“Nice hotel, but rooms are outdated”

Scandic Sunnfjord Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Forde
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed at Rica Sunnfjord Hotel with my wife on our way from Bergen to Geiranger. The hotel was nice, with free wi-fi, friendly and good service at the reception and a good breakfast.

However, the room and the hotelwing we stayed in was rather outdated, and did not match the price of the room - therefore an average rating.

Btw, the city of Førde is rather sleepy - we arrived on a Saturday and the reception recommended us a bar for a drink in the evening. When we arrived at the bar, there was two people besides us and the bartender, and no further people showed up when we was there :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank micmm

Reviewed 4 July 2012

I have spent one night in this hotel while traveling on holiday with my wife from Alesund to Bergen: it offers free parking and free wifi, plus it has a very nice swimming pool and training fitness room to relax. The spa offers lots of treatments too.
This is a modern, high quality and well maintained structure. Only some complains: no safe was available in our room, no water heater nor mugs for complimentary coffee/tea, and the minibar - albeit present - was completely empty.
Apart from those minor issues our stay has been pleasant and we enjoyed the excellent breakfast buffet. Too bad we couldn't say the same for the dinner buffet, which was indeed limited (some meat, vegetables and desserts) and seriously overpriced - avoid it if it's not included.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank DriftSK
Reviewed 22 June 2012

we stayed 2 nights in the mote modern wing of the hotel. is seems to be important as there is an oldet one. thr id nice good service quite s long walk to the room until you get to the elevator. very good meals and s very good breakfast. ee enjoyed the hotel

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I have read through some of the other negative reviews and can't help but not understanding their complaints. In this review I will give a summary of both the negative aspects as well as the positive.

The Staff:
Friendly and helpful. They even helped us remove the stuff in the minibar so we could use it for our own drinks and food! The only downside of the staff during our stay was not removing all the dirty coffee cups and such from the room while cleaning.

The bathroom:
Poor lightning over the mirror made putting on my make-up an interesting affair! The toilet did not flush very well.
We had both a bath tub and separate shower which were very comfortable.

The room in general:
We had a two bed room as we traveled as friends. Nice size beds which were very comfortable.
Enough space for both my friend and me to sit with our separate lap tops doing some work.
A nice balcony with afternoon sun.

The food:
After a stay at Rica Nidelven (in Trondheim) the expectations may have been a bit high, however I did know that Rica Nidelven has several awards for their totally awesome food and service which it would be very hard to compete against. However I am not disappointed, the food were OK, not awesome, but good.

The Spa:
I must admit I am a bit spoiled when it comes to Spa Hotels as both my friend and I travel several times a year treating our self with nice hotels and spas. This hotel get a plus for their service and helpfulness regarding finding the correct staff for your treatments. As I told them my preference in treatments they were very helpful finding the staff which would do the best job for me.

Room Tip: Use the staff! Tell them your wishes and needs and they are very helpful!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2011

I've stayed at this hotel several times, and I tend to come back..

The hotel has a good restaurant, bar, free parking, wifi and swimming pool and a gym.

The staff is polite, and helpful. The rooms are over all good, some of them not as good as the best ones.. But all over, I can't complain.
There are good beds, possibilities to open the windows and good bathrooms.

The dinned buffet is a little bit dangerous, i tend to over eat... The same is with the breakfast, it's "to good".. In good Rica style the breakfast got everything you need!

This hotel is great for business travelers, as well as family traveling.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the never rooms!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank kekker
Reviewed 25 September 2011

staff fantastic breakfast brilliant,room more like a suite, modern clean, restaurant great food what more do I have to say. If you need to to fjorde STAY THERE

Room Tip: bus stops outside for airport so dont get taxi
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank sharpgun
Odd Erik G, General Manager at Scandic Sunnfjord Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review, I will pass your reply to the hotels staff for their inspiration.
We hope to see you again as our guest.

Best Regards

Odd Erik Gullaksen

Reviewed 28 August 2011

I am very impressed with my stay at the Sunnfjord Hotel. The staff was helpful, attentive, friendly and kind. The breakfast is award-winning – the best in the whole west region of Norway, and the hotel has great ammenities, such as swimming pool and spa area. And the beds are sooo comfortable! I couldn't be happier with this hotel, and I can give it my warmest recommendations.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forde
Thon Hotel Jolster
Efinor Apartments Forde
Forde pensjonat
Forde pensjonat
#1 of 2 in Forde
Forde Hostel
Forde Hostel
#2 of 2 in Forde

Been to Scandic Sunnfjord Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!