“A weekend break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Stoke Ash B&B and Inns
Kent, United Kingdom
“A weekend break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had a lovely stay at this Inn from Friday to Sunday as it was our Anniversary, room 6 was away from the man building, but it was warm and cosy and cannot be faulted. The bathroom experience made me laugh though, the light comes on with movement so found it highly amusing that when sitting on the loo the light kept going off which meant I had to keep waving at the sensor lol, I only hope it wasn't giving out a Morse code signal!! The selection of food was superb and well presented, the portions are large, the choice for breakfast was also good, in fact I had poached eggs for the two mornings and they were perfect the best I have ever had! A problem with one main course at dinner was swiftly rectified without a problem. The members of staff are attentive, helpful and very polite - thank you making our stay stress free. A place I would recommend for either a weekend break or just an evening meal.

Just a question why is it that Film 4 is not shown on Freeview? Is there a legal reason?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Anne C, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
This is an interesting one! Firstly thank you for your kind words and for taking time to leave a review. I am particularly interested in this issue with the sensor because plainly it should not work in this way! It sounds as though you had quite a work out! We will get this issue sorted immediately. I am glad to hear that our team delivered to your expectations and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

This is our 3rd stay, since last stay bathroom has had a makeover, and it was lovely. The room was nice and warm when we went in. plenty tea and coffee hot choc and super bisuets. The breakfast always good,plenty of fresh fruit .The only downside is the dark curtains and carpet making room look to drab,

Room Tip: ask for room furthest away from road. We did hear traffic in room, but have not in past so could hav...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Anne C, Manager at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
I am glad to read that you approve of the bathroom makeover, this is a rolling program of improvement and it’s great to know that it doesn’t go un-noticed. We take on board your comments regarding the bedroom curtains and we shall deal with this issue in due course. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business for one night in January 2014. The hotel was easy to find, and despite being on a main road was actually quiet in terms of noise. The staff are friendly. Rooms are nice, with proper furniture, decent heating, free WIFI, and a power shower. I took both dinner and breakfast, both of which were top notch. I will certainly stay here again!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Oh wow! Thank you, I find your review a truly great endorsement of our product as I note you have reviewed many establishments. Thanks again for taking time out.
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

7 of us had a post Christmas meal at the WH which was very good. The food was enjoyable and there are plenty of veggie options available. The your man with the piercing serving us was great while the older lady with blonde hair and glasses was not! It seemed more important to clear tables than deal with current customers and she really could put on a smile. Other than that we had a very enjoyable time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write. I am glad that you enjoyed your meal at the White Horse inn Stoke Ash. I am sorry to hear that you found one of the team less than helpful. I will copy the team in on your comments as I feel it’s important that they know how things are seen from a guests perspective. Our team here is made up of a good bunch of hard working people, I am sure that you caught this team member of guard, but I feel a little reminder of expectation won’t go a miss thank you.
Wymondham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I went for lunch with my parents on a Saturday, having booked on the same day. The food was fine, we all had seabass which was cooked ok, but I prefer mine with a crispy skin! The kitchen was happy to accommodate changing the potatoes from new to chips for my dad so score points for that. Desserts were good, I shared a baileys cheesecake with my mum, which was incredibly rich and very boozy, I'm not sure I could've managed it on my own! Service was ok, it didn't feel all that personal and getting drinks took a long time, probably about 10-15 minutes.

Overall decent and easy to get to, park etc.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am disappointed to read that your bass had no crispy skin, we do aim to achieve this with out of course overcooking the flesh it sounds as though we disappointed on this front. I will use your comments for future team briefs. The drinks delivery time sounds shocking we aim to have drinks to the table in 5 minutes. I will address this and I hope that you will visit again with a critical eye and I hope that you will repost as you find. Our customers shape who we are and we aim to for every guest to leave more than satisfied. Thank you for taking the time to write.
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

We went for an early Saturday night meal, our first away from our new baby. The staff were very lovely and the venue itself is really very nice however I have to give a poor review due to the food.
The menu, apart from the homemade soup, was straight off a 3663 lorry. The choices seemed to be very old fashioned. My husband had the soup, which he couldn't fault, and I had the prawn cocktail which was basic but nice. For mains, again my husband's roast was nice but I had the filo pie which had been liberally sprinkled with flour, making any flavour there impossible to taste. I did mention this to the waitress. The salmon in the pie was also very watery.
The main issue I had though was later that evening I was very ill so I cannot recommend the food here. It does seem a nice place to go for a drink though.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HerbieMum
Anne C, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your food on the evening. I feel that I must seek to reassure any readers that we strive to offer only homemade and home cooked food. Our intension is not be trendy or in any way faddy, we instead aim to provide our customers with good quality popular food. To the best of my knowledge we are one of a very limited number of pubs in the area that prides ourselves on making all of our own desserts from scratch using very high quality ingredients, the Christmas puddings have gone down very well! I am disappointed that you felt the salmon filo was a letdown, we have served in excess of 200 portions during the festive period and this is the first problem I have been aware of. As far as I am aware all filo pastry must be flour coated in order to prevent it from sticking to other sheets of paper thin pastry. I feel that and I would encourage others to contact us if they ever have any reason to suspect food safety issues as soon as possible so that we can investigate immediately. I believe a review of this nature which is purely speculative and unverified to be libellous (IT IS FOR THIS REASON I SHALL BE REQUESTING TRIP ADVISOR TO REMOVE YOUR REVIEW) We have a 5* award for food hygiene independently awarded by the Environmental Health Department.
Stowmarket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

A really enjoyable evening meal with friends. We all opted for the £11.95 for two courses, food was excellent. It was so lovely to see gluten free options, especially a choice of three GF desserts - so often as a Coeliac I miss out on dessert. The coffee and Tia Marie mousse was amazing, my friends had the Lemon Bombe, which was delicious. The place was busy and buzzing obviously very popular. Fantastic value and friendly, happy staff. As mentioned, brilliant to see gluten free options and so clearly identified on the menu without having to send the staff to check with the chef as to what is ok to eat. Well done to everyone at the White Horse, will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Glenda T
We are really pleased that you enjoyed your time at the White Horse and that you found the Gluten free options enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again soon. More and more people are taking advantage of the fixed price menu which is great.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Ash
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
The Auberge
The Auberge
#1 of 1 in Yaxley

Been to The White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!