Daintree Crocodylus
Daintree Rainforest Retreat(Cow Bay)(Great Value!)
Daintree Ecolodge(Daintree)
US$327
US$237
  • Breakfast included
Demi View Motel(Mossman)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$71
Agoda.com
Club Tropical Resort(Port Douglas)
US$127
US$123
Hotels.com
Saltwater Luxury Apartments(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
US$444
US$403
  • Pool
Mantra Heritage(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$141
Travelocity
US$441
US$407
  • Pool
Martinique on Macrossan(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$114
Cow Bay Hotel(Cow Bay)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnight walksnapper islandrainforest experiencemosquito netself catercape tribulationsunday nightcommunal kitchenown bathroomsocial areafantastic experiencecommunal areasamazing rainforestsunday bbqsights and soundslaid backstayed one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My wife and I not the roughing it type, so when a friend told us to go to Crocodylus, I made my booking with trepidation. I even hedged by choice by booking 2 days in Cairns and 2 in Sydney to de-tox myself. That was my biggest regret ever. I should have done the full week there.

The rooms were super clean and the bathroom and toilet were so hygenic, I wished I had more newspapers to read. Steve and Sally run the place with little help and are so friendly and helpful. When I asked him what I should do if I saw a spider in my room, he told me not to tell the other guests, or they'd all want one too and they weren't easy to come by. It was hard to believe that if you stepped 2 feet off the path to your cottage, you would find yourself in real jungle, yet the scariest beats around were ground fowl and stick insects (even the giant ones are not scary). I did not opt for the $25 dormitory bed, but the family cottage, which sleeps 6. Beds were clean and comfy and they each had insect nets. After the first night, I chose not to even use my nets (starting to feel like a lumberjack already) and didn't get a single mozzie bite.

Steve mans the bar and reception, while Sally does all the work, cooking and washing. There is no caviar or foie gras, but the menu was tasty and filling, with some international variety. They gave us the night walk tour and recommended Kayak trips, Crocodile tours and a great barrier reef day trip that was the highlight of our holiday. Being a landlubber, I was most worried about my first kayak trip, but they arranged the 6-year old special for me and I managed.

The local community was so friendly and every tour and restaurant they recommended left nothing to be desired. Going back for sure next year for minimum 10 days this time

Dan S

Room Tip: Go for the family room, with the toilet and bathroom with hot and cold water.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We visited as a family of 4 (kids 11 & 9). This was the best experience to really be in the middle of the rainforest. Bungalow was clean, roomy with comfy beds, insect nets, hot shower and good ceiling fan. The free walking trail was so much fun and a real adventure. Hosts Steve and Sally were friendly and very helpful. Steve was a great host behind his groovy bar where even the locals visit. Sally offered a good selection of great quality meals that were big servings, good price and tasted great. Kids were happy with the meals too. There is a big area where you sit for meals and a heap of games for entertainment if you just want to chill for the day with the rainforest noises. December was the start of the wet season so it was probably less busy than it is in peak season but the weather was actually perfect and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend December travel to the daintree.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Melfamily
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Clean and comfortable in the middle of the Daintree Rainforest. Steve & Shelly are great hosts and I would highly recommend their on-site night walk as they are very knowledgeable and helpful of so many things. The cabins are clean and the ability to bring your own groceries in and use the community kitchen is very nice. I would highly recommend it and it is a great value.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kbum1973
Reviewed 15 December 2013

So enjoyed our rainforest stay, enhanced by our hosts. Masses of information to help you decde what you want to do in the lcal area. Lovely meals and wonderful to be able to get up and go straight on a walk before breakfast - thanks.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma W
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Our stay at Crocodylus could not have been better. We thoroughly enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, the sights and sounds of the rainforest right on our doorstep, Sally's wonderful and reasonably priced home-made food and all their tips and treats (real coffee, for instance). Highlight of our trip was the overnight kayaking tour to Snapper Island, everything was well prepared, guide Col was excellent and the experience to be just the three of us over night under a starry sky on a tropical island was simply exceptional. What more do you want on a holiday? We were able to snorkel at various places around the island (all camping and other equipment was provided) and we also discovered sea turtles from the "Telstra" rock where there is even mobile phone reception. We would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to experience the rainforest first hand.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple