“Excellent Hotel”

Scandic Stavanger Airport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 January 2014

The Rica Airport Hotel is excellent. I am enjoying my stay here very much. I am here on business so am fortunate not to pay for the privilege but can see the quality and services would be worth the money.

Looking out my window I can see traffic passing but not hear a thing! Fantastic.

Upon arrival, just 50m or so from the terminal building, it is very conveniently situated. The reception staff are very friendly and helpful. the interior has plenty to look at to please the eye and has some unique, for us Brits anyway, features which I am quite taken with. Namely, the terracing style lounging area with small tables where you can sit cross legged on big cushions or recline (no seats). The look is modern, warm and cosy with very chilled music played just within hearing capacity.

The rooms are modern, clean and comfortable. The beds are quite soft, with a 2" or so mattress topper on a sprung divan. My double is two singles pushed together and two separate duvets. Different but not the end of the World by any means. Bathroom is underfloor heated with a great shower and toiletries. Again, looking out my window in amazement at the silence. Furniture is modern and very comfortable. I had a superior room foist night which was very spacious and now a normal double which is also spacious. Compared to some airport hotels this is luxurious.

Internet is free and very fast for a hotel. Videos play with ease.

The restaurant is a lovely area with cosy lighting and very friendly and helpful staff. There is not a great deal to choose from but the food is excellent and presented well. Breakfast buffet is excellent and again the cooked food very well done and tasty. Will suit most demographics. However, they do not do lunches here. This would be my only criticism but certainly not enough to spoil my stay.

There are free internet computers with free printing. The lounge areas are very comfortable.

Overall I am very happy to stay here and would definitely recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Brysky

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed for two nights on business. The check-in was a nightmare; the girl on the desk didn't seem to know what she was doing. By the time she finished there was a queue of people waiting to do then same. My room was a reasonable size, comfortable and not one of the deluxes. Some reviewers remarked on the bed being too spongy and it was a wee bit, but it didn’t bother me. I ate in the restaurant both nights and although the choice wasn’t great, the food was. Breakfast was also good and it had a big choice. My room key didn’t work the second night but hey ho, I needed the exercise. One thing to mention is the shower; it was difficult to get out of because I didn’t want to turn it off, this seems to be a feature of most Norwegian hotels I’ve stayed in. I didn’t hear any aircraft noises, but I was on the inside. I will be using it again, but being on expenses I've no idea if it's value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Rica Airport Hotel Stavanger is a very modern hotel, conveniently located only a few steps away from the arrival hall. You can park for a reduced price on P7 (around NOK 100 per day). I stayed one night in January, and apart from the sleep quality, I was very pleased with the experience. Check-in was smooth and fast, and the receptionists were all very friendly and helpful. There was absolutely no noise from the airport anywhere in the hotel.

My room was spacious, spotlessly clean and modern – the same was the bathroom. I missed the complimentary toiletries, but they were available in the reception on request (as were a pillow menu). There was coffee and tea making facilities and a well-stocked minibar. Internet was easy to connect to, and fast. The problems started when I was getting ready to get a good night’s sleep. The bed was extremely soft (never experienced anything like it), and smallish for two people (queen size). On the nightstand there was a brochure saying that “you get the best sleep with a room temperature of 16-18 degrees Celsius”. Well, I disagree – but could probably manage with 16 degrees. Unfortunately I do not think the temperature ever got under 20 degrees, even though the air-condition seemed to work perfectly well. Needless to say, I did not get much sleep – and opening the windows at an airport-hotel did not seem like a good idea…

The breakfast just won 3rd place for best hotel breakfast in Norway, and I wholeheartedly agree that it was excellent. There was everything you could wish for, including fresh orange juice, smoothies, warm and cold dishes, pastries and coffees made on request (mocca, latte, espresso etc). The only thing worth mentioning is that all the fruit was extremely cold. Not even refrigerator cold, but ice cold.

For me, sleep quality is the most important thing when choosing a hotel. Then again, the hotel is very convenient, has an amazing breakfast and you will leave feeling refreshed (but tired). If room temperature does not bother you, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I have spent only one night in Rica Airport hotel in Stavanger, so my opinion my not be backed up by a long stay experience, however :

The good :
1. location by the airport and close to the city. It might get a bit of noise from the airport, but not in the level that would disturb or cause any discomfort. Rooms are quite well noise-isolated.
2. staff and service - I was greeted with a big smile and friendly conversation and I felt really welcome. Check-in was fast and smooth, maybe 3 minutes in all, and I was on my way to my room. Check-out was equally smooth, fast and professional. I experienced the same type of friendly, warm welcome at the restaurant. Ladies working in there were very polite, attentive and professional, with real, not fake or trained smiles. I have been offered a recommendation and as a result I had on of the best lambs I have ever had. Really delicious. Compliments to the chef.
3. food - that deserves a separate point. Apart from delicious lamb or sola soup I had for dinner, I was recommended to take time for breakfast. I was told at check-in that the hotel was just awarded 3rd place for breakfast quality. Well, I would like to see the winner if what I got was 3rd place. Buffet-type breakfast with huge variety of nicely laid out food. All fresh, all delicious. If you have time - sit and enjoy. Bread was of particularly great quality and taste.
4. Rooms - there is enough space and they are clean, however, in the bathroom you might see some areas where paint job or cleaning could be applied. That would be my only remark, apart from too soft beds (sorry, I prefer hard ones). Furniture is modern, internet works fine and fast, there is also TV service and movie library to be used but I haven't tried it so ... no opinion.

I haven't found anything really to complain. If you are looking for a good quality hotel - look no more - chose this one and enjoy it, plus enjoy the food, as much as I enjoyed it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Very conveniently located hotel a few steps from the main airport terminal. Very friendly and welcoming personnel. Standard rooms are small but nicely decorated and furnished. A couple of cardio tools as well as a nice sauna compliment the small gym facility. Absolute stunning breakfast with fresh juices, smoothies, egg dishes, freshly made pancakes, various fish, cheese and meat choices, cakes, breads/rolls & croissants, cereals and much more…delicious.
Will come back for my next stay in Stavanger/Sola, that's for sure!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Firstly key card didn't work, then internet was so poor it was unusable and to top it all the shower was cold and would not warm up. At over £200 a night this was rubbish. Reception staff on arrival were friendly but on leaving i was not asked how my stay was and therefore had no chance to get my complaints aired - they seemed pleased to get rid of everyone as quickly as possible. Room was clean and fine though

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We arrived at midnight, received a warm welcome and were checked in within minutes. Our room on the fourth floor was reasonably large and almost perfect. As with Rica Park Hotel, the towels could be a little larger and a better quality. Although the hotel is situated right beside the terminal, the rooms are so well insulated that we heard no aircraft noise at all.

The breakfast is exceptional – one of the best in Norway.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
#10 of 27 in Stavanger
Scandic Stavanger City
Scandic Stavanger City
#6 of 27 in Stavanger

Been to Scandic Stavanger Airport? Share your experiences!