“Wonderful familiy getaway!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Woody Island
Woody Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Woody Island
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We went as a group of 20 family and friends from various places across Canada. It was an awesome time! The food was delicious and there was lots of it! The service and entertainment was top notch! I would reccommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Robin C

Reviewed 18 July 2012

Had the pleasure of going to Woody Island Resort this summer and had a marvelous time. The staff were friendly and eager to help. Truly and experience to be had by all! From the boat ride, to the food and entertainment, everything was "spot on"! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank shygarden
Reviewed 29 June 2012

This is a Newfoundland getaway that should not be missed for anyone who love to have a taste of what it was like to live away from the hustle and bustle, to experience real Newfoundland food, and to get a taste of genuine hospitality that Newfoundlanders are famous for.
To locate where this happens, it is app. a 2 hour drive from St. John's to Garden Cove, from where a boat leaves that takes you to Woody Island. In the 1950s and 60s, the government introduced 'resettlement', which affected islands such as Woody Island in Placentia Bay. They were to move from those islands to more centralized communities on the main part of Newfoundland. The islands essentially became places where people still owned land, kept cottages and places to go in the summer. I remember going to Woody Island in the summers in my youth.
We arrived after a pleasant boat ride and I was very happy to be greeted by one of nature's gentlemen and the owner, Loyola Pomeroy, who has been running this resort for many years and has seen it grown a lot over the years. He has even had celebrity visitors such as Martha Stewart who was taught how to make toutons in his kitchen.
We stayed in the main lodge, which provides simple, clean accommodations. Don't look for phones or tvs, you do not come here for that, you are supposed to be getting away from it all. Our luggage was brought up all at once by a truck and delivered to us. We then took a little tour around the lodge - nice big common room, dining room, a look around the kitchen - we were led there by the smell of freshly baked bread, and a little souvenir/necessity store.
There are very pleasant walks around the island, nothing too difficult, which leads to little beaches and oddities like a house made of rocks native to the island. We were taken for a 'hayride', essentially a trailer geared to take passengers and pulled by a truck. We were taken to where the old school and church used to be, along a road that is hugged by alder trees and bushes. It was a lovely ride.
Back at the lodge, we settled in for supper, where, depending on your numbers, you may be seated with other tourists, which is very pleasant because it is a nice opportunity to get to know your fellow visitors. It is a delicious meal, and I felt like I was going back in time (I grew up in Newfoundland).
There are small boats for rowing, which we took advantage of. It was very relaxing. If you wish to spend extra, there is a kayaking outfitter advertised.
At night, musicians grab their instruments, feet start stomping, and it's a party - even if you are shy, someone is sure to encourage you to get up and learn how to do the Virginia Reel or another dance. For any tourist who wants the feel of an old-fashioned house party, this is where you are going to get it.
Since we were there for the two day, one night trip, the next day we had our bags packed and loaded back on the boat. But we were taking the scenic way back, with a tour that took us to a spot where a 'boil-up' was prepared and we had lunch. I remember it raining that day but it in no way dampened our spirits, we all had a great time. After the lunch, it was back to Garden Cove.
This is a trip that I would recommend to anyone who wants to get away from it all, relax, have lovely walks, and enjoy the hospitality of a dedicated and warm group of staff.

Room Tip: I had a corner room - the Martha Stewart suite!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank 45DegreesNorth
Reviewed 25 June 2012

So relaxing and lots of fun: mummers, music, dancing and lots of good food. The staff are warm and friendly. The accommodations are simple but clean with comfortable beds and great showers.
We only stayed for the weekend and I felt like I had been on holiday for a week!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Wendy1951_12
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Just back from celebrating my father's 60th Birthday at Woody Island, This was our scond trip in less than a year. Beautiful weather, great food, music and friends nade this such an enjoyable weekend. All I can say is that if when you visit, if you don't have a good time, it's not the staff's fault!! Diane, Michelle, Gary and all the rest of the staff go above and beyond. Great place to go and relax. Can't wait to go back again in September.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank tdplanke
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Myself, husband and Mother visited Woody Island a few years ago and what a time it was. Lights out at night, flashlights handy, lots of great home cooked Newfoundland's favorite meals, great staff and a wonderful opportunity to meet people from different locations of the world. Great entertainment at night with the wonderful Kitchen Party.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank SUVstolen
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Just spent my Birthday on June 2, 2012 in Woody Island! If you love NL, go to Woody Island and you will just step back in time to your childhood memories in so many ways! The staff are next to none, from Gary to the cooks! They are such a relaxed, friendly, and wonderful bunch! They really do aim to please. I went with a friend to celebrate my birthday as I had visited Woody Island many years ago and wanted to go back. We met up with a group of ten from NL, who we are now friends for life I'd say! What a wonderful group of people to spend a couple days with and party hearty!! If you want to enjoy Nl home cooking, this is the place for you and if you love a boil up on the beach, you won't be dissapointed! We also shared our weekend with a group of nurses who graduated together 26yrs ago, and they also loved to party and have a good time. We also got to enjoy the company of a most awesome little 2yr old, she seemed to love every minute, and I could have taken her home with me. If you are thinking about going to Woody Island, do it, very inexpensive trip, with plenty to see and do, in a short time and you will not regret it?

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank FancyNancy56

Been to Woody Island Resort? Share your experiences!