“Glorious stay at Eplet”
Review of Eplet Bed & Apple

Eplet Bed & Apple
Reviewed 7 July 2012

One of the highlights of our wonderful trip - Trond is a fabulous host, and his jams and juices are divine! The accommodations themselves are lovely. Nothing fancy, but very comfortable and clean, and the other guests and the staff are delightful - getting to know them was a wonderful part of our stay. We loved the balconies right outside our rooms - what a view! - and I spent a happy evening rocking in the hammock, drinking tea, reading, and enjoying the late evening light.

My sisters and I wanted to take advantage of the top-notch bikes that are available to guests, and Trond suggested two unforgettable expeditions, and provided us with a nice map/guide for both of them. He clearly wants everyone to have a great time getting to know his little corner of Norway, and does everything he can to make sure that happens.

Several people mention the limited number of businesses in Solvorn - it's true that your only options for dinner are a small cafe, and the very expensive Walaker Hotel, but I think this is a positive, not a negative!! We ate at the cafe every night - the food was fresh and tasty, and we loved getting to know our charming waitress, and chatting with the locals. You can also buy provisions from Eplet's tiny store - they're very reasonably priced, and we had fun making breakfast in the kitchen, then eating at the table overlooking the beautiful views.

My only TINY quibble was the fact that the shades in the bedrooms didn't block much light. As we were visiting at Midsummer, I had a bit of trouble sleeping when it was still quite light at midnight. But other than that, our stay was absolutely perfect!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Julia W

Reviewed 20 June 2012

I drove from Bergen to Gudvangen, then ferry to Kaupanger; then drove towards Sogndal. After crossing a bridge (not very obvious), Instead of turning into Sogndal, keep right and turn right towards Kvam and continue driving. Look out for Solvorn and/or signboard for Urnes Ferry sign and do a right turn into Solvorn.

The road into Solvorn is steep but easy drive as there is very little traffic. When you finally reach a narrowing road passable for one car, slow down and look out for Eplet sign board on the left.

Follow the sign board and drive into the small lane (slightly upslope and park at a empty ground besides Apple tree plantation about 2meter tall).

Eplet is on top and if you read the tripadvisor photo carefully, you can see remember/recognised the apple logo on the two stories high building on top.

Excellent Hosts who immediately explain what you can do in Solvern.

We start our drive in Bergen at 9am and slowly reached Solvern in about 5pm.

After check in, we cooked our dinner (brought on Sogndal supermarket - there are a few easy stops just outside Sogndal, in fact, you should buy your dinner, breakfast and picnic lunch here before going to Eplet. It's very easy to cook in Eplet and that's what we did in when we stayed here two days.) After dinner, we take a walk around Solvern town.

Next morning, we eat our breakfast and pack our picnic lunch and take two mountain bike with helmet (free when staying in Eplet), and off we go for the Romantic road.

The Romantic road is a bit long and one shall peddle to the waterfall first. Only upon return, and if you have energy, then you should consider going to the Urnes Stavechurch (because it's upslope about 20 mins walk - too steep for me to cycle up).
Another reason why you should go to the waterfall first is because, the ferry from Urnes to Solvern left every hour eg. 2.30, 3:30, 4:30. There is no 5:30pm ferry, the last one is 6pm. Watch your time and try to catch the 4:30pm ferry.

P.S. I had taken a similar bike ride on Danube from Melk to Krem (pronounce as "Milk" and "Krem").
#1. Melk to Krem is much easier ride because it's one way down the Danube and the return could be done by the Ferry or Train.
#2. Melk to Krem is more scenic and some activities can be done eg. cafe, buildings, vineyard etc.

However, Eplet's Romantic ride is romantic precisely for the reason that it's tougher and you need to watch your time. Imagine that you had a partner going with you. And each of you, encouraging and helping one another along the road. This to me is a demonstration of team sprite and make this trip very romantic and memorable.

P.S. If I sounds that the bicycle trip is very tough and only for very fit person, then that's not what I meant. It's easy ride. Just need to plan to take the 10 am boat from Solvern and return by 4:30pm (worst case, there is a 6pm last ferry).

Ok, my timing was like this:
10am- sailing to Urnes
10:20am - reach and pushing my bicycle up hill to Urnes church
10:40am - join the English tour guide explaining why this particular Urnes Stavechurch is so special. Of course, beyond begin the oldest, it's also build following Chinese FengShui (I'm kidding)
11:30am - Cycling on Romantic Road to waterfall
1:30pm - abandon our bicycle below a bridge (next to the river); and walk in land along the river towards waterfall
2pm - reach the viewing point and rest for 10mins
4:20pm - Back at Urnes Jetty and enjoy a cone ice-cream with big smiles on my face.

I did it!

Eplet has micro wave, cooking facility and my favourite is the Oven.
I had use the over to bake my salmon fish (brought from Solvern supermarket and choose one with seasoning so that you do not need to prepare/laminate).
I saw a German man frying hamburgers.
I saw a french lady cooking pasta with meatball, etc.

The best things is every room has a color (mine is a red room which I prefers - explain later).
The host prepared a cabinet with color tag so that we can store our bread, biscuit, etc on the cabinet without mixing with others.
Similarly, a colored shelf in the refigurator is also allocated for each room to store our Salmon, etc.

Lastly, why I prefers Red room?
There are 4 rooms sharing one toilet+shower (plus another toilet downstairs next to kitchen).
The red room is behind the toilet (aka nearest to the toilet).
I like the red room because I do not need to come out of my room to check whether someone is in the toilet or not. I just need to listern.

If you think that there might be noise from the toilet that disturb your peace...
Not a problem for me at all.
Three reasons:
1. most of the time we are out, playing
2. there is a no shower after 11pm policy as well as a reminder too.
3. I don't think you believed me, the people that I encountered in Eplet are so nice that I think we belongs to the same family. Sharing is good and the right way to do things.

The motto of Eplet live up to it's name: "Treat this place as your family"

The sitting room is always occupied by soothing music/songs (excellent speakers).
People laz around reading, writting, surfing, etc.
One evening, a bit rousy... playing of mini-golf outside the living rooms.

This place is also suitable for kids (3 years)... I saw one family playing lego with their kids too.

Romantic, fun and unique experience that I will remember for life.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chris361
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Drove from Bergen using the RV5 and E16, part of the National Tourist Route to reach Zen-liked Solvorn & met by friendly Trond (the host) at the Eplet. The location, the atmosphere of this place, whether in the house or outside, Trond & his crew, is simply magic. Right now, I'm writing this review, sitting in the cosy & comfortable couch in the living room over-looking the entire fjord. This morning, I was greeted with the cute bleating sound of 2 lambs, chirping sound of birds...of course, the fresh cool morning breeze.
At the Eplet, one gets to ride on a push bike, with all the gears ready, helmet...even, a back-pack with no extra charge. One just need to have an open-mind, stamina & head over to the ferry, to cross over to Urnes (ferry ride circa NOK 34). From there, it is a nice ride along the coast & to the waterfall called the "Romantic ride". Eplet just have so much to offer to destressed, detoxed, chill-out...there are plenty of hammocks too. After the bike ride, just grabbed a pure Blueberry juice made at Eplet for just NOK 35, to quench & rehydrate.
It's a real chill-out place!!!

Room Tip: The blue or yellow room in the main building.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ArthyTraveller
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My husband and would rate this stay as one of our best trips ever. We camped at the Eplet for 8 nights. The staff was very friendly, the accommodation was nice and clean, and there were many outdoor activities to choose from. Whenever I feel stressed these days, I just imagine myself back at Eplet!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Eplet really hit the spot. Norway is so expensive that a couple of days time out in Eplet was just what we needed to restore our love of the country. Great facilities... loved the sheep... all very very relaxing. The cafe in the village is great - the pizzas are delicious.

The ferry across to urnes was great and borrowing the bikes from Eplet made for a really lovely day out pottering alongside the beautiful fjord. The shop in the village is a little bit limited but there is easily enough to put together a few cheap and cheerful meals. Just be aware their opening hours are short to make a beeline for the cafe and shop first up.

Eplet itself had a nice communal atmosphere and a mixed bag of other guests. Definietly easiest if you have your own car but thats probably due to the region as opposed to Eplet itself.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarleeBrisbane
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Trond and his staff, Marie and Linda, provide a "home" atmosphere. You really do feel at home and don't feel pressured to purchase anything aside from the internet access. They are genuinely kind, caring, and generous. The location is second to none. The rooms are small in case you haven't read that from the other reviews and the bathroom is overly congested. Aside from that, it is grand!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My family and I stayed at Eplet for 3 days in August 2011. It was a great location for doing excursions around the area. All the staff were extremely nice and helpful. We met people for all over the world and truly enjoyed our stay. It was our first experience staying at a hostel, and would now have the courage to try another one in another area. The place was clean and well organized. It was just a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 5 in Sogndal Municipality
Boyum Camping
Boyum Camping
#1 of 3 in Fjaerland

Been to Eplet Bed & Apple? Share your experiences!