“Under expectation...”
Review of Farris Bad Hotel

Farris Bad Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Larvik
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Spa is superb, but the Hotel was way under expectation considering the price. The room/bed was good, even if I had expected an upgrade considering I booked two packages, but extremely noisy as it was above the restaurant/bar. The Hotel seems to be very attractive for groups/seminars so if you want to spend a calm week-end it get's difficult. The restaurant was okayisch as some dishes were very tastefull, others like the veal is to be avoided. They tried to double bill me twice for a dinner and a bottle so be carefull on check out/restaurant bills. Then you add some small disapointments like no welcome drink when you arrive, rooms available only from 4pm and parking is extra even though you spend a lot of money already booking the place, so in general I would say it was a quite dissapointing experience. I would recommend to take another Hotel and go there for the Spa.

Room Tip: do not take rooms to the inside (restaurant/bar) or as much as possible towards the sea
2  Thank Lutz L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Really good service all over, wonderful diverified spa and treatments, many near by excursion opportunities. Nice selection for dinner and a respectable wine list. Little bit unlucky with a noisy air condition though.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

All hotels have their wee faults/foibles and this hotel is no exception, so the bad bits are easier to list than the good bits, so I'll start there first.

Well the room even though it is gorgeous, has small signs of wear and tear here and there, and I am talking insignificant bumps and dents in the furniture, you know, usual every day use, we also found a couple of screw in the balcony that were a wee bit proud.

And that's it!

Now to the good points - this is the hard part, because I could be writing for days!!

The bed was sumptuous and it felt as though it had never been used before, none of the tell-tale dents or hollows of an ageing mattress, the room was spotlessly clean without being clinical, it was well appointed and tastefully furnished.

The bathroom, similarly well appointed and equally spotless, it was also maintained at a very constant and comfortable temperature, so no stinging feet feet when you dash in for that 2am visit. The balcony was a lovely, unexpected bonus, giving us a sunwashed view of the 'enclosed' beach in the morning and a peaceful private haven in the afternoon.

On to the Spa, well we have visited several Spa hotels over the last few years and the facilities here made some of the more well renowned British Spa hotels look..well.. irrelevant really.

Not for Farris Bad the crappy white plastic steam room, oh no. A fully appointed built steam room with mood lighting lovely soothing music and room for more than 6 people, lots more than 6- the point here is space loads and loads of it without compromising on comfort or the individual experience, there was the dry sauna, a Tepidarium, an ice cold Plunge Pool, a herbal sauna, feature showers that were really something to behold - I won't try to describe everything as you should really, I mean really try it for yourself, but I will sneak on the end with a hot tub overlooking the Fjord with another sauna right beside it and for those that are hardy enough - or just foolish enough like me - there is a ladder down into the sea..

On to the restaurant, there are some on here that have criticised the hotel for having a short menu, personally I applaud it. With a short menu you know the chef's become past masters at what they provide, rather than having an opera score of hit and miss.

All of the meals we had in the hotel were cooked, presented, delivered and measured to perfection. I didn't get presented with sparrow like portions, nor did I get a mountain to climb, I did get delicious food in appropriate portions. This was further backed up by a waiter who knew his stuff when it came to the correct wine for the course. At no point were we ever disappointed or left wanting.

Lots of places have great service, this place however, has great service with a smile and at every corner we were made to feel like very highly valued guests.

To sum this trip up I can only really say three words. 'Go there yourself.'

You will not be disappointed.

Oh, I almost forgot to add, the hotel is full of utterly amazing art some in all different forms, predominately art based on the human form.

2  Thank BikerBuster
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I can really recommend this spa hotel. A great spa experience, great facilities and additional good spa programs included in the price. I really enjoyed the spa aufguss and sauna with a sea horizon view. Delicate rooms and great service. They can improve slightly on the evening restaurant and food, but overall a great hotel experience!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Line V
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I can really recommend this hotel. A beautiful beach location and breathtaking views towards Skagerrak. Great location with inspiring art on the walls. Scandinavia's largest spa facilities which were very comprehensive and professionally. The Heyerdahl suite was fantastic, and all the staff was incredibly nice and professional

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MayBrittBjerke
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have used this hotel twise. The first time I was on business, and the hotel har special rates for the company I was visiting then. My room then was a very good room, but the suite is even better. As expected. The second time I got the "Larvikitt Suite". It was a bit "well used", but still exclusive and nice. The spa area was very nice and clean. The spa closed a bit to early I think. The prices is a bit high I think. I was not able to get massage, so this probably have to be ordered in advance, before you arrive at the hotel. But it was a very nice stay. I really want to go back there soon.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a suite.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Johnreewes
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My fiance booked us a weekend here and I was excited as i had heard great things about the spa. The room was nice, facing the sea (although it was low season so not many people) but I was really dissapointed with the spa. Im not a very uptight person, but most Norwegians are not used to nudity in public baths which are more common in other countries. Honestly, if people want to be naked sitting on their towen in the sauna its fine, but in the bubble bath with other people and pubic hair floating around? no thanks.. The only area with clothes is the very boring swimming pool. The spa is divided from this with walls and large signs recommending taking clothes of. I actually felt preassured, and weird wearing my swimsuit. It is even a day a week where it is obligatory to go nudist! Again Im an open minded person, but I did not find this relaxing at all rather the oposite.. Oh, and we ordered room service for dinner as I was tired, and that costs 100 krones extra! wow, it is Norway but that is crazy!!!!

Room Tip: ask for seaview
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mangodays m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Larvik
9 mi away
Engo Gard Hotel & Restaurant
Trudvang Gjestegaard
Trudvang Gjestegaard
#4 of 4 in Larvik

Been to Farris Bad Hotel? Share your experiences!