“close to nature!”

GreenLeadersGold level
south-west
“close to nature!”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

this is really in the rainforest: we had a green tree-frog outside the door on our first morning! It's not polished or pretentious, but it is comfortable, clean & it is surrounded by the most amazing vegetation. About as far from an anonymous chain hotel as you can get: superb!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank terrym153

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Townsville
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Stayed in April with my husband and 2 friends, we both had a Fan Palm room each which were immacuately clean, comfortable and contained everything we needed to self cater. We stayed 3 nights and bbq each night, bandicoots came wandering through the area whilst we ate they were so cute. One night Judy called us to see a large python on the path which was rather exciting. We also saw micro bats, stripy possum, musky rat kangaroos and an achidna. The wildlife around the gardens was incredible with all sorts of frogs. We made friends with another couple who had some wine with us in the bbq area and they also were very taken with this unique place.Judy was a fabulous host, very friendly and generous she gave us a free bottle of wine one night and the other couple a big box of chocolates for their wedding anniversary. We hated leaving this delightful beautiful place and we will certainly return again one day. Slow down Judy you work too hard and thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: We found it worth while paying the extra for a self catering room, you can save heaps by cooking som...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jackie M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The full name of this resort is "Daintree Rainforest Retreat Motel" - not that this is advertised anywhere on its website. Be warned this is a motel and not a retreat, and a low quality on at that,
My fiancee and I stayed 5 nights - and since we were staying for so long the owner let us stay in a larger room (i.e. with a spare bed). Naturally we used the spare bed to store clothing etc as there was minimal storage. As we checked out she tried to charge us $30 for cleaning the linen on the spare bed. Sorry? I would be very worried if you are staying nthere that you are not sleeping on clean sheets.
Admittedly we booked though a Groupon/Cudo offer so were not expecting great things. But it was truly one of the worst places I have stayed.
Upon arrival we were asked what we wanted for breakfast fried or poached eggs. My fiancee chose poached - to which the response was you have to have the same so I hope ypou like poached. We hadn't appreciated that we had to have the same breakfast every day...not exactly ideal.
We had already made provisional bookings for corcodile tours and snorkeling trips to the reef. When we mentioned this - the owner was very rude and told us we were stupid (customer service) clearly she was after the commission if we booked through her....

The other piece of news she had for us was that the power was currently down, as the generator was being fixed. Not a big issue as it was due back that afternoon. However the power was turned off at 11pm and turned back on at 6am as it was too expensive to run the generator all night and she had issues with the solar power system. Great - especially when the humidity means that you need fans on all night,

The weather while we stayed was awful...as such we had to drive south over the daintree river to escape most days. in order to make this more affordable we bought a book of tickets - on the owners advice, and the promise that she would buy the balance off us. We had 5 tickets remaining at the end for which she offered $10 - less than 1 ticket at face value.

The offer we bought advertised free wifi. When we asked about this - we were told that the wifi was chargable and only 1hr was available every 24 hrs...really useful!

In general the room was filthy, the hospitality was totally non-existant, the price was exorbitant, the food was woeful, the facilities 3rd world.

If you stay here - you have been warned - it is a total disaster, AVOID AVOID AVOID

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Manalien
Judy C, Owner at Daintree Rainforest Retreat, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Well what a horrible little couple you turned out to be!!

Firstly you came up here on a really good CHEAP deal with Groupon, which included a free bottle of fine Australian Wine, Free cooked breakfast every day, free return ferry pass and discounts on your tours. The deal with Groupon is that they take a large percentage of the price you paid. We make just enough money from this deal to cover our linen expenses and nothing else!! At the time of your stay, you were the only couple having a cooked daily breakfast, so it just isnt cost effective to cook poached eggs for one person and fried or scrambled for another when it is free and we are not getting paid for it. So I gave you the option of having fried or poached eggs. You got orange juice, poached eggs, bacon, sausages and tomato with two pieces of toast every morning, which was cooked especially for you and you were waited on. Not bad value for a free breakfast, I dont know what more anyone can offer, but I do know that the larger hotels do not offer a breakfast of this standard for these types of deals. I did ask you every morning if you enjoyed your breakfast and you said yes, not once did you ask for anything different. I guess I am lucky that the other 75 couples that have come here on the Groupon deal have been gracious enough to thank me on their departure for such a great stay.
On your arrival I offered you an upgraded room which was larger than the one that went with the deal out of the goodness of my heart, my rooms are NEVER FILTHY, I take such great pride in offering spotlessly clean rooms to my guests and then you come along and tell such lies because you felt you were hardly done by, just over the fact that you tried to sell your tickets to me for a ridiculous price which in light of the extra bed and pillow cases on the floor etc I refused to pay, but I did give you $10 for the tickets and no charge for the linen, and at this point I will say that alot of guests that have stayed here in the past have been generous enough people to just give me the left over tickets which I always have appreciated. In fact, I only just remembered, that I have NEVER had a guest that takes the Doona Cover Pillow case off the spare bed and the other white pillow case as well to use as foot mats on the tiled floor!! unheard of, you are in the tropics, I was astounded to think that someone would do this, and not ask first as if it was so important to you to step out of bed onto a mat, I would had given you bath mats, not the bed linen from the spare bed - what a hide!! due to the extremely nasty review I can just imagine how you would react if someone did this to your linen in your house.

I pointed out to you when you first took the room that the single bed in the room (there is also a large sofa in the room, table & chairs) was not included in the price and if you were to soil the sheets (which you did ) then you would be charged, as we have to pay extra for the linen and our labour costs in remaking the bed and I dont think this is unreasonable. We are not a five star hotel, we do NOT charge 5 star prices, what you see on our website is what you get, but most people tell us that in reality out place is better and I dont know what you are going on about with the wording Motel, it certainly is on our website so that is just another way that you are using Trip Advisor to spread your vindictive attitude.
As it poured down raining for the week you were here, and you had booked tours on the other side of the river ($23 each time you cross) I suggested you buy a book of tickets as it would work out less expensive and that way it would give you access to the Tablelands etc for a days outing etc due to the rain. I felt really sorry for you that you had booked a reef trip because the weather was so awful (all over Queensland at the time, not just here!) I NEVER once said you were stupid, perhaps you felt that way yourself for booking the tour in advance and I NEVER would ever say that to a guest for booking their own tours and I take great offence, because when we do earn commission I always give our guests half of it back as a discount. The commission that we earn from most tours is only so small that I really do not care if guests book the tours themselves or not as it saves me alot of work and phone calls. I also spent an hour with you going over the maps and suggesting good things for you to do on your stay. No Customer service there - yes!!! Even the WiFi you got wrong - it is available 24 hours a day - another lie that makes your story sound good.

Your room was serviced every day, and I consider your review to be very vindictive, full of lies and I would be ashamed to use a good site such as TripAdviser where most people look to help plan their holidays, to spoil someone elses holiday to give you some kind of thrill to outpour your vindictive nature, it is people like you that make me feel like this aint worth it any more!!!!!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This is not a retreat! The owner treated us terrible and charged us 200 dollars a night for a room without electricity!! She had power issues, which can happen. But she turned off the generator from 11.00 pm until 06.00 am, leaving you trying to sleep in 30 degrees and 75% humidity? She was incredibly insulting to us when we wanted to check out the next morning and charged us 200!! dollars for one night without power! If you book budget accommodation you can expect this, but at her rates?
Please drive to cape trib just 25mins further. Plenty of choice,good value for money and lovely welcoming people everywhere!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dutchoz
Judy C, Owner at Daintree Rainforest Retreat, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
This is the second review you have written, the first review and my reply just disappeared from Trip Adviser - quite astonishing!! I am still scratching my head over that one.
Firstly you booked for 2 nights and I gave you a special price of $125 per night for a fully self contained room, which you said you loved when you checked in. Secondly, we live in an area where there is no power and we have to generate our own, which is extremely costly and unfortunately at times things go wrong (as they do in other major cities when there are weather extremes) which was also very stressful for myself. I explained to you when you checked in that our Inverter had broken down and a new one was being sent from Melbourne and that in these circumstances I had to turn the generator off at 11pm and back on at 6am and I gave you the opportunity to cancel your booking and refund your deposit but you both said it was not a problem, took the torch that I gave you, we then spent an hour going over a map and all the things that you could do during your stay. As it was raining heavy, the monsoon had arrived, and it brings with it much cooler weather and the humidity drops dramatically. It was actually 24 at night, not 30 and about 40% humidity, I had seven other rooms out during this same period and no-one else complained or left early. I especially asked everyone staying if they were uncomfortable during the night and everyone else said no, it wasnt hot and 2 rooms actually put a blanket on their bed. I was sympathetic to the fact that you wanted to check out early and was not charging you for the two nights, which indeed I was entitled to do, but when I explained to you that I would have to charge you extra for the room for a one night stay, as I gave you the special price for a minimum of 2 nights, you were both so rude and continued to argue with me and raised your voices and refused to pay the extra $25 that I charged, and even screamed at me that you were going to stop your credit card so I could not get paid at all. Sometimes you should look at the way you treat people and it may give you a clue as to the way you are treated in return. The truth of the matter is that you did not want to stay any longer because you had booked yourselves into Jungle Surfing that morning, and then you wanted to go back to Cairns as you felt you had nothing to do because it was raining so heavy. You put this review on Trip Adviser to be extremely spiteful, and it is such a shame that people like you can use Trip Adviser in this regard instead of a genuine review.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in February. We were visiting in monsoon season so it was quiet and incredibly peaceful. The rooms are simple, clean and beautifully decorated in vibrant colours that mimic the rainforest surroundings. Judy, the owner, is wonderful - she booked everything for us, from diving on the agincourt reef (best outfits are Calypso and Poseidon in Port Douglas), to crocodile spotting on the daintree river. She had some great tips for beaches to visit, self-guided rainforest walks and good restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Charlie M
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2012

