Radisson BLU Hotel Haugesund
ScandicHotels.com
  • Beachfront
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
All reviewshot foodbuffet dinnerthe main reasonstayed for one nightnorway
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is a basic Hotel, convenient for business travellers coming by car, as it is located approx 3 km outside the centre of Haugesund. Although a OK Hotel, my guess is that this Hotel must be in the low end of the Radisson Blu Hotel range. Quite outdated, rooms in need of upgrade. The breakfast was god, though, and improved from my last visit.

Room Tip: The rooms facing west (towards the sea) have a much more interesting view than rooms facing east. (parking lot)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2013

very simple a basic hotel.
In need of a upgrade.
Doesn't represent the normal standard from a radisson blu hotel.
A little far from the city centre, so if you not driving i wouldn't recommend it.
The food exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Nuxoz
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The room I was given at the Radisson Blu Haugesund (Room 313) was nothing like the room I saw in the pictures. It was extremely small, poorly equipped, needed updating badly, and the phone didn't work when colleagues tried to call me. I don't know what rooms are listed in their website...but it sure wasn't mine.

Room Tip: We waited for half an hour (at 5:00pm) to talk to a front desk clerk.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank johnbhansen
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I agree with other reviewers who have mentioned the nice, friendly and helpful staff this hotel has. I think the staff is this establishment’s best asset. I stayed in a room on the 6th floor facing the parking lot and no that is not a practically thrilling view I admit, but for me this was not very important. I agree that the standard rooms are not large but they are adequate as I think my photos show. Also, in my room I did not have any broken or run down furniture and my bathroom had been completely renovated. It was on the small size but very nice.

The dining room is this hotel’s weak spot in my opinion. I did not eat dinner at the hotel, but because I had seen previous reviews I made a point of checking out the buffet line. It did not look appealing, and I would recommend that you plan to eat dinner somewhere else. Others have touted the breakfast as good, but I travel quite a bit in Norway, and frankly I am used to something far better than what I got at this hotel. It was eatable but not exiting.
This is a reasonable hotel okay for one or two nights.

Now some background that I think puts the hotel in some context and justifies calling it average. First there is something one has to realize when traveling to Scandinavia and that is that prices are high here. There is a very broad political consensus that the welfare state has to be maintained. This is expensive and therefore all the government’s means of generating income such as income and sales taxes are high. This in turn has an obvious impact on prices.

One of many places this is seen is on hotel rooms. You should not have high expectations of a room you ‘only’ paid about 800 kr. for. Yes I know that in other regions of the world spending a $130 on a hotel room in a small town like Haugesund will usually provide you with top of the line accommodations but that not the way it is in Norway. Here you get an average room if that and no more.

Another thing is air conditioning. Very few hotels, especially older hotels, in Scandinavia have AC for obvious geographical reasons. By the way, the same goes for private residences. It is an expensive extra you rarely need. This means that if you come with the expectation that you will have complete climate control you are going to be disappointed. Typically bathrooms will have in floor heating and there will be one or more heating elements in the room. To cool down you will need to open the windows and turn the heat off and on unseasonably hot days or when the sun is just right you will have to deal with higher temperatures.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank mand_dan
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed here as a solo business traveller in April 2011 for two nights. The hotel was conveniently located for the office I was visiting. The superior rooms have lovely fjord views, although it would have been nice if the balcony doors weren't locked shut.
Bed and breakfast rate was reasonable, especially for Norway. I didn't eat or drink in the hotel so I can't comment on prices or quality.
Haugesund centre isn't far away, nor is the airport, maybe a 25 minute drive.
The room size is ok, not the wow factor but enough space for one person. Ample hangers, a trouser press, kettle, complimentary tea and coffee, mini bar with big prices for little snacks! I couldn't work out the heating system, it was chilly in the evening then stifling warm during the night and in the morning. The wall thermostat didn't seem to make a difference. The en-suite is compact but roomy enough, the shower rail was faulty in room 416, which I reported after I nearly flooded the bathroom.
There are quality Anne Semonin moisturisers etc in the bathroom and on day two a set of vanity kits appeared; sewing kit and cotton pads.
There is a swimming pool, sauna and billiard room but I didn't have time to use any of these.
Check in and check out were efficient and staff were friendly. Breakfast spread was good and varied. Very little noise from corridor or road outside.
I would recommend a superior room, the view was lovely and the sunsets were beautiful. Also take time to drive ot hike to the top of the mountain for breathtaking mountain and fjordland views. And the obelisk of the union of the kingdoms of Norway is also an interesting visit nearby. There is also a British war cemetery nearby the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a superior room with fjord view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business