“Negative temperatures outside, positive, warm welcome inside.”
Review of Polar Hotel

Polar Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batsfjord
Reviewed 21 March 2013

For those expecting four star western cossetted luxury this hotel will leave something to be desired - if that's the style you require, go pay through the nose at the Rica Hotel in Vadso. For everyone else, the Polar Hotell is warm, clean, has all the facilities you need and the food is excellent. There's coffee/tea on tap all day and the hotel staff on shift while we were there were excellent & couldn't have been more helpful and attentive. The rooms were fine, the shower hot, and the room heater could be adjusted as required.
This hotel could do with some updating it's true but I'd have no hesitation going there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raptorwoman

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Middle of Arctic winter minus 30 and our boat didn't stop whee it should so we were pitched onto the quay here at 1am....taxi up to the hotel where three parties were /had been in swing but we were welcomed incredibly generously and the first question was "were we cold and did we need food? " a quick room tidy up took place as we were most definitely not expected and they could not have been nicer. OK The rooms were spartan with the biggest TVs seen ..but we slept like babies and were on our way after an excellent breakfast. the guide on the boat, where telling us where to look to stay in this polar storm..said "the Hilton it isn't but it is s'more welcoming" ..true..

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gwynethh
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Set in the moonscape of Northern Norway, this hotel (Hotell on the signboard) is a perfectly acceptable stop, and resting place in exploring the North. Positives include good basic Nordic cuisine (Reindeer and fish), which come with a professional Sotsman chef, comfortable beds and a warm welcome. Minor negatives include a pervasive smell of smoke - no smoking is not enforced. We were very happy to be there to share the environment.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mfmb_suffolk
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Very poor hotel. Staff is very friendly and the food is o.k. (choice of one), but the hotel itself should be torn down. Just renewal won't be enough. Very old rooms and not very clean. Could be your rescue, because it's the only hotel in a wide area. Do not recommend to stay there.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter K
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I can not recommend enough, Batsfjord and Polar Hotell is the place to be in the north! beautiful scenery, spectaculair light and very special people. I arrived by bike from the Netherlands and Polar Hotell offered me a stay. I was exhausted because the weather was beautiful but heavy to bike in recent days. it was a very warm welcome at Polar Hotell. the next days i discover Polar Hotell is much more than just a hotell. with his friendly staff, delicious food and great atmosphere feels like your home. and that's exactly what Oyvind( the owner) said, feel like home. he is a men with his heart at the right place and a pleasure to meet. And than there is Arto the guitar player and Celine the acrobat who are special people too. Beside the village also provides a great view of the very lively fishing. Batsfjord the nature and the people i met has touched me and i felt sad to leave. Now I plan to return this winter. I work as an artist and Batsfjord and its surrounding is a source of inspiration. I hope i will have the possibility to show in paintings what i try to say in words.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank DaphneUrecht
Reviewed 7 February 2011

My wife and I travelled to Båtsfjord to see the Northern Lights. It was always a fairly ambitious undertaking for two "senior" citizens as we would arrive at 8pm and depart again at 1am via Hurtigruten. The plan was to view the lights from the ship, eat in Båtsfjord, and then return to Kirkenes to catch the 'planes back to Oslo and London the following day.

So we planned very carefully and wrote to the tourst office in Båtsfjord to ask their advice before booking the tickets. We were not expecting much choice - if any - we just wanted to be sure that we would not arrive in the town with nowhere to go and have to wait the 5 hours in temperatures that - it turned out - were in the minus 20s.

The tourist office suggested we eat at the Havly restaurant and Guest House and helpfully gave us the phone number for us to call. I asked if we would be understood and was assured that we would. So I called the Havly and spoke to the owner. I explained that we wanted to be sure that we could eat there on the night we arrived and could wait for the Hurtigruten back to Kirkenes at 1am. He said "yes" to everything in a way that made me wonder just how well I had been understood. So I wrote again to the tourist office and asked if they could possibly check with the Havly that all was well. They assured me that there was no need.

So we arrived - at 8.30pm with the temperature hovering around -21C. The door was locked but after some time ringing and knocking the very angry owner appeared and told us to "go away". We explained that we were the people who had called the week before but - despite acknowledging that we had called - he was not going to let us in the guest house.

We asked if there was anywhere else we could go and were told "no there wasn't". My wife - who was becoming rather distressed by now - appealed to the owner not to put us out on the street for 5 hours on such a bitterly cold night but the door was firmly closed and locked by way of response.

Fortunately for us we knew of the Polar Hotel. Indeed our first enquiry to the tourist office had been to ask if it was a good option. They had recommended the Havly instead but now we called the Polar's owner - Oyvind Pedersen - to ask if we could come there. He had a private party in progress and the hotel was closed - but he said "of course come!". A rather different reaction to the Havly's.

We then spent an entirely delightful evening being fed, watered and entertained by Oyvind, his daughter and their friends, transforming our view of Batsfjord and leaving us wanting to return to the excellent Polar Hotel at some future date.

The Havly? Don't bother. The "tourist office" - no help at all.

The Polar Hotel? Simply wonderful. Oyvind Pedersen for Mayor!

6  Thank Mick48Oxford
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I cannot speak more highly of this hotel or its staff. I am a 26 year-old femal freelance travel writer who was only supposed to stay here one night. After that night I travelled to the arctic cabin then on to the village of Kongsfjord, whilst in Kongsfjord the volcano erupted in Iceland leaving me stranded with no way of getting home. The hotel owner Irvine is allowing me to stay in his hotel free of charge and is providing me with all my meals basically letting me treat it as my home with no idea when I will be able to leave. He has even offered me the use of his car and bought me a lead for my camera so that I can upload pictures! As for the hotel it is clean with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in has free wifi and great food. Yes, it is in a remote village but out of everywhere I have ever been I have never met nicer people or been anywhere with such beautiful scenery. I would recommend that you book a trip with the Arctic Safari here where you can go out King Crab fishing and eat your catch, then you can get a snow scooter ride through the mountains to a beautiful Arctic Cabin. The Polar Hotel is about 10 minutes from the local shops, there are two cafes and a supermarket and if you are lucky enough to be here on a friday or saturday the local pub Skuta is open and definitely worth a visit.
The locals are proud of their village and so they should be it is stunning and they are fantastic company, in fact I will be sad to leave whenever that may be!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Natalie V

Been to Polar Hotel? Share your experiences!