Thon Hotel Alta
US$129
ScandicHotels.com
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewspizza restaurantshopping centrenice hotelbreakfast is servednorthern lightsbed was very comfortablebusiness tripcafes and restaurantssmall kitchenettebroad selectionreduced pricenice and clean roomsswimming hallnorth capedinner buffetsmoked salmonmini kitchen
Reviewed 14 May 2012

With some trepadation I booked a room at the Thon Hotel in Alta, where i was fortunate in meeting Manager Linda, whose welcome quickly put my fears to rest. The Reception area is compact, and includes both a computer & coffee machine for guests. I was also suprised and
pleased by the quiet decor (unlike Thon in Oslo).

The bedroom were also a suprise, well fitted out, very comfortable beds and linens, plenty of
soft fluffy towels in the spacious bathroom with its bath\shower combination, wine and snacks
are also available in the room.

Breakfast is supplied by Pepe's Pizza, I have not had the chance to sample same due to early
morning flights, however, a take-a-way breakfast is available for early travellers, I was very pleased by my tray which contained rolls, cheese\ham, fruit, yougurt, juice, butter, K\F & napkin.

However, the same cannot be said of my next early to go breakfast, a complete waste of 75KR.
2 slices of bread, ham & cheese and a tiny portion of melon!!!! NOT GOOD ENOUGH.........!

I contacted Linda today and expressed my annoyance at such poor fare, she agreed that to make
the take-out breakfast successful, they must be consistently good and up to standard, she thanked me for the feed-back, the matter will be taken up with the supplier's,she also invited me
to breakfast with her next time I visit Alta! Thank you Linda, I will return!

Room Tip: Cannot comment on other rooms, mine was delightful!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Friends and i stayed at this hotel in Feb 2012 - we went to the area to try and catch a glimpse of the northern lights.
Hotel was very comfortable and the staff were excellent. It was situated close to the tourist information office which made things so much easier for us given the 'brisk' weather.
Frees tea and coffee always a bonus in my book.
would recommend

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel in a room with a reasonably good view of the fjord. With the lights off, I managed to watch the northern lights from my room (see phots)!! The room and bathroom were spacious and I even had a kitchenette that allowed me to heat and microwave my own food. The bedding was much more comfortable. To cap it all off, I only paid about 20% more than what I paid for Thon's budget hotel at Tromso. The room itself was easily 80% better.

The front office staff was equally friendly, but only just slightly less so than thier counterparts at Tromso, who could be descibed as chattier.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Very nice hotel. Good central location right next to the main shopping centre and close to restaurants and all ammentieis. Well organised tourist activities nearby and pick up from hotel or next door.

Rooms were very clean and with all ammenties. No tea coffee provision in the room but did have it in the lobby where the coffee was excellent!

Breakfast was ok but included in the pizza restaurant adjacent to the lobby. You can also walk straight into the shopping centre via this link without having to go outside. A good base hotel for exploring the local area with a better location than all others. The Rica is also next door so I guess the choice is between Thon and Rica - both are equally as good.

Room Tip: All have great views of the mountains. Higher the better!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jamsimsafc
Reviewed 10 November 2011

It's only a year old and very nice. Clean and spacious rooms. My room had ironing-board, but no water boiler. It seems like they have different kinds of rooms here. I had a room in the 6th floor and the view was very nice. There is a swimming hall and fitness center right outside the hotel and you can even walk there via the parking lot in the basement.
The breakfast is in the Peppes pizza restaurant, a traditional breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business