“Comfy rooms, but in need of a refurb” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Quality Hotel Skaergaarden
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langesund
Trondheim, Norway
“Comfy rooms, but in need of a refurb”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

I've been staying in 5-6 different rooms at Skjærgården during the last couple of months, most of which were just okay.

Bathrooms are very tired, with chipped tiles, stained toilets and rotten sinks where new porcelain ones haven't been retrofitted atop the old composite ones. The only bathroom amenities available are two plastic cups and two ugly soap dispensers with cheap smelling soap more on par with what you'd get in a hostel. This is sadly the same in all but the most exclusive Choice Hotels, and one of the reasons I use this chain only when absolutely necessary.

The rooms are quite large, and has a properly sized desk, which is great. The decor is dated, and a couple of the rooms I've stayed in had a stale smell to them. The dusty and stiff curtains are hard to completely close, specially in the rooms where one or two curtains seem to be missing altogether.

Bed quality varies from average to great, and pillows are lumpy but comfortable. A few odd things; instead of a good-night treat on your pillow, they've placed a crumpled card with a picture of a tribal girl with a stick through her nose on it, proudly claiming "By staying one night at a Nordic Choice Hotel you will save 100 m2 of rain forest for one year". On the bathroom mirror there's a sticker saying "If mom's angry, I don't dare telling anyone about it (Marius, 8 yrs)" and the weblink to some save-the-children organisation which Choice Hotels apparently support. I don't get it. They're good causes, but I prefer to decide whether to support them or not myself. When I'm staying at hotels I like to relax and forget about what happens elsewhere in the world.

The minibar is now just an empty fridge, if you're lucky enough to get one. The front desk ladies told me they were throwing them out one after another when they malfunction. I usually ask for a room with a fridge and bring my own beer since I don't particularly like paying the exorbitant NOK 85 they charge for a small bottle of Carlsberg, the only beer available in the hotel, in the microscopic makeshift bar which has been erected during the refurb of the 1st floor conference and bar area. The ladies have always arranged a fridge for me, or offered to bring ice to my room if they were unable to.

Breakfast is mostly standard Choice fare, complete with the mandatory eco-food-selection gimmick. Good choice of breads, but I've had to go through 2-3 crispbreads a couple of mornings before I found some that were actually crisp. I haven't seen the egg station which last year's reviewers talk about, the pulpy powdered eggs now available seem like a sad substitute. Coffee is great, but i would love to see some espresso cups. Service could be more attentive, drinks dispensers are often empty, and a few mornings there haven't been any butter available at all, only diet margarine. The dining room itself is very run down. Large patches of carpet have completely disintegrated under the most popular tables by the window, chairs look old and tatty and the tables have been cleaned so many times the lacquer on them have gone ugly and sticky.

Annoyances aside, I find the rooms comfortable, and have always had a good night's sleep at Skjærgården. Maybe it's the fresh sea air and overall laid-back feeling of the place that works it's magic?

The staff is very friendly and helpful, and apart from somewhat overgrown gardens at the back and front of hotel, the general upkeep of the property seems good. Cleanliness is top-notch. I hope the upcoming renovation runs smoothly, and will probably be back with my kids when it's done.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea are cooler in the summer, and offer fantastic views. There are usually a lot of...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Caroline_admin, Leder  at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear KnutH,
Thank you for your detailed review on Skjærgården. I see we have a lot of things to improve. I am sorry for the things that makes your stay a mediocre one. I am greatful that you are pointing out where we can mprove ourselves. Some things will take time, but some we can do something about stright away. It is correct about the Mini bars. We will instead have a service at reception. According to time of refurbishment, this will be in place around Christmas. I am happy you heard about the renovation taking place. I hope most of the bathrooms will be included. Conference department, kitchen, restaurant, bar and reception. Outdoor terrace and access to the sea. According to plan everything should be ready for next summer 2015.

I wish you welcome back with your son next year.

Sincerely
Caroline Laurhammer, General Manager at Skjærgården

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We live in a nearby city and our family of three needed some time off and do things together. We stayed one night, came around 1400 and strolled from the hotel room to the waterpark in the same builing. Obviously, any kids love waterparks. Not too much specialized activities for a 2-year olds, but they have a great time no matter what. We went there sunday morning too, before checkout. The waterpark is old, but I guess they did something right all those years ago. We feel good!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Caroline_admin, Leder  at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Ole M,
Thank you so much for posting a review on our page. I greatly appreciate it. I am happy you had a good time with us, and I wish you warm welcome back any time!

Yours Sincerely,
Caroline Laurhammer, General Manager at Resort Skjærgården
Sandefjord, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Very good service from the staff, the location that is within walking distance to langesund with conserts is good. The location of the resort it self rigth next to the sea. Good food, the rooms where large as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Caroline_admin, Leder  at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear 201ROJ,
Thank you for your visit and for your great review on TripAdvisor.
I am happy you took your time to write us, your feedback is important.
I wish you welcome back to Langesund!

Tonsberg, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My experience were mixed. On the negative side, the building lacks maintenance. On the positive site, the closeness of spa facilities is positive.

I enjoyed the breakfast, and free parking outside. I will come back after they have renovated the building.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear RuneOverland,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. It is much appreciated.
I am happy you know we are renovating, and we are all very happy for the changes we are making. Follow us on Facebook to see photos of the process!

Welcome back next summer!

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Lots of frem parking space and big, clean rooms. Very nice breakfast. Did not try the pool area, so cannot give my opinion on that. Polite and serviceminded staff. Rooms are in good condition, but common areas looks a bit dagen, but not so much that it's something that bothers you.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Travelingnorwegian,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I much appreciate your positive comments on your stay with us.

Welcome back any time!

Caroline Laurhammer, General Manager at Quality Resort Skjærgården
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Nice hotel with swimmingpark and lots to do for kids. The kids got free icecream in the front desk, so they were very happy :) Good service, but the hotel is very worn, and needs a lot of renovation!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Caroline_admin, Leder  at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Kristin J,
Thank you for your review on Skjærgården. We appreciate your kind feedback.
We are aware that the Hotel seems a bit worn, and we are doing something about it. We started renovation work this July and will finish summer 2015.
I hope we will see you again, and that you will appreciate the changes we are making.

Sincerely
Caroline Laurhammre, GM at Skjærgården
Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very nice hotel for children families. The ventilation could be better. The room had poor and warm air quality. The bathing was super the day we left, but I was disappointed no pools were open in the evening.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with NordicChoiceHotels.com

Caroline_admin, Leder  at Quality Hotel Skaergaarden, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Christian O,
Thank you for visiting us and for writing us a review. I am happy you had a good stay.
Regarding the ventilation. It is difficult for the system to cool down all the rooms when we have so many days with warm weather as this summer. Thank you for making us aware of the problem.

Wish you a great summer!
Sincerely, Caroline Laurhammer, General Manager at Skjærgården
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langesund
Farris Bad Hotel
#2 of 5 in Skien
Hotell Fritidsparken
Hotell Fritidsparken
#4 of 5 in Skien

Been to Quality Hotel Skaergaarden? Share your experiences!