“Excellent lutefisk”

Ranked #13 of 68 Restaurants in Sandnes
Price range: US$13 - US$86
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Norwegian, Delicatessen
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Mathuset Charles & De opened its doors in 2005. The name tells of exquisite taste and the importance of good cooperation. Charles Tjessem was given the title world champion in 2003, when he won the gold medal in the prestigious competition Bocuse d'Or. He has also been the general manager for the Culinary Institute and captain for the Norwegian Culinary Team. Tjessem is known for its great commitment to craftsmanship based on selected ingredients from local food. He is uncompromising with regard to the quality of the finished result and clever to let talented employees forward. With the team he has a select group of highly skilled professionals who will go to great lengths to thrill you. Teamwork & Passion is the secret to a good working environment. If you visit us often, you know that we like to renew the concept periodically. We like challenges and loves to dream up new and improved ideas. The menus changes 5 times a year. It gives us the opportunity to focus on the best seasonal ingredients and prepare them according to etiquette when they are at their best. Our values ​​are reflected in what we serve. We are concerned with honesty and purity - pure flavors, pure ingredients, clean employees and clean kitchen. We believe in transparency. We are popular, but snobs with cigars are of course also welcome with us.
Voorschoten, The Netherlands
“Excellent lutefisk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Went there with my wife and sister just before Christmas because we knew they had lutefisk on the menu that day. To appreciate this fish you really need to be Norwegian. I have never met a non-Norwegian who actually likes it. But here it was excellent. My wife had the homemade hamburger as she is a little skeptical to lutefisk. The burger was also first class and the recommended wine fitted the bill nicely.

• Visited December 2013

Stavanger, Noruega
“Managers must be helpful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Even I have a bad experience but I could eat I would give 2 stars. If I could not eat at all I must mark one circle just, right? That's pretty much the case.
I couldn't even eat a toast.

I came to the restaurant, no one received me, and so I went straight to the women in charge. She seemed in charge because she wasn't wearing the uniform like the other girls, and look way much older, but not wiser. She keeps a severe authoritarian perform, but she also was bad skilled for end solutions like one had to happen before my eyes.
One of the youngster waitresses came to talk to her after I made my question to her (- what are the specials of the day?). She couldn't answer me, but she tried to help one of her new employees (2 mistakes in one, two unskilled performers, I must say). When she let me waiting instead answer me, I noticed the plate that dominated the entire picture was hard to swallow. Some client refused to eat the food. For sure, the pasta they tried to serve was too cooked, the whole thing looked like a red porridge.

After she sends away the little waitress, she turns to me without any smile, or sound, she CAST the paper menu. I took a look in all the dishes and the prices. Absurdly (!!!) they were the highest prices for a café place. It is more expensive them night dinners in the big cities. Wake up! There's no moon outside, nor attractive scene view, the food looked awful and worst, the manager is impolite as a primate.
Soon I realized that, I hear:
- Are you made your mind?
- Sure. – I answered, turned my back & went away from this pan demon coffee bar.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank flaviaviland
Sandnes, Norway
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Expencive but good food from one of the best cooks in Norway. The menu could have some more options, but in all a place to go for special occasions.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Stein Erik A
Sandnes, Norway
“Nice place, quality food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Nice place to get quality food. The food always tastes good. A little to "cafè" in style, otherwise very good.

• Visited September 2012
Houston, Texas
“Worst service ever, good food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

We were on a business trip from USA and was told Charles was a awarding winning chef. The exceptions were high and to be fair, the food was good. But that is pretty much the only positive thing we can say form that visit. Is the place about to be discontinued?
The service was the worst we have ever experienced in Norway, which for a starter is fairly poor anyway. In addition, the table we were given had hardly any lights.
There were too many things below expected standard to be listed here but unless you only care about food stay away.
I doubt we will try that place again, not recommended.

• Visited February 2013