“lovely”
Review of Gargia Fjellstue

Gargia Fjellstue
Ranked #1 of 4 Alta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Its quite a drive ( after a long day's trip from Narvik) from Alta to Gargia, when you get there it doesnt look all that much just a few buildings on either side of the road beside a working farm. First thing that you notice is the intense smell of pine! The rooms are very modern and clean + warm (or cool if you want) and very convenient for your car, breakfast etc is just across the road in another nice building, Adrian at reception is a great guy, very friendly- great English too! Food was good if a little bland, breakfast buffet was excellent - best we had in Norway, Its the small personal touches that make Gargia so much better than a Hotel. Only downside is the trip from Alta but I suppose that will be an upside for other folk!!

Room Tip: All good, perhaps if you dont want the midnight sun choose a room without a North facing window
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The owner is a very friendly and open woman and she has been very helpful since I started inquiring and later on made the booking. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised by a simple but functional and cozy cabin and we spend a week there with no problems. We were also helped with touristic information and it really made a difference in our stay. The cabin itself is right in the middle of nature but only a 20 minute drive from Alta.In short: it was absolutely perfect for us and I have rarely felt so at home away from home. And kudos to Solvi for being such a warm person and being so helpful. I highly recommend visiting this place!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Gargia is in a lovely remote location, about a 20 minute drive from Alta town centre. If you want to be in an urban location, don't stay here. But if you enjoy some peace and quiet, and like being in the middle of nowhere, this is the place to go!

My friend and I spent three nights at Gargia Fjellstue in early March, during the time when the Finnmarkslopet was also in full swing. Solvi, the owner, had warned us about this when we made the booking, and mentioned that it may be loud during the day because of the dogs. This was no problem for us though, as we were planning to be out during the day, and wanted to get a feel for the atmosphere during the dog sled race anyway.
We arrived fairly late, but were still greeted by the very friendly staff and shown to our room (cabin number 1). The cabin was very basic, with just two beds, sofa and table and a small wardrobe. It was so cosy though, we felt at home right away. It was also lovely and warm in the cabin even though we did not manage to work out where exactly the heater was.. There was also underfloor heating in the bathroom which was absolute bliss!

We'd definitely book this place again, it ticked all the boxes for us, and we were very sad to leave!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank joniko5
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We had booked with the owner ( Solvi) for a tour more than a month in advance through emails clearly stating our date of arrival and time.My office has also called her up before my trip and reconfirmed.

At the time of pick up ,when no one arrived we called her and she said she didn't realize it was today!She said she would pick us up after 2 hours as there was some confusion. We waited. After two hours she didn't arrive. We called her many times but all she did was send a apologetic message that she can't make it! We wasted our day and didn't expect such unprofessionalism.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank prachi
amb_gargia, Owner at Gargia Fjellstue, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

It is very unfortunate that we mixed up the time of your arrival. Our activities are mainly designed for guests staying at the lodge and this case showed a weakness in our internal tracking system. It was unfortunately not possible to find any snow shoe guides available on such short notice due to the Finnmarkslopet dog race going on and a general high activity in town, again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I spend one week at Gargia Fjellstue with two of my friends at the end of January in Cottage number 12. Great atmosphere, nice beds and the sleeping couch is comfortable as well!
Absolutely amazing surroundings for hiking. Sylvie, the owner, is an open, interested, sportive and admirable person, with a lot of great tips for outdoor activities.

If I ever go back to Finnmark, I will definitely go back to Gargia Fjellstue!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have not left yet, this is my fourth day here, but when I do, if I am fortunate enough to return to Alta in the Autumn for hiking, this would be where I would want to stay. I cannot believe how welcoming and kind Solve(the owner) and Joanna her assistant has been. As a single traveller I booked a single room, on arrival I found out that Solve had upgraded me to a kitchenette suite in one of the cabins, which was lovely as I was staying for a week. My bed is so comfortable and I have slept very soundly, it is impeccably clean. .Delicious home made bread with breakfast meals.
i will update this on my return home, but am so impressed had to write something now.

Room Tip: I think any room/cabin is a good place
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Out trip to Alta was less than forgettable, because the city was quite unimpressive, people were not that friendly, and the restaurants we have been to were bad and expensive. An outstanding exception to this is the Gargia Fjellstue - the owner was very friendly (we got a big apartment instead of the small hytte we reserved, for the same price + some extra multekrem dessert when we left), and the place was awesome - nice and clean, warm, cozy.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple