“Good hotel outside Sandnes”
Review of Kronen Gaard Hotel

Kronen Gaard Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Sandnes
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I really don't have anything negative things to say about this hotel. I only stayed there one night (came int he evening, left early in the morning) and didn't use the restaurant.
The hotel is charming, with a "country feel" to it. We got an OK room. Rather sparsely furnished, but with two very good beds (missed a mini bar though).
Had a drink in the bar area, good service from the staff who asked if we wanted more to drink, wanted food or a small dish.
The breakfast was good. And what seemed like "real" scrambled eggs (not often).
If you have a car, there's only a few minutes drive to Sandnes city center.
The reason we stayed at this hotel, was that we were going to the Pulpit Rock the next day, and the hotel is ideally located for that. You can even buy an hotel room and get a backpack with food, water, fruit that you take with you to the Pulpit Rock (cost extra). It's a 20 minute drive to the ferry which takes you over in about 10 minutes. Then a 15-20 minute drive to the parking and "Preikestolhytta".
All in all, a good hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again for another visit to the Pulpit rock or Lysefjorden.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I had read all the reviews of this hotel and had booked it as a treat for 2 nights. We wanted somewhere close to Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock) that we were intending to climb and a bit of luxury and great food when we returned. Our welcome was pretty offhand - the receptionist barely looked up when we walked in. We were directed to our room (on the first floor) - the receptionist left us at the bottom of the staircase and there was no one to help with my heavy case and no elevator. The room was very disappointing - shabby furniture, old fashioned TV, sparse little luxuries in the bathroom and no mini bar. The menu was very limited and expensive so we decided to eat in Stavanger (NOT what I had intended). We also discovered that Pulpit Rock is one hour away - so not ideal if you want an early start. We had wanted to find another hotel but that was impossible as everything around was booked so we stayed the second night. We drove to Pulpit Rock and did the climb and on returning to the hotel found much friendlier and more inviting reception staff so decided we would dine at the hotel. The service was friendly but slow and the food was sadly very average, fish soup wasn't warm enough, my salmon steak and herb sauce had clearly been kept warm and had dried out and there was no sorbet with the pannecotta for dessert. Breakfast had almost run out at 8.30 a.m. and was uninspiring. I was quoted one price on the phone when I booked but was charged a higher price when I was there.
Having stayed at other 'Historic Hotels' in Norway I was very disappointed with this one.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Purpleguardog
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I was lucky enough to spend several nights here with work. Hotel is really charming. Views are lovely. Staff great. Food really excellent. Service is brilliant. Beds very comfortable. I imagine it wasn't cheap but you are extremely well taken care of. Would be delighted to return!

Room Tip: For slightly quieter ask for one away from the patio / outside seated area
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We loved the authentic country feel of this family run hotel. We felt at home and were treated as honoured guests in this warm and inviting home. The food was exceptional and the hotel itself very interesting with its artefacts and memorabilia of comfortable country life.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Simply lovely! That is how we describe our favourite hotel in Norway. If you are lucky enough to be staying here you know what I mean. Not only is it cozy, it is so clean you could literally eat off the floors. Speaking of eating, the food is delicious as well.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Second time at the Kronen Gaard. It is very expensive but for the 2nd time they gave me discounted price because I stayed for en entire week. The service at the hotel is fantastic. The hotel staff is trained to give the best service and they all seem happy and enthusiastic. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are adequate size and beds very comfortable and excellent wireless internet connection. I was very happy and satisfied and will definitely stay here again if I can get a discounted price. The regular price is around $300 a nite which is too stiff for me but not unusual in Norway....u need a car to get to and from this hotel. It is about 4 kilometers outside Sandnes. I love the rural area around it and am not a city person anyway and always travel with a car...so keep that in mind

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We were very lucky to be upgraded to this hotel when another alternative was overbooked. Our bedroom cost was considerably less than a normal price so the feeling of a great stay was amplified.

Positives about here:
- Location is very much on the way to Preikestolen (the Pulpit rock), and is quiet in a nice grassy area out of the city.
- Rooms are spacious
- architecture and feeling of the place is classic yet integrated nicely with a modern feeling.
- Food is excellent. Dinner and Breakfast
- parking and free wifi are more than satisfactory.
- Staff are friendly and very helpful

Negatives
- You might find this to be too out of the way. A car is absolutely necessary as there is nothing within walking distance.
- The rack rate is rather steep (I gather) but even still the value for money in my opinion is great compared to other options in Norway
- Not all rooms have coffee & tea facilities (surprising by true)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandnes
GamlaVaerket Hotel
8 mi away
Radisson Blu Royal Hotel
Radisson Blu Royal Hotel
#4 of 26 in Stavanger

Been to Kronen Gaard Hotel? Share your experiences!