“Enjoyed both stays here”

Daintree Rainforest Retreat
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cow Bay
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was my 2nd stay in this accommodation, both times just as enjoyable, the manager Judy couldn't do enough to help us and also because she wasn't able to be there when we arrived, we received a bottle of wine and free breakfasts for the 3 nights we stayed.I call that excellent service. I love the Daintree and there is always something new to see, Judy was more than helpful with where to go to eat as the restaurant wasn't open at night but with so many great places to check out it worked out well for us. The Rainforest Retreat Motel is quite central to everything, and even though we had some rain there was still plenty to see and do. I thouroughly recommend this accommodation and it is well priced as well, if you're on a budget. Thanks Judy for a wonderful time, Lorna and Claire

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lorna449

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We had a great stay at the Retreat. The rooms are lovely and very comfortable. We loved the location and the fact that the Retreat merges into the rainforest rather than being set apart. In hindsight, we wish we'd booked for longer and will certainly be back next time. Great value and highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nandlwall
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Our family of three stayed at Daintree Forest Resort Motel, for three nights, and really enjoyed our time there, with the tropical vegetation and bird calls [didn't see the birds]. It was a new experience to be staying in the actual Rainforest, and experiencing the difference in the climate to Cairns or Port Douglas, where we had stayed a few times before. Judy was gave most freely of her time with any questions that we had. As all the rooms were open to allow air circulation, we were able to note how nice they all looked. The room we had was for a family, and had been renovated, although it must be a constant battle for the owners to maintain the motel with the damp climate. Staying in the area, allowed us to explore the Rainforest in more depth, which was what we wanted to do. Judy recommended the trip to Bloomfield Falls and it was most enjoyable, with a very knowledgeable
guide, Mick Darcy.
Well worth the stay, and would stay there again without any hesitation.!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Frances H
Reviewed 17 June 2013

It may be the beginnng of the season for tourists in the Daintree, but this place needsto spruce itself up - tired and dusty rooms, uncomfortable old beds, TV didnot work properly, dining room was closed, and this place is not even off the bitumen! On the basis of our two night stay - not recommended.

Room Tip: N/A - they are all noisy if it is Friday or Saturday night at the Cow Bay Hotel nearby!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WombatTravels
Judy C, Owner at Daintree Rainforest Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

I am so sorry you were so disappointed. You stayed in our Cicada Room which has only recently been fully renovated (like all of our rooms), so I cant see why you would say they are tired and I know that the room was not dusty!! The noise coming from the hotel was only on the Friday night and I would had complained myself except that the music stopped at 9:30pm. Unfortunately, because it is so quite up here the music travels. This does not happen very often at all and the last occasion that there was music playing at the hotel was about 2 years ago. We have to be a little more tolerant as the music stopped at 9:30pm so I could not feel justified in complaining to them. I too love to hear the sounds of the rainforest but I did not feel it was an unreasonable time. Once again I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Regarding the TV, I did explain to you when I checked you in that we did not receive signals for free to air TV (being in such a remote area) but we do provide Foxtel (26 channels) for our guests and that worked fine as I always turn on the TV and show our guests how to work the remote when I check them into the room,so I am sorry if you had a problem working the remote. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Beautiful location, surrounded by lush green gardens and bordering on rainforest. My husband & I spent 4 days here in a fan palm room & loved the quaint decor, with a Balinese feel to it. Our host Judy was very friendly and helpful with our itinery and where to eat and drink.We wish we could have stayed longer. Thanks Judy for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lucy H
Reviewed 13 May 2013

this is really in the rainforest: we had a green tree-frog outside the door on our first morning! It's not polished or pretentious, but it is comfortable, clean & it is surrounded by the most amazing vegetation. About as far from an anonymous chain hotel as you can get: superb!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank terrym153
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Stayed in April with my husband and 2 friends, we both had a Fan Palm room each which were immacuately clean, comfortable and contained everything we needed to self cater. We stayed 3 nights and bbq each night, bandicoots came wandering through the area whilst we ate they were so cute. One night Judy called us to see a large python on the path which was rather exciting. We also saw micro bats, stripy possum, musky rat kangaroos and an achidna. The wildlife around the gardens was incredible with all sorts of frogs. We made friends with another couple who had some wine with us in the bbq area and they also were very taken with this unique place.Judy was a fabulous host, very friendly and generous she gave us a free bottle of wine one night and the other couple a big box of chocolates for their wedding anniversary. We hated leaving this delightful beautiful place and we will certainly return again one day. Slow down Judy you work too hard and thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: We found it worth while paying the extra for a self catering room, you can save heaps by cooking som...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge
#8 of 14 in Cape Tribulation

Been to Daintree Rainforest Retreat? Share your experiences!