The Lighthouse Inn
US$97
US$90
US$87
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel(Folkestone)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$87
Priceline
US$114
All reviewsthe cliffbattle of britainfull englishgroupon vouchercurry nighttraditional sunday roastham egg and chipsgame pietidy roomboth morningswhite cliffs of doverfantastic locationthe publick of paintfriendly hotelsea viewcomfortable bed
Reviewed 28 September 2013

On a recent spur of the moment trip from Dover to Calais, we came across The Lighthouse Inn and very pleased we did.
We were met at reception/bar by a member of staff and lead up to our room, which consisted of a large clean and tidy room - double bed and single bed. The bathroom was airy and light, everything worked as it should!
Booked a table for dinner and popped out to see the scenery. There's adequate parking facilities and just a stones throw away a beautiful view of the channel and France! No fences on the cliff, so one should be careful in the dark!
Time for dinner, I decided to have the Ribeye Steak which was on offer asked for a medium and I can honestly say It was cooked to perfection! My partner ordered a Thai Curry, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I found the Raspberry and White Chocolate dessert to be divine. Food & Drinks very reasonably priced. Meal & Drinks for two - less than £30, good quality so can't complain.
Had a good nights sleep and strolled down for breakfast, I decided to be fussy and had coffee, cereals and toast. Partner requested bacon, sausage and egg sarnie - loved it.
Short drive to Dover to catch our ferry with plenty of time spare.
Very pleased we found this place, we will definitely be returning on future trips to Kent/France, as the location is ideal.

Room Tip: I'd suggest setting up your Satnav.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dee H
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I booked The Lighthouse Inn for myself and my friend as a one night stop over the night before getting a morning crossing to France on the Eurotunnel. I have used chain establishments before which I have found soulless and not an inspiring start to a holiday.
I should have realised there were service issues when I rang for directions from Folkestone and got 'I haven't got a clue' as an answer. Someone else came to the phone and gave directions.
We entered the bar area, after a hellish journey on the UK motorway network, loaded with luggage and were ignored by the staff member on duty. After trying to find our own way to a reception area, we realised the bar area was it so went back. We announced ourselves, expecting some kind of a welcome but were met with 'do you want to pay?' as more of a request than a question. I was rather affronted and said that I didn't; I wanted to see the room, have a drink and said I would pay later. The room was OK; it looked out over a static caravan site but was clean. The bathroom was very basic and the door didn't close. There were no glasses in which to have a drink which I asked to be rectified when we went down for dinner. This didn't happen. My gin and tonic came with no ice or lemon. The Lighthouse is a pub/restaurant with rooms and food is their main focus. However, the food is very average and really not up to standard in 2013 .... a sloppy made from a jar or frozen (?) lamb rogan josh with tiny pieces of lamb in it and an equally 'uncheffy' chicken tikka masala, for nearly ten pounds each. The room was added to the bill which at 80 pounds B&B was expensive considering the quality, facilities and service. Breakfast was equally disappointing with a pot of hot water served with coffee granule sachets and tea bags, despite there being a professional coffee machine in the bar. The place is exceptionally clean and the bedding was good quality and white but the service issues from what we hoped was going to be a step up from the chains made it a very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Ring to discuss. I didn't and had a poor bathroom with a view of a static caravan park.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank NottsGirlsontour
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I had reason to travel to Paris to pick up my daughter from New York as she was bringing her little daschund to Scotland. We stayed overnight at the Lighthouse INN at Capel-le-ferne and found the whole experience uplifting. Due to an early channel tunnel crossing, we had to leave early am in the morning. Our twin bedded and single bed room was of a very high standard and we enjoyed dinner and drinks in the ambience of the Inn. The food was of a high standard with the sweets to die for. All the staff and the owners made us feel very welcome and with the setting looking to Folkestone and the White Cliffs, this is a venue not to be missed. It was a pity we could not have stayed longer at this Jewel in the Crown. Anyone crossing to Calais from Folkestone should not miss this treat. Stuart Bruce

Room Tip: South facing to the White Cliffs
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Stuart B
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here for two nights with a family of six before we sailed from Dover to Calais. Enjoyed one huge clean, bright room. Very comfortable bed. Everything brand new. We were so glad that we didn't just go for the Premier Inn in Dover. This place has something very special about it. For a large family looking for value, good quality and a warm welcome I can't think of anywhere we have stayed for better value. Its so much nicer here than in run down Dover and only five mins away. We note the other more negative reviews one of which states that it felt like it was perhaps not ready to open. We stayed in August, and by the time we stayed everything was up and running well. - Did I mention the huge bathroom? Also its a lovely old house, but nothing creepy about it. We would stay again and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Matthew B
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My wife an I stayed at the Lighthouse Inn for 2 nights in June. We were greeted by a very nice young lady behind the bar, who then showed us to our room. We had a double room with an en suite and could tell that the room had been recently decorated. The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable, we even had a very nice TV in the room.
The first evening we dined in the restaurant, I had a steak and my wife had fish and chips, both meals were absolutely delicious and we both had plenty of food. We originally thought about dining out on our second night but loved the food so much we dined in the restaurant both nights.
The staff were very polite and helpful, offering help with directions and ideas for what to do during our stay.
All in all we had a fantastic weekend and have already booked to come back on our wedding anniversary in September.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple