“Wedding”

Mellington Hall Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellington
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Went to a wedding here yesterday and the food and service were fabulous roast beef melted in the mouth and the proper old fashioned gravy was sublime the bride said the bridal suite was amazing being in a wheelchair i couldn't go up for a nose unfortunately but the staff were very accommodating for all my needs during the ceremony and meal lovely day for a beautiful bride

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank missty68

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We celebrated our daughters wedding here on August 9th. It was a fantastic experience, from the time we entered the hotel we felt welcomed by all the staff who helped us in any way they could to make the day special. Our room were beautiful. clean and spacious as were all the guest rooms. The food was outstanding, from the full English breakfast (which is a MUST) to the wedding reception, absolutely beautiful, hot and so well presented. The service was amazing, everyone seemed to be served their meals at the same time,
The care and attention given to detail with regard to the wedding was second to none. My daughter was assisted with the hanging up of her dress etc, I was reassured that the cake etc would be put on display without my help, it was perfect. We had travelled for the event , although my daughter lives locally, This was not a problem, Mellington is such a well run and efficient establishment that all needs are catered for.
The venue is beautiful, the scenery amazing and the grounds are immaculate.
All in all a perfect venue which enabled us to enjoy a very special occassion. Thank you to each and everyone of the staff at Mellington Hall.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lizzie55
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

It doesn't matter how far we have travelled. You simply cannot beat Mellington Hall Restaurant. The superb quality of food, cooked to perfection along with pleasant and efficient staff.
We went on Sunday 10th Aug 2014. We all ordered roast beef dinners. Unlike other establishments the beef was cooked to perfection, melted in the mouth. Vegetables were also cooked well, not too well done and not too crunchy.
We had deserts to follow. Sherry Trifle, chocolate trio and apple and whim berry crumble.
Staff were very polite, checked on our meal and whether or not we wanted extra vegetables or gravy. Nothing was overlooked. Very reasonably priced too. It was extremely busy, but this did not delay our food or alter the usual high standards of service.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Roadiadi
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We booked dinner for four mid-week in the hotel's restaurant. My partner and me were being treated by friends and Mellington came recommended, certainly as a location and fine country building, and was told dining was good. What a disappointment. Perhaps the warning sign came in the dispensing of very cold Bishops Castle brewed Three Tuns bitter; usually a cracking beer if served properly. On to the dinner. The butter presented with the soup was straight out of the fridge and could hardly be spead but worse, was parked right next to the soup dish and left to melt rather than being thoughtfully placed in a separate dish. A small point perhaps but i continue. For mains i went for the lamb shank. It was the worst lamb shank i've had; overcooked and lacking taste. My friends lamb shank was similarly disappointing. The veg', too, was overcooked. My friends fillet steak lacked taste and texture but, to our great relief, the hand prepared chips were very good.
I reluctantly went for a pud' to please my friend....again, what a huge let down. The bread & butter pudding was stodgy with no sign of any crispy topping and the whole lacked flavour. We didn't complain so as to save our friend's embarrassment at his kind gesture. But for the price paid it was so disappointing; good pub grub would have trumped this on the night. The hotel is in a great setting and deserves better than this; i hope they can raise their game and inject a bit of thought and passion in to both the menu and the cooking. Until we here of better things we won't be returning in a hurry. Mellington Hall either had a bad evening or else they've got a few issues to deal with in the restaurant. I hope they think about the reviews.
All-in-all, a super location, grand building but read a few reviews before venturing in to the restaurant for dinner.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank nigel f
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Did not stay at hotel so cannot comment on accommodation, but had a very pleasant and value for money Sunday lunch on their patio. Good choice, good quantities and well cooked and presented. Would and are happy to return again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pollysury
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed for two nights, with my dog and stayed in the Montgomery suite.
We was made most welcome. As stated in other reviews the place is stunning.
The food was amazing, I dined in both nights and the food was cooked to order and could not be faulted. The belly pork was out of this world as were the sweets.
The breakfasts were good but not on a par with the evening meal.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
I had a small issue with some noise, I like it quiet but I could hear a radio, which annoyed. This was soon sorted and was in the kitchen underneath my room.
The complementary beverage tray lacked biscuits? which surprised me. though the tray was very well stocked.
I was happy and amazed this hotel was dog friendly, a great plus in my book.
I hope to return and sample Sunday Lunch, which I understand is delicious.
In fact my brother visited and is making a point of returning to sample this.
A really great time and Very Highly Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank dave b
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

What a hidden gem

The hotel is fantastic for a quiet romantic getaway we had afternoon tea when we arrived and a bottle of wine outside in the sunshine

We had an amazing break staying in the kerry suite

There was a wedding on but we didn't even notice

Can't wait to come back again

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank james j
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellington
The Dragon Hotel
#5 of 16 in Shrewsbury
The Cliffe at Dinham
The Cliffe at Dinham
#3 of 8 in Ludlow

Been to Mellington Hall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!