle was way to big and must have stressed the turtle. The Sea turtle is a threatned animaland the population is falling drasticly! The guide was HORRIBLE! He did not care one bit. He did not tell us what was going on. He did not tell os anything about the turtles. He was way to busy speaking on his cell-phone!
All the tourists was respectless too! They were using flashlight, eventhoug they were not allowed to! What did you think the guide did? Exactley.. Me, and my family had to leave because we did not want to support this.. I can not reccomend this to anyone! Especially to people who care just a little bit about animals we-being.

1  Thank Matias H