“Jenny's pre 40th Birthday”

Mellington Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellington
“Jenny's pre 40th Birthday”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

It doesn't matter how far we have travelled. You simply cannot beat Mellington Hall Restaurant. The superb quality of food, cooked to perfection along with pleasant and efficient staff.
We went on Sunday 10th Aug 2014. We all ordered roast beef dinners. Unlike other establishments the beef was cooked to perfection, melted in the mouth. Vegetables were also cooked well, not too well done and not too crunchy.
We had deserts to follow. Sherry Trifle, chocolate trio and apple and whim berry crumble.
Staff were very polite, checked on our meal and whether or not we wanted extra vegetables or gravy. Nothing was overlooked. Very reasonably priced too. It was extremely busy, but this did not delay our food or alter the usual high standards of service.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Roadiadi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We booked dinner for four mid-week in the hotel's restaurant. My partner and me were being treated by friends and Mellington came recommended, certainly as a location and fine country building, and was told dining was good. What a disappointment. Perhaps the warning sign came in the dispensing of very cold Bishops Castle brewed Three Tuns bitter; usually a cracking beer if served properly. On to the dinner. The butter presented with the soup was straight out of the fridge and could hardly be spead but worse, was parked right next to the soup dish and left to melt rather than being thoughtfully placed in a separate dish. A small point perhaps but i continue. For mains i went for the lamb shank. It was the worst lamb shank i've had; overcooked and lacking taste. My friends lamb shank was similarly disappointing. The veg', too, was overcooked. My friends fillet steak lacked taste and texture but, to our great relief, the hand prepared chips were very good.
I reluctantly went for a pud' to please my friend....again, what a huge let down. The bread & butter pudding was stodgy with no sign of any crispy topping and the whole lacked flavour. We didn't complain so as to save our friend's embarrassment at his kind gesture. But for the price paid it was so disappointing; good pub grub would have trumped this on the night. The hotel is in a great setting and deserves better than this; i hope they can raise their game and inject a bit of thought and passion in to both the menu and the cooking. Until we here of better things we won't be returning in a hurry. Mellington Hall either had a bad evening or else they've got a few issues to deal with in the restaurant. I hope they think about the reviews.
All-in-all, a super location, grand building but read a few reviews before venturing in to the restaurant for dinner.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank nigel f
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Did not stay at hotel so cannot comment on accommodation, but had a very pleasant and value for money Sunday lunch on their patio. Good choice, good quantities and well cooked and presented. Would and are happy to return again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pollysury
Lampeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed for two nights, with my dog and stayed in the Montgomery suite.
We was made most welcome. As stated in other reviews the place is stunning.
The food was amazing, I dined in both nights and the food was cooked to order and could not be faulted. The belly pork was out of this world as were the sweets.
The breakfasts were good but not on a par with the evening meal.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
I had a small issue with some noise, I like it quiet but I could hear a radio, which annoyed. This was soon sorted and was in the kitchen underneath my room.
The complementary beverage tray lacked biscuits? which surprised me. though the tray was very well stocked.
I was happy and amazed this hotel was dog friendly, a great plus in my book.
I hope to return and sample Sunday Lunch, which I understand is delicious.
In fact my brother visited and is making a point of returning to sample this.
A really great time and Very Highly Recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank dave b
manchester
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

What a hidden gem

The hotel is fantastic for a quiet romantic getaway we had afternoon tea when we arrived and a bottle of wine outside in the sunshine

We had an amazing break staying in the kerry suite

There was a wedding on but we didn't even notice

Can't wait to come back again

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank james j
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My husband and I attended an evening wedding celebration at the hotel on the Friday (did not stay) and the staff were attentive and friendly (despite being rushed off their feet!) One particular lady went out of her way to find a taxi for us. We then returned on the Saturday to stay overnight night and the same welcome and service was provided. The hotel is set in glorious surroundings and was peaceful later in the evening once the influx of people in the bar had gone. My son and his partner joined us for food and although we only wanted the bar meal, because the bar area was busy, the excellent staff led us to the dining room and we ate our bar meal in style!
Yes, the hotel is a bit tired in places, however the staff made our short stay very enjoyable-thank you staff!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 573annie
Midlands
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We had a one night stay on Saturday and stayed in the Mellington Suite, the surrounding area and the hotel is stunning. Our suite was perfect for our anniversary treat, a beautiful four poster bed, and a jaquzi bath for two ! The staff are lovely and the evening meal was cooked fresh to order with local produce. The home made baileys cheesecake was just delicious as was our breakfast the next day. I would love to visit again and urge anyone wanting a romantic break to book here. There is also a very well managed caravan site to the back of the hotel which is of high standard and well kept and doesnt impact on the hotel, the patio is below the bathroom....but if you shut the window...you cant hear others being sociable ...by the evening the hotel is lit up at the front and looks stunning, the area is very peaceful and relaxing and this room has the view of the gorgeous countryside which you can see whilst lying on a huge four poster ! A 10/10 for us.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Tinkerbelle36
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellington
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfyllin
Knighton Hotel
Knighton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Knighton

Been to Mellington Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!