The rainforest retreat is nestled right into the rainforest. The rooms are nice and well decorated, very comfortable and quiet. The retreat has a pool and great gardens. There is a really nice BBQ area available for the guests.

We stayed two nights and had a cooked breakfast both mornings which was very nice and big enough to keep us going most of the day. Breakfast was served in a delightful area by a fish pond - you really felt like you were in paradise.

The service was homely and personal. Although we arrived late and there was no one there to meet us, a note had been left with instructions on how to find our room etc and in the morning we had the area and the attractions explained to us which really helped out stay.

The restaurant was not open during our stay but there is a pub a short (2 min) walk away that served good food and was very friendly.

I will definitely stay here again if I am back in Daintree.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SortedNet
Leeds
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights while visiting Cape Trib and Daintree. It looks like the hotel are renovating some of the rooms and we opted for one of the studios that was on offer. It was super cheap but the kitchen fittings were quite tired and it wasn't the cleanest it could have been around the kitchen area but the rest of the room was fine.

Unless you are on a tight budget, spend a few more dollars on the nicer rooms. As only a couple of rooms weren't renovated when we were there the older rooms might not be available for long.

We booked a couple of activities at reception and they gave us a discount over and above any offer we could find. Possum, who does the night time wildlife walk at Crocolylus down the road. may or may not be the best at his job in the area but it is probably worth $30 or so just to watch him for a few hours! If you the walk take a raincoat as it is called rainforest for a reason.

Room Tip: Don't opt for the older rooms that may still be on offer - spend a few more dollars on the nicer...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark098
Judy C, Owner at Daintree Rainforest Retreat, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Thank you for your review. Yes you did get a really top deal, the room has not been renovated BUT it is spotlessly clean. Unfortunately, the kitchen benchtops were painted and the paint is wearing off and I intend to rectify this during the coming quite season. This unfortunately gives the appearance of it not being clean but I scrub everything on each departure. This is the reason why you get excellent facilities at a far reduced price, but I do pride my rooms on their cleanliness. This room being such a bargain price is sold over and over and apart from yourself I have had no complaints in fact everyone that has stayed has been over the top with such a great room, right at the end of the verandah situated right in the middle of the rainforest. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and really hope you will return again one day!! At the end of the day you have to look at it, that you spend very little time in a room anyway as there is so much to do outdoors, so if you can save heaps by purchasing a cheaper room - why not!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cow Bay
Daintree Crocodylus
Daintree Crocodylus
#1 of 2 in Cow Bay
Daintree Wilderness Lodge

Been to Daintree Rainforest Retreat? Share your experiences!