I had really anticipated this one-night trip to the Daintree area, which I had planned for several months, and was initially pleased to see it, nestled in amongst the dense forest. I arrived about Noon, and my room was not ready yet, so the hostess suggested a very nice little restaurant near the ocean about ten kilometers away. Fair enough. She was also very friendly, although not responsive when I indicated that the price seemed a little high. There is also a small pub/hotel directly across the road which offers decent meals.
The price, however, ($175/night) seemed steep for what I got. The rooms were rather small and dated. The kitchen window shutters would not close all of the way, so for privacy at night I needed to jam a blanket into the space underneath the shutters. The lighting was rather poor, the only way I could read at night was to sit at the kitchen table with all lights turned on....the two small bed-lamps did not provide nearly enough illumination.
The bed was comfortable, and the cable TV worked well; however, there was quite a bit of noise outside from some other visitors, with laughter and loud voices continuing until about 11:30 PM, so I was put in a rather bad mood to go to sleep.
Finally, the price did not even include breakfast. The office did not open until 9 AM, so I was unable to share my opinions, as I had to get an early start back to Port Douglas. I will NOT return here on a future visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Daintree Rainforest Retreat is a small family owned motel. It sits nestled in the forest surrounded by towering trees and lush gardens. While we do not have a restaurant we do offer a covered BBQ area with its own sitting area and a fully equipped and comfortable communal kitchen together with 2 further sitting/dining areas. The Cow Bay Hotel is a 2 minute walk and while it is very close, it can be neither seen nor heard from the motel. Our rooms are cooled by ceiling fans and guests can further escape the tropical heat with a dip in our palm fringed swimming pool. We look forward to seeing you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, LateRooms, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Daintree Rainforest Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Daintree Rainforest Retreat Hotel Cow Bay
- Daintree Rainforest Retreat Daintree Region/Cow Bay