“Close to the nature”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Silkeborg
Ballerup
“Close to the nature”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed one night in the hotel on a business trip. The room was nice and clean and they had just replaced the tv with a new model which could be connected to a computer using hdmi.
The breakfast buffet was fine would have liked the option of a fried egg but no people around to ask.
Lunch had a lot of options but could use some spices.
The surrounding nature/lakes are very nice but with no view from the hotel room.
Parking is available free of charge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Soenderborg, Denmark
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Having worked for a company in a city close by, I have stayed at the Scandic Silkeborg quite a number of times.

In general it is very family friendly, there is a swimmingpool, a playing area, also a pool table and fussball table. Most days the customers where like me travelling business men or police men so it is very secure. The police use the hotel, when the police officers recieve driving training on a nearby racing track.

The hotel is a bit away from Silkeborg city, so you would need a taxi or car if you want to visit the city. It is placed in very green surroundings, surrounded by forrest on one side, and one of the lakes on the other. The rooms are usual Scandic standard with Ikea style interior, some rooms are a bit worn.

There is free wifi, free parking and free breakfast. The staff is in general very friendly. Be aware that Scandic recetly removed the minibars from all rooms, and that cleaning is only every second day. Both for officially for environmental reasons, in reality for economic reasons. If you want cleaning every day you can get it, just tell it at check in in the reception.

As for all Scandic hotels, the same rule apply here. If you are not member of the frequent guest programme, remember to join it when you arrive. This will give you a voucher with a value of 7-8 euro, and will buy you a beer or some sodas.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Arrived to find they had mislaid my confirmed reservation made through Booking.com some 8 months in advance and had no rooms available. OK, mistakes happen but the quality of a hotel is defined by the way it handles such incidents and this hotel failed miserably. They re-accommodated us in the Radisson Silkeborg (highly recommended by the way) and we returned the following day. Call me old fashioned but if I were the manager of the Scandic I'd have made a point of contacting us to apologise. No such courtesy was forthcoming. In fact the sum total of their apology was a £9/$13 per person voucher for the overpriced and substandard hotel restaurant where we duly dined only to be overcharged by DKR100 on checkout for the meal. Luckily I had photographed the tab so there was no dispute and they removed their extra 'tax'.. No effort made to ensure our hotel account was reconciled properly to take account of the extra costs we had incurred at the Radisson and therefore a 25 minute checkout experience while I explained yet again to a new member of staff what had happened and what we were supposed to be charged.
Overbooking incident aside, you'll want to know the Scandic only cleans your room every three days. That includes making your bed. They call it being Eco friendly, I call it dirty. The dead fly on the floor next to my bed stayed there during our entire stay. What cost to the environment is there to make a bed or sweep a wooden floor? Many reviewers have complemented the breakfast; I found it to be average and no better and the coffee, I am afraid, is nothing short of vile. On the plus side the swimming pool is nice, the gym is small but adequate and....well I can't think of anything else nice to say I'm very sorry to admit. Oh, and I forgot to say the beds are really soft, and for me therefore uncomfortable. No air con either (not Eco friendly I guess).
You'll have guessed by now I hated this hotel and think the management is extremely poor. Book at your own peril.

Room Tip: Ring them in advance to re confirm your booking; they obviously have a habit of losing them!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Angus65
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

Sits just a few miles outside of beautiful Silkeborg town centre. The hotel staff were great and willing to help with anything. The breakfast was fantastic- huge selection and they opened very early for us when we needed it. Dinner was also very top quality. The gym was small but good and open 24/7. Nice place

• Stayed July 2013
Veenendaal, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We have stayed at this hotel with a sports team in preparation of an event in Silkeborg. Prior to our stay we sent out requirements and wishes to the hotel. Everything was taken care of on arrival. We had a smooth check in with a group of 30 persons. Hotel rooms look basic, but are clean.
The hotel reserved our own areas for meals and meetings. We even sent out our menu request to the hotel prior to our stay and the hotel's kitchen took great care of it. We used the regular breakfast buffet, which was very extended. The food was of an excellent quality! Even requests on site were taken care of.
The hotel has a small fitness and pool area. The hotel is situated outside the town of Silkeborg (5-10 minutes to city center) but in a beautiful and peaceful environment. There is a lake nearby, which offers a nice walk along. There is a road nearby, but we have not experienced any noise in the hotel rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Stayed during home leave to DK, 4 nights with family

Super location near nature and lake, easy parking, room very nice and clean, bathroom clean, breakfast included super for full family - both kids wanting pancakes, and the adults targetting fresh fruit etc.

Overall exactly want you need as a family, nothing more, nothing less

Room Tip: 1203 facing the garden
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I had to work a UK bank Holiday weekend in summer in 2012 and I had promised my son that I would do something cool with him. My boss allowed me to take him with me on my trip to Silkeborg, and on recommendation I booked the Scandic there.

It was a night drive from the airport when we arrived but it was pretty easy to find. The check in staff were charm itself and made a fuss of my 12 year old son. They upgraded my room to a double with bunk beds. We didn't need this as we shared the giant comfy double bed, but they were impressive how they folded out of cabinets on the walls !

Not opulent but a very comfortable room: large bathroom, flat screen TV, and a picture window open to the grass at the rear of the hotel.

My son noticed a trampoline back there for kids to use and loved to climb out of the window for a bounce when he felt like it !

This Scandic is very well equipped: there is a huge swimming pool in a giant sunroom outback overlooking countryside. Amazingly it never had any other users when we were in it.

Pool table, gym , darts board all gave distraction.

Breakfast was up to usual Scandic standard with lots of coldcuts, local cheese, pastries and a raft of hot "american" items.

We borrowed the hotel cycles every day , and found it was a lovely ride along the lakes to Silkeborg town centre: a quaint place with lots to do and places to eat. Nearby there is also the Aqua wildlife park which was a wonderful day in the sun with my boy.

Silkeborg surprised me as it makes for a pretty excellent destination for a short adventure holiday for a father and son, and teh Scandic was just about perfect as a place to use as a base during this time.

It is a 10-minute taxi ride ( or a cycle!) from the town centre and major business parks but the payoff is peace in the lovely lake district.

We really enjoyed our stay in Silkeborg and in the Scandic. We intend to revisit with all the family in summer 2013.

Room Tip: On the back with a view of the pond and lawns is very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silkeborg
Radisson Blu Papirfabrikken Hotel, Silkeborg
Montra Hotel Sabro Kro
Hotel Svostrup Kro
Hotel Svostrup Kro
#5 of 10 in Silkeborg

Been to Scandic Silkeborg? Share your experiences!