African Queen
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Mapledurham
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
The George Hotel(Pangbourne)
  • Restaurant
Weir View House(Pangbourne)
View Hotel
All reviewsgorenghenley on thamesday cruisereal characterenglish countrysidefellow passengerswonderful scenerycabinbonniehorningmooredskipperhostsaccommodationtoiletcowleyplumbing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We had a nice time on board , felt very comfortable with the hospitality and Andy was a good host and made us feel very welcome, we met Bonny briefly but was very pleasant and wished us an enjoyable stay, the food was very good and the menu was varied,our only criticism we have was that the mattress on our bed was uncomfortable but hey ho it was only for one night so could put up with it, Bobby and Cherry were good staff, overall an enjoyable night and certainly something different.

Room Tip: try and get the premier cabin
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kev530
Reviewed 15 November 2012

It was an adventure; our host Andy gelled the arriving guests together - he was a great raconteur!!!.....the boat needs a new gang plank!
We were offered the menu but were told the special of the night "African Malay platter" would be good & it was.....
It was everyone's 'choice'. Andy asked if we would all like to sit together & we had meal on platters between four....we really enjoyed the food & the company.... But I don't think "Mr Andy" has taken any notice of The Hotel Inspector ....
Great night for something different but quite expensive.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Richard_Vicki
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Just came back from a terrific weekend aboard this boat . It was a surprise for my wife's birthday . All I can say is don't listen to the bad reviews on this one . It was an amazing experience . All the other passengers were really friendly and a truly great bunch andy does sit with you at night and tells some great story's and is a great fella . Bobby the crew member is a diamond nothing is to much trouble and he bends over backwards for you . His wife cherry is also lovely too . Bonny is out the way most of the time but very friendly when you see her and a great cook . The food was lovely . All in all we had a great time and met some great people who made the trip . Thanks to everyone on board .

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank telthecabromford
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Loved every minute of our trip. I took my mum as she had grown up in the area and dreamed of going back on the River. She was eldest on board and was made to feel very special. The food was great, Andy was such fun and a great host. The boat is clean and Bobby is a real sweetie. Not sure what planet some of the other reviewers are on but I guess we all have our own take on something. We met a great group of people and had a very special time. I would highly recommend The African Queen and the whole experience it has to offer, I dont there is anything else like it. Stunning, Fun and Unique.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank genesissurfshop
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This boat is very unusual and I'm amazed that it can get away with what it gets away with. Husband and wife team Andy and Bonnie run it with the help of the lovely Bobby. Bonnie was initially good on the phone when we made contact first but then later on when we were on the way, Andy called with lots of contrasting instructions to those we had already been given by Bonnie! Having not seen the 1st show of the Hotel Inspector until recentlly when it was almost all repeated on the 2nd show I was amazed at how LITTLE Andy had heeded Alex's instructions about leaving the guests alone.

On arrival we rang Bonnie to agree the earlier made arrangements of Andy collecting us from across the river on his dinghy. She was obviously busy making the dinner (she is a good cook!) but her manner was really bad and she didn't have time to talk to me so before we could ask about out bikes being carried over on the boat she promptly put the phone down on me.

Thankfully we had a nice evening up to a point. After a long and weary cycle to the boat we arrived before 8pm - as we were told that dinner would be served between 7 and 9 - and we didn't get offered a drink on arrival or at all really....until dinner was served. Dinner is a whole story unto itself! "Pot Luck is what you get on this boat"....there is a full menu on the website and on the table but it gets whisked away and we were told initially that all there was available was vegetable samosas. From the Starter part of the menu!!!! Then a little later we were told - oh actually there is something else available...."Beef casserole" - which would you choose after a day of cycling? Even if you were vegetarian!

I was hugely disappointed to discover there were no locks on my door of any kind. No key. No lock on the inside even. My friends next door had a lock on the inside of theirs. Andy had told me quite plainly when he first met me that there was "no hanky panky on my boat!"

Andy just can't help himself to get involved with the guests and really interrupt any intimacy that might be happening between them. I did feel a little like being watched over by my father *sigh*

A great character but I think his talents are wasted on this boat. He would do better as an entertainer in a larger complex with lots of willing and eager participants to choose from.

Room Tip: Don't choose the door at the bottom of the stairs - it has no key or lock inside! You don't get given a choice anyway you get given your room on arrival.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends