“Clean, comfortable, a little noisy”
Review of The Lighthouse Inn

The Lighthouse Inn
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Clean, comfortable, a little noisy”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My partner and I visited off-season in early April. We were the only people staying at the inn but were given a room right above the bar. Loud music from the bar could be heard quite clearly in the room. Fortunately this was turned off at 10.30pm, although it did come back on at around 8am on the Sunday morning.
Aside from this, the room was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. A decent breakfast was provided, although we had requested soya milk in advance but this was not available.
It was a convenient and good value stop over.

Room Tip: Request a room that's not above the bar if you don't want to listen to the music.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We visited the Lighthous Inn for an early Spring break, Friday night to Sunday morning. Our experience was overwhelmingly positive.
A warm welcome was on hand on arrival, and we were pleasantly surprised by the size of our (very clean) room. Yes, there are small areas for improvement, such as mis-matched skirting boards etc, but the things that mattered to us (comfy and clean bed, clean spacious bathroom, efficient heating etc) were all spot-on.
We dined in on the Saturday night, and were again pleasantly surprised, as the menu was full and varied; food proved to be well-cooked and delicious. Anne, our super waitress, deserves a special mention for her helpfull, friendly and knowledgeable servive.
All in all, for a weekend break the Lighthouse served us perfectly. It's a stones-throw from the stunning coastline between Dover and Folkestone, within easy reach of public transport, and a great base for some stunning walks.
We will be back.....SOON!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul T
Stourport-on-Severn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I have to agree witt some previous reviews: this place does not work properly. The only thing that was in perfect order was that the room was really clean! That's it. I give them a score Average as I find that very important but have to admit that all the rest was below average.
The guy who "welcomed" us did not bother to help my husband out with our 2 large suitcases , not even after I mentioned he was injured and that I cannot carry heavy stuff either. It was a steep climb, rather dangerous with the carpet being loose at certain places. The guy almost run up the stairs and left us struggling behind him. Our grey hair did not impress him I guess...
Room was very basic, large but just 2 beds and 1 sofa that was not in a condition to sit on being so worn that it almost reached the floor when we tried to sit on it. Turned out to be a childrens bed...???? Huge old cupboard but no hangers or place to put something...just a big hole to be honest, taking loads of space. Bathroom was very basic, but clean! It was large but had nothing but a bath and shower over the bath, a wash basin and a toilet. Nothing to leave your stuff or clothes or anything..not even a smal planchet or a hook . So I had to leave my stuff on the floor which is rather unhygienic!
Food: just not good at all. Very greasy fish and chips were served by very uninterested personnel. They put it in front of your nose and off they go. I have never ever experienced that before. We had to sort of gatter everything we needed from other tables ourselves!? Salt, pepper, sauces etc ...only on a few tables, so we were supposed to share them I guess. We were constantly asked for salt or pepper by other diners too of course while having our meal! They seem to have great problems as they were chatting amongst each other and one could notice the tensed atmosphere. The whole family seems to live there and walk in and out to get drinks etc for themselves ignoring the guests who are trying to get a drink served or something.We were expected to know who was working and who was not??
After we paid the bill someone came after us to the parking space asking us if we were leaving the hotel now?? we said yes we are. Oh...and did you pay? WHAT??? yes we did.....it is just a mess there and I hope they will get it sorted soon as this is not a business now but a family gathering and in the meantime they try to earn a few pounds? The building has been done up a bit but certainly not very well....
That building has great potential and it is a great location also...so get yourself together people!

Room Tip: Ask them about the stairs you need to climb if that is important to you! Do not expect them to lif...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Viv11_11
Winchester, UK
Reviewed 28 September 2013

On a recent spur of the moment trip from Dover to Calais, we came across The Lighthouse Inn and very pleased we did.
We were met at reception/bar by a member of staff and lead up to our room, which consisted of a large clean and tidy room - double bed and single bed. The bathroom was airy and light, everything worked as it should!
Booked a table for dinner and popped out to see the scenery. There's adequate parking facilities and just a stones throw away a beautiful view of the channel and France! No fences on the cliff, so one should be careful in the dark!
Time for dinner, I decided to have the Ribeye Steak which was on offer asked for a medium and I can honestly say It was cooked to perfection! My partner ordered a Thai Curry, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I found the Raspberry and White Chocolate dessert to be divine. Food & Drinks very reasonably priced. Meal & Drinks for two - less than £30, good quality so can't complain.
Had a good nights sleep and strolled down for breakfast, I decided to be fussy and had coffee, cereals and toast. Partner requested bacon, sausage and egg sarnie - loved it.
Short drive to Dover to catch our ferry with plenty of time spare.
Very pleased we found this place, we will definitely be returning on future trips to Kent/France, as the location is ideal.

Room Tip: I'd suggest setting up your Satnav.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dee H
Nottingham
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I booked The Lighthouse Inn for myself and my friend as a one night stop over the night before getting a morning crossing to France on the Eurotunnel. I have used chain establishments before which I have found soulless and not an inspiring start to a holiday.
I should have realised there were service issues when I rang for directions from Folkestone and got 'I haven't got a clue' as an answer. Someone else came to the phone and gave directions.
We entered the bar area, after a hellish journey on the UK motorway network, loaded with luggage and were ignored by the staff member on duty. After trying to find our own way to a reception area, we realised the bar area was it so went back. We announced ourselves, expecting some kind of a welcome but were met with 'do you want to pay?' as more of a request than a question. I was rather affronted and said that I didn't; I wanted to see the room, have a drink and said I would pay later. The room was OK; it looked out over a static caravan site but was clean. The bathroom was very basic and the door didn't close. There were no glasses in which to have a drink which I asked to be rectified when we went down for dinner. This didn't happen. My gin and tonic came with no ice or lemon. The Lighthouse is a pub/restaurant with rooms and food is their main focus. However, the food is very average and really not up to standard in 2013 .... a sloppy made from a jar or frozen (?) lamb rogan josh with tiny pieces of lamb in it and an equally 'uncheffy' chicken tikka masala, for nearly ten pounds each. The room was added to the bill which at 80 pounds B&B was expensive considering the quality, facilities and service. Breakfast was equally disappointing with a pot of hot water served with coffee granule sachets and tea bags, despite there being a professional coffee machine in the bar. The place is exceptionally clean and the bedding was good quality and white but the service issues from what we hoped was going to be a step up from the chains made it a very disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Ring to discuss. I didn't and had a poor bathroom with a view of a static caravan park.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank NottsGirlsontour
Lasswade
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I had reason to travel to Paris to pick up my daughter from New York as she was bringing her little daschund to Scotland. We stayed overnight at the Lighthouse INN at Capel-le-ferne and found the whole experience uplifting. Due to an early channel tunnel crossing, we had to leave early am in the morning. Our twin bedded and single bed room was of a very high standard and we enjoyed dinner and drinks in the ambience of the Inn. The food was of a high standard with the sweets to die for. All the staff and the owners made us feel very welcome and with the setting looking to Folkestone and the White Cliffs, this is a venue not to be missed. It was a pity we could not have stayed longer at this Jewel in the Crown. Anyone crossing to Calais from Folkestone should not miss this treat. Stuart Bruce

Room Tip: South facing to the White Cliffs
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Stuart B
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here for two nights with a family of six before we sailed from Dover to Calais. Enjoyed one huge clean, bright room. Very comfortable bed. Everything brand new. We were so glad that we didn't just go for the Premier Inn in Dover. This place has something very special about it. For a large family looking for value, good quality and a warm welcome I can't think of anywhere we have stayed for better value. Its so much nicer here than in run down Dover and only five mins away. We note the other more negative reviews one of which states that it felt like it was perhaps not ready to open. We stayed in August, and by the time we stayed everything was up and running well. - Did I mention the huge bathroom? Also its a lovely old house, but nothing creepy about it. We would stay again and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Matthew B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capel-le-Ferne
Best Western Plus Dover Marina Hotel & Spa
#6 of 10 in Folkestone
Wards Hotel
Wards Hotel
#1 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to The Lighthouse Inn? Share your experiences!