“Good but spend a few dollars on the nicer rooms”

Daintree Rainforest Retreat
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cow Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights while visiting Cape Trib and Daintree. It looks like the hotel are renovating some of the rooms and we opted for one of the studios that was on offer. It was super cheap but the kitchen fittings were quite tired and it wasn't the cleanest it could have been around the kitchen area but the rest of the room was fine.

Unless you are on a tight budget, spend a few more dollars on the nicer rooms. As only a couple of rooms weren't renovated when we were there the older rooms might not be available for long.

We booked a couple of activities at reception and they gave us a discount over and above any offer we could find. Possum, who does the night time wildlife walk at Crocolylus down the road. may or may not be the best at his job in the area but it is probably worth $30 or so just to watch him for a few hours! If you the walk take a raincoat as it is called rainforest for a reason.

Room Tip: Don't opt for the older rooms that may still be on offer - spend a few more dollars on the nicer...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark098
Judy C, Owner at Daintree Rainforest Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Thank you for your review. Yes you did get a really top deal, the room has not been renovated BUT it is spotlessly clean. Unfortunately, the kitchen benchtops were painted and the paint is wearing off and I intend to rectify this during the coming quite season. This unfortunately gives the appearance of it not being clean but I scrub everything on each departure. This is the reason why you get excellent facilities at a far reduced price, but I do pride my rooms on their cleanliness. This room being such a bargain price is sold over and over and apart from yourself I have had no complaints in fact everyone that has stayed has been over the top with such a great room, right at the end of the verandah situated right in the middle of the rainforest. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and really hope you will return again one day!! At the end of the day you have to look at it, that you spend very little time in a room anyway as there is so much to do outdoors, so if you can save heaps by purchasing a cheaper room - why not!!

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Our large family (9 in all) took two rooms here for 4 days. The property is about 20 minutes north of the ferry opposite the Cow Bay Hotel (which has reasonable meals). The hostess Judy was exceptionally helpful and friendly and spend a lot of time explaining all the things to do in the Daintree. The property, although not new, is quite pleasant with basic rooms and a sort of rustic charm of yesteryear, and a nice pool. There was Foxtel in the rooms and I was able to use the 3G internet in the adjoining car park. We also had a great lunch at the BBQ on the property. Ideal base for a Daintree short stay.

Room Tip: All rooms surround a grassed area and have a similar outlook.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed here for three nights in August and had a lovely time. Judy was very helpful and the accomodation was fine for our purposes. Been in such remote part of Queensland required some planning and Judy was very helpful in suggesting places for meals, things to do and times that places are open. The night walk at crocodylus was great fun and our teenage children loved the exploration of the rainforest. Cassowaries are sighted around here and the creek at the back is a place to explore.Sea Kayaking at cow bay at dawn was my favourite activity with the turtles swimming by. Going up to cape trib was fantastic and the exotic fruit tasting is a must. We brought our own food for breakfast and lunches and cooked a couple of quick pasta meals and as long as you ask where to go for meals out in the area and eat before 7 there are some nice meals to be had!! All in all our stay at daintree was fabulous and I long to go back!!! Sad to see it up for sale and I hope someone takes over who has a passion for the place like Judy!! Thanks Judy!!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sarah278_11
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I had really anticipated this one-night trip to the Daintree area, which I had planned for several months, and was initially pleased to see it, nestled in amongst the dense forest. I arrived about Noon, and my room was not ready yet, so the hostess suggested a very nice little restaurant near the ocean about ten kilometers away. Fair enough. She was also very friendly, although not responsive when I indicated that the price seemed a little high. There is also a small pub/hotel directly across the road which offers decent meals.
The price, however, ($175/night) seemed steep for what I got. The rooms were rather small and dated. The kitchen window shutters would not close all of the way, so for privacy at night I needed to jam a blanket into the space underneath the shutters. The lighting was rather poor, the only way I could read at night was to sit at the kitchen table with all lights turned on....the two small bed-lamps did not provide nearly enough illumination.
The bed was comfortable, and the cable TV worked well; however, there was quite a bit of noise outside from some other visitors, with laughter and loud voices continuing until about 11:30 PM, so I was put in a rather bad mood to go to sleep.
Finally, the price did not even include breakfast. The office did not open until 9 AM, so I was unable to share my opinions, as I had to get an early start back to Port Douglas. I will NOT return here on a future visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank maestrolms
crowner, Owner at Daintree Rainforest Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

Yes, I do remember you well, a single older gentleman on his own. However, I do not remember any discussion with you regarding the price of your room. Unfortunately when you book through an outside agent sometimes you pay a higher price than booking direct. When you made your booking it was quite clear that breakfast was not included. The room you had has recently been renovated into an extremely lovely large room with a kitchenette, ensuite bathroom and a large sofa lounge and top quality fittings and furnishings. Our establishment is the same age as the majority of places up here, and we are proud of the condition that we keep our place in, which I think if you had stayed at other places here, you would appreciate. Please remember that you are staying in a very remote area of Australia where building costs and maintenance is much higher than elsewhere due to our extreme climate conditions.

The wooden blinds on the windows has a cord that you can adjust the height or the opening, and no other person in that room has ever had a problem doing that. I was appalled to see the blanket that you stuffed in the window, totallly unnecessary!! What a shame you didnt ask me at the time. The office opens at 8:00am not 9:00 as you have indicated and I actually saw you drive out without visiting the office first. Unfortunately, we had a group of travellers that night from the Czech Republic who were very excited about their stay and in regard to the noise I really apologise as it normally is a very quite place as I am sure other guests will testify to.
I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your one night visit but I do hope that you will return to this beautiful area again.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed here for just one night as we made a quick stop of in the Daintree Rainforest and went up to Cape Trib the next day. This is a very nice place in an amazing setting.

We showed up at about 3pm and checked into our room ready for some lunch. Unfortunately most kitchens are closed between 3-5 so we had to drive up and down until we found somewhere which is still serving food. As our accommodation was empty the kitchen was closed so we never got the option to have lunch, dinner or breakfast the next day so we had to basically forage for ourselves.

We were told that there was a bbq in the place next door between 6-8 so we cruised on over at 7 only to find that they had stopped serving food at 7. We uncomfortably asked if they could please turn the bbq on and chuck a few sausages on otherwise we would have gone without dinner. Luckily the owners were more than happy to help out so that was a bonus.

We also planned to do a rainforest night walk from 8pm but again missed out on that as we never phoned up in advance to book. My advise if you stay anywhere in this area is to book any trip in advance and make sure you have some sort of dinner plan as most places will close at 8:30pm and you could easily miss out on a meal. Plan ahead and be prepare for an early night!

I have no complaints about our accommodation. I'm just not used to having to hunt around for a meal and be isolated to the point of boredom. Beautiful place during the day. The Daintree and Cape Trib is breathtaking!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
crowner, Owner at Daintree Rainforest Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Thank you for your review. I am very sad to read this review as I always advise guests where to dine, tours etc and was upset to here of your awful experience. There certainly are places to have lunch up until 4pm, then you can always have a snack at various places between 4:00pm and 6:00pm. There are many places to dine that have exceptional dining facilities & food but if it is quite then most places up here close their dining facilities at 7:30pm. In regards to breakfast, we are ALWAYS open for brekky, hot breakfast should be ordered the day before but a contintal brekky is always available in our Tree Frogs Restaurant. Fortunately, the majority of guests seek out advice on dining, tours etc and are we are always happy to assist them. Every now & then a guest possibly feels intimidated by asking questions and goes it "alone". It is always best to check out things with Judy first as you cant beat the knowledge of a local and it is so much easier for you if tours are booked for you in advance. We do hope you to see you visit this magical part of the world and next time dont be shy to ask first!!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

When we arrived Judy was very helpful, recommending places to eat and things to do. She was also able to contact people to make bookings. There was a good breakfast, although we only had this once. We used our kitchenette and the BBQ for other nights and this was basic but fine. Looking at the other reviews I would say that those giving this place the thumbs down had unrealistic expectations for a place in the rainforest. It's supposed to be isolated without wi-fi (although you can even buy satellite wi-fi if you are totally unable to disconnect). Judy was helpful, the rooms were cleaned everyday, there was equipment to cook and you are right in the forest. We enjoyed it.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Clean, comfortable, and right in the middle of the rainforest. What more could you want? Judy was super helpful and gave her honest opinions of where to eat and what to see. Unfortunately the place is up for sale and, if I was in the hospitality business, I would buy the place in a heart beat. Meanwhile if you have a chance to spend a couple of nights in this delightful retreat and meet the lovely lady who owns the place do it now!

Room Tip: Every room has it's own character!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge
#9 of 14 in Cape Tribulation
Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience

Been to Daintree Rainforest Retreat? Share your experiences!