“Third time”

African Queen
Swindon
“Third time”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I have just booked my 3rd visit to The Agrican Queen. I can't wait to get on board again.
Nothing I could say would truly do justice to the work put in by the crew, nothing is too much trouble. Bobby has a smile that never slips, even when dealing with locks in the pouring rain. His wife, Cherry, is also sunny. Bonnie is a lovely lady, warm and gracious. Andy is Andy, like Marmite, I love him and the tales he tells. I come from Africa too, and I can vouch for his more outlandish tales, Africa is full of eccentric or slightly insane people.
I am so looking forward to my next visit. Hopefully Mother Nature will be kind enough to keep the river safe for cruising, but if not, I know I'm in for a fun time anyway.

2 Thank Cheryl_Easton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Spent several days aboard a 100ft Dutch Barge! Excellent food - Bonnie is a superb chef, ably assisted by Bobby. Wonderful atmosphere. Compact accommodation but exceedingly clean and very functional! and "user friendly". Andy is an excellent mine host - tells very funny stories and has a really good sense of humour. Beautiful countryside. An experience to treasure and to repeat!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Patrick M
Yaxham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I'd seen this boat on the net some time ago and had promised myself a trip at some time in the future. Well a three day stay over Christmas was on offer and we decided to take the plunge. For the price it was excellent value. The staff, Bobby & Cherrie were brilliant, Bonny is a lovely lady and Andy was, well Andy! There were 15 of us on board and they were a great crowd, friendly and willing to join in all the entertainment. Yes the cabins are small as is the en suite, but this is a small boat. I would recommend anyone to try this experience; it is different and thoroughly enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Grahame D
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We had a nice time on board , felt very comfortable with the hospitality and Andy was a good host and made us feel very welcome, we met Bonny briefly but was very pleasant and wished us an enjoyable stay, the food was very good and the menu was varied,our only criticism we have was that the mattress on our bed was uncomfortable but hey ho it was only for one night so could put up with it, Bobby and Cherry were good staff, overall an enjoyable night and certainly something different.

Room Tip: try and get the premier cabin
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kev530
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2012

It was an adventure; our host Andy gelled the arriving guests together - he was a great raconteur!!!.....the boat needs a new gang plank!
We were offered the menu but were told the special of the night "African Malay platter" would be good & it was.....
It was everyone's 'choice'. Andy asked if we would all like to sit together & we had meal on platters between four....we really enjoyed the food & the company.... But I don't think "Mr Andy" has taken any notice of The Hotel Inspector ....
Great night for something different but quite expensive.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Richard_Vicki
romford
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Just came back from a terrific weekend aboard this boat . It was a surprise for my wife's birthday . All I can say is don't listen to the bad reviews on this one . It was an amazing experience . All the other passengers were really friendly and a truly great bunch andy does sit with you at night and tells some great story's and is a great fella . Bobby the crew member is a diamond nothing is to much trouble and he bends over backwards for you . His wife cherry is also lovely too . Bonny is out the way most of the time but very friendly when you see her and a great cook . The food was lovely . All in all we had a great time and met some great people who made the trip . Thanks to everyone on board .

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank telthecabromford
devon england
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Loved every minute of our trip. I took my mum as she had grown up in the area and dreamed of going back on the River. She was eldest on board and was made to feel very special. The food was great, Andy was such fun and a great host. The boat is clean and Bobby is a real sweetie. Not sure what planet some of the other reviewers are on but I guess we all have our own take on something. We met a great group of people and had a very special time. I would highly recommend The African Queen and the whole experience it has to offer, I dont there is anything else like it. Stunning, Fun and Unique.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank genesissurfshop
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mapledurham
The Elephant at Pangbourne
The George Hotel
#3 of 4 in Pangbourne
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Premier Inn Reading (Caversham Bridge) Hotel

Been to African Queen? Share your experiences!