“Descent average hotel”

Radisson BLU Hotel Haugesund
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Haugesund
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I agree with other reviewers who have mentioned the nice, friendly and helpful staff this hotel has. I think the staff is this establishment’s best asset. I stayed in a room on the 6th floor facing the parking lot and no that is not a practically thrilling view I admit, but for me this was not very important. I agree that the standard rooms are not large but they are adequate as I think my photos show. Also, in my room I did not have any broken or run down furniture and my bathroom had been completely renovated. It was on the small size but very nice.

The dining room is this hotel’s weak spot in my opinion. I did not eat dinner at the hotel, but because I had seen previous reviews I made a point of checking out the buffet line. It did not look appealing, and I would recommend that you plan to eat dinner somewhere else. Others have touted the breakfast as good, but I travel quite a bit in Norway, and frankly I am used to something far better than what I got at this hotel. It was eatable but not exiting.
This is a reasonable hotel okay for one or two nights.

Now some background that I think puts the hotel in some context and justifies calling it average. First there is something one has to realize when traveling to Scandinavia and that is that prices are high here. There is a very broad political consensus that the welfare state has to be maintained. This is expensive and therefore all the government’s means of generating income such as income and sales taxes are high. This in turn has an obvious impact on prices.

One of many places this is seen is on hotel rooms. You should not have high expectations of a room you ‘only’ paid about 800 kr. for. Yes I know that in other regions of the world spending a $130 on a hotel room in a small town like Haugesund will usually provide you with top of the line accommodations but that not the way it is in Norway. Here you get an average room if that and no more.

Another thing is air conditioning. Very few hotels, especially older hotels, in Scandinavia have AC for obvious geographical reasons. By the way, the same goes for private residences. It is an expensive extra you rarely need. This means that if you come with the expectation that you will have complete climate control you are going to be disappointed. Typically bathrooms will have in floor heating and there will be one or more heating elements in the room. To cool down you will need to open the windows and turn the heat off and on unseasonably hot days or when the sun is just right you will have to deal with higher temperatures.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank mand_dan

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed here as a solo business traveller in April 2011 for two nights. The hotel was conveniently located for the office I was visiting. The superior rooms have lovely fjord views, although it would have been nice if the balcony doors weren't locked shut.
Bed and breakfast rate was reasonable, especially for Norway. I didn't eat or drink in the hotel so I can't comment on prices or quality.
Haugesund centre isn't far away, nor is the airport, maybe a 25 minute drive.
The room size is ok, not the wow factor but enough space for one person. Ample hangers, a trouser press, kettle, complimentary tea and coffee, mini bar with big prices for little snacks! I couldn't work out the heating system, it was chilly in the evening then stifling warm during the night and in the morning. The wall thermostat didn't seem to make a difference. The en-suite is compact but roomy enough, the shower rail was faulty in room 416, which I reported after I nearly flooded the bathroom.
There are quality Anne Semonin moisturisers etc in the bathroom and on day two a set of vanity kits appeared; sewing kit and cotton pads.
There is a swimming pool, sauna and billiard room but I didn't have time to use any of these.
Check in and check out were efficient and staff were friendly. Breakfast spread was good and varied. Very little noise from corridor or road outside.
I would recommend a superior room, the view was lovely and the sunsets were beautiful. Also take time to drive ot hike to the top of the mountain for breathtaking mountain and fjordland views. And the obelisk of the union of the kingdoms of Norway is also an interesting visit nearby. There is also a British war cemetery nearby the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a superior room with fjord view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mckaykarenj
Reviewed 19 April 2012

...but that is really the only reason to ever choose this hotel. Located in the middle of nowhere far from the city centre, by a densely trafficked road. The rooms are spacious and with a balcony, but really old and sad. Old, broken furniture, dirty walls, dirty carpet and broken door lock. The breakfast is not the best either. Plus for free bikes and a swimming pool.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I booked this hotel only beacuse of the name, cause I thought that Radisson Blu was a great hotel.

Breakfast was ok, but the dinner buffet was terrible.

The bathroom was filty and the bathtub had yellow staines all over. I could not take a shower because of it.

The room is dark, and there was always strange sounds in and outside the room.

Small tv with few channels. Slow internet connection.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I got a room on the third floor facing the parking lot. I do not know the standard on the other rooms but this room was recommendable.
The room was very cold, it almost did not have any lights, the showers had curtains so when taking a shower the entire bathroom floor ended up wet and there was noise from the road/parking lot.

I also used the swimming pool, for that I can say that there were no big towels and there were no storage facilities for your clothes. There should also have been a locked door so that only hotel guest where granted access. If you are staying whit children you cannot let them explore the hotel on there on cause of possible droning.

The staff was very welcoming; the breakfast and evening buffet was also OK.

I cannot recommend the hotel (the third floor).

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room (if they exist)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank drifter932
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I liked this hotel a lot. My only regret is that I only got to stay for one night and didt'n try the pool.

My review is almost only based on my own room and the breakfast.

The room was nice and clean. The bed was really good. It felt spacious and a little bit exclusive.

It's not perfect, of course I have some remarks. The shower is a combined shower/bathtub, not my favourite. The lighting is a little low and the TV was really small! Also, it is located pretty far from Haugesund center (approx 2,5 km), and the website does not have very good information about busses.

The biggest upside of this hotel for me was the insanely delicious and varied breakfast. I think it must be one of the best I have experienced. I wish I was a breakfast person so I could eat and eat and never stop. Oh, well.. I'll stay for å few more days next time.

Room Tip: I would try to find a room far from the elevator. My room was three doors down I think and still I c...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank travelhild
Reviewed 25 December 2011

This hotel is not bad, it´s not good either. Just average.

The first thing that met me was that I couldnt register with my credit card, because they apparently uses a bank solution from Sweden (my card is closed for other countries than Noway). The staff was friendly and professional.

The room we got was clean, but rather old and run-down. A curiosity is that this hotel don´t have flatscreen TVs! Even in the lobby there is a old "fat" TV, this fits well with the rundown atmosphere.

Some positives:
+ Friendly staff
+ Nice breakfast
+ Ok pool
+ Ok bed
+ Ok wifi

Will not stay at this hotel next time I am visiting Haugesund. I am sure you can get better value elsewhere, it is a bit pricey for the condition the hotel is, in my opinion. The location is poor, in nowhere land several kms from the beautiful city centre. You have to take a taxi, or wait (in the wind and rain) for a buss. Try to find some place more central.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business