“Stay away”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kolbotn
Arendal
“Stay away”
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I tried 3 rooms before I got a keycard that worked.
Room was shabby. The sofa had 3 legs, the carpet was a mess. Tiles missing in toilet.
A dinnerparty of 11 had to return the potatoes which were raw. Waited 30 minutes.
Good breakfast. So, so luch. Terrible dinner. Got sick and had to stay one day in bed. My guess - campylobacter or another form of foodpoisoining.
Seminar rooms were freezing cold.
Stayed 5 days on a seminar. I will never use this hotel again. My collegues were not impressed neither. Best thing was free coffe, free nuts and a free ice-machine. Possibly to camuflage the other shortcomings this hotel suffers from.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
SureOslo, General Manager at Quality Hotel Mastemyr, responded to this review, 23 February 2009
First of all, I would like to thank you for commenting our hotel on TripAdvisor.

Since you stayed with us, which was in 2007 (2 years ago) a lot has changed at Mastemyr. First to mention, is that all the hotel rooms have been refurbshed (finished this week).

Regarding the food, I must say that I am sorry to read that this was of poor quality. However, all the staff in the kitchen and restaurant are also new since 2007 - and I can promise you a much better experience now.

I sincerely hope we can welcome you to Quality Hotel Mastemyr again, and that you will be much more satisfied with our service and facilities this time.

The Management at Quality Hotel Mastemyr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bucharest
Reviewed 3 December 2008

Judging by Norway standards, the hotel is probably a good deal for Oslo, provided, of course, you travel by car.

We spent two nights in this hotel in September. Although we arrived very late on the first night, everything went smoothly with the check-in. The reception lady was very polite and managed to keep a big smile on her face despite the late hours.

We found the hotel lobby, with its modern Scandinavian touch, much better than we had expected. The room on the other hand, though very clean, looked really tired. It seems there are two types of rooms: the refurbished ones and whatever makes up the rest. Another dissapointment was the breakfast room, which seems stuck in the 70's and has nothing to do with the idea of decoration. Huge, unwelcoming, it is not a place for sipping your morning coffee, but rather an eat&go facility.

Breakfast comes in a wide selection - there is something for each taste, some of it bio. The hotel provides fresh fruits to go on the reception desk.

All in all, we picked this hotel for the price but would probably look for another one, if we were to visit Oslo again (for a more Norway-like feel).

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The breakfast-room.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
SureOslo, General Manager at Quality Hotel Mastemyr, responded to this review, 4 December 2008
First of all, I would