“Loved it! From the reception to the room and beyond....”

Clarion Collection Hotel Amanda
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Haugesund
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The first impression was of a well maintained, well presented and much cared for hotel. The second impression supported the first impression and things just improved. The room was spacious, clean and in our case a treat! We had a corner suite with views, a decent TV and a HUGE very comfortable bed. All the rooms are named after films which add a certain level of interest, whether you know the film or not. I would have loved to poke my head into all the rooms to see how they varied, but perhaps next time!
Included in the price is a delicious Norwegian style breakfast. I can recommend the home-made crispbread for instance. In the afternoon, waffles, soured cream (rømme) was served to stave off the afternoon hunger. (PS - the recipe was not quite right). This was followed by supper included in the price, which at times was excellent and on other days OK.
The underground garage is safe as houses and a bit of a challenge, but get there mid day and it is easy
Probably not the last time we visit :-)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elis T

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Pleasant location on the harbour and we had been allocated underground parking for our classic cars. We stayed in Casino Royale, a nice enough room with an unexciting outlook. It had disabled access and a large shower/wetroom. The staff were extremely helpful and charming. Breakfast was OK and the free 24 coffee and tea and the light evening buffet and afternoon tea were a nice touch. There was great emphasis on welcome and service. I celebrated my birthday while there and asked if I could have a drinks party - the Clarion in Bergen had rung ahead to arrange it for me and when I arrived I was shown a room which had lots of balloons as a table centre. I thought it had been left over from a previous event and didn't inspect it. It was only when the staff mentioned it that I realised it was a present for me, attached to a small bottle of wine with a birthday card. Nibbles were provided and the chef who was shorthanded was very apologetic about the need for us to serve our own fizz. We all had a very pleasant time. I was also very grateful to the hotel manager who, when we returned from a meal at the Italian restaurant just a few doors away, learned that I had been unable to download a document which was on my memory stick. The receptionist had already tried hard but the hotel's system was designed to prevent the introduction of unapproved material. The manager used his personal computer to download my document and printed it for me. It was an estimate for work on a house in France which I needed to approve by signing before posting it with a cheque to ensure the work would start at our chosen time. Staff helped with an envelope and a stamp and directed me to the post office the following morning and I was much relieved. They also provided me with a cinnamon bun with a candle on it at breakfast - my birthday was actually on that day which may have been given away by the hat decorated with candles which my friends insisted I wear! We left with a very high opinion of the staff who made every effort to make us feel at home. The manager also introduced us to the hotel's loyalty card.

Room Tip: If you want a view you should ask for one when booking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank XKSue
Reviewed 27 August 2013

A two-day stay at this greatly located hotel in Haugesund had my girlfriend and I deciding to revisit both Haugesund and the hotel again soon. The staff proved welcoming and friendly, service-minded and always smiling. We even had the Hotel-manager serving us at the front desk! From the receptionist at the front desk to the kitchen staff cleaning tables in the dining area, everyone shared a smile and a polite greeting. The hotel provided parking for our car in their cellular parking area which made it easy to access the car when needed, and only a short walk to the check-in with our luggage. The hotel has a newly renovated part, which we were lucky to stay in. A large modern room overlooking the inner pier and seaway passing underneath the Risoey bridge. The bed were immensely comfortable, the room smart and modern equipped with a large bath with both a tub and shower. (The hotels' older rooms certainly deserve having the older rooms refurbished to the standard we experienced.) The evening meal included in the room fee, was a full warm meal with optional choices and even dessert. The atmosphere at the hotel was impeccable; calm, relaxing and inviting. Enjoying a glass of wine at the roofed outside area during the evening, watching the city life after the evening meal, is a great starting point for a night out or a walk in the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ttorable
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed here for a weekend with the family. Very friendly and helpful staff. We had a nice movie themed room on the 5th floor.
The included breakfast was very nice, with a good selection of everything you'd desire in the morning. Also had umbrellas for borrow during the occasional rainfall.

Room Tip: Movie themed ones on the 5th floor were very nice! Inwards facing rooms were nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The location is excellent: right by the harbor, and a nice pedestrian street alongside, and right in the city center (the main shopping street is right behind). The service was excellent and the room very spacious and very clean, although it does need some updating. The reception area is very nice and cosy, and the little cafe area outside in front of the marina too. You can rent DVD's for the night for free and the whole hotel is themed on movies, in honor of the Film festival that takes place in the town each year.

Room Tip: Request for a view of the marina
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MariaThomp
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This hotel is really nicely situated by the water in Haugesund. The rooms are comfortable and the breakfast and complementary evening buffet are both good. It is getting a bit old and the TV in particular brings back memories of the 1990s.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank David190479
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Can't say enough good things about this hotel !! Clean, friendly, staff could not do enough for us! Buffet brekkie and supper were varied, fresh, and great choice. Home-made breads out of oven made it extra special. We had bikes and big bags, and they did all they could to help. Ideal location for tourism, boat rides, walking the city, etc. Make your own waffle bar was a pure treat and special addition... Tea/Coffee and fruit available all day, with a filtered water station to keep us all hydrated!! Amazing views from our window, but the night life made it a bit noisy on the weekends. That would be my ONLY complaint, but the other things were so good I could only rate this place as my #1 destination of travel over the years!! The Norwegians are amazing people, the city itself full of happy helpful people!! Defo coming back!!

Room Tip: View over Quay is spectacular, but can be noisy... A/C in rooms was lovely, as it kept it fresh
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tricia S
Malla H, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Amanda, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you so much for your great review. This really warms a managers heart.
Hope to see you next year!

Sincerely