“OK hotel, nothing more or less”
Review of Scandic Silkeborg

Scandic Silkeborg
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Silkeborg
Norway
“OK hotel, nothing more or less”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here for one night, passing through Denmark with kids. The pool (and price) was the deciding factor. We were a bit hesitant due to other reviews mentioning mould, etc, but experienced nothing of this sort. Positives: Good service (we were allowed to stay for two hours longer than normal check-out), breakfast was included, kid-friendly (trampoline outside, play room and pool inside). Negatives: Our room was on the ground-ground-ground floor, ie two floors down from the reception (as it's located on a slope or whatyoucallit), and with no air-condition, and with oor quality on the TV. The hotel is a bit isolated, with no other restaurants nearby, and on the outside of Silkeborg.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TPost
Birthe J, Direktør at Scandic Silkeborg, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear guest - thank you very much for your feedback - we always use our guest comments and we can always be better - good to hear that we give good service - we look forward to see you again at Scandic Silkeborg - best regards - BJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I simply could not believe my eyes when I got to my room / bathroom ! Mold everywhere. It was so scary I thought "mold mushrooms" will fall on my head ! Thank God I stayed there for only one night. I gave evaluation card to the receptionist but I am not sure what she did with that .....
I expected more from that hotel and because of that cleanless issue I will avoid Scandic from then on.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 313 - extremly unclean bathroom
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Amy M
Birthe J, Direktør at Scandic Silkeborg, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear guest
I would like to say thank you for your feedback from your stay at Scandic Silkeborg.
I regret that we did not deliver the quality that
a hotel should be and it is not satisfactory that we do not take our guest comments seriously.
We have followed up routine on cleaning and also about the communication must be present when our guests turn to our reception.
I'm really sorry to read that you will not choose Scandic going forward, and would really like to have the opportunity to show that we can offer good quality and the possibility of a new stay at Scandic Silkeborg, I often like to deposition - please contact me for a new accommodation at Scandic Silkeborg - you are welcome to send my an email - thanks a lot.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed on business due to the location of the next days meetings. Hotel was really well put together and the gym and pool are a great thing at the end/beginning of a busy day. Free wifi and the staff are really helpful. The food in the restaurant and breakfast are both very good. Really quite as there is not a huge amount in the local area, so don't book if you are looking for a wild party town.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jonathan W
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Normal Scandic experience. Clean nice size rooms. Restaurant on site with general Scandic menu. Also a small bar. Breakfast had good choise of warm and cold dishes. Location is very beautiful, although slightly off from the central. However for that reason, hotel is pretty quiet so you'll get a good sleep. I would recommend this place if you need a place to eat, sleep and get ready for next day as you dont have to leave the premises after you arrive.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank drg313
Ballerup
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed one night in the hotel on a business trip. The room was nice and clean and they had just replaced the tv with a new model which could be connected to a computer using hdmi.
The breakfast buffet was fine would have liked the option of a fried egg but no people around to ask.
Lunch had a lot of options but could use some spices.
The surrounding nature/lakes are very nice but with no view from the hotel room.
Parking is available free of charge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Soenderborg, Denmark
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Having worked for a company in a city close by, I have stayed at the Scandic Silkeborg quite a number of times.

In general it is very family friendly, there is a swimmingpool, a playing area, also a pool table and fussball table. Most days the customers where like me travelling business men or police men so it is very secure. The police use the hotel, when the police officers recieve driving training on a nearby racing track.

The hotel is a bit away from Silkeborg city, so you would need a taxi or car if you want to visit the city. It is placed in very green surroundings, surrounded by forrest on one side, and one of the lakes on the other. The rooms are usual Scandic standard with Ikea style interior, some rooms are a bit worn.

There is free wifi, free parking and free breakfast. The staff is in general very friendly. Be aware that Scandic recetly removed the minibars from all rooms, and that cleaning is only every second day. Both for officially for environmental reasons, in reality for economic reasons. If you want cleaning every day you can get it, just tell it at check in in the reception.

As for all Scandic hotels, the same rule apply here. If you are not member of the frequent guest programme, remember to join it when you arrive. This will give you a voucher with a value of 7-8 euro, and will buy you a beer or some sodas.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Arrived to find they had mislaid my confirmed reservation made through Booking.com some 8 months in advance and had no rooms available. OK, mistakes happen but the quality of a hotel is defined by the way it handles such incidents and this hotel failed miserably. They re-accommodated us in the Radisson Silkeborg (highly recommended by the way) and we returned the following day. Call me old fashioned but if I were the manager of the Scandic I'd have made a point of contacting us to apologise. No such courtesy was forthcoming. In fact the sum total of their apology was a £9/$13 per person voucher for the overpriced and substandard hotel restaurant where we duly dined only to be overcharged by DKR100 on checkout for the meal. Luckily I had photographed the tab so there was no dispute and they removed their extra 'tax'.. No effort made to ensure our hotel account was reconciled properly to take account of the extra costs we had incurred at the Radisson and therefore a 25 minute checkout experience while I explained yet again to a new member of staff what had happened and what we were supposed to be charged.
Overbooking incident aside, you'll want to know the Scandic only cleans your room every three days. That includes making your bed. They call it being Eco friendly, I call it dirty. The dead fly on the floor next to my bed stayed there during our entire stay. What cost to the environment is there to make a bed or sweep a wooden floor? Many reviewers have complemented the breakfast; I found it to be average and no better and the coffee, I am afraid, is nothing short of vile. On the plus side the swimming pool is nice, the gym is small but adequate and....well I can't think of anything else nice to say I'm very sorry to admit. Oh, and I forgot to say the beds are really soft, and for me therefore uncomfortable. No air con either (not Eco friendly I guess).
You'll have guessed by now I hated this hotel and think the management is extremely poor. Book at your own peril.

Room Tip: Ring them in advance to re confirm your booking; they obviously have a habit of losing them!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Angus65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silkeborg
Radisson Blu Papirfabrikken Hotel, Silkeborg
Kongensbro Kro
Kongensbro Kro
#7 of 10 in Silkeborg
Montra Hotel Sabro Kro

Been to Scandic Silkeborg? Share your experiences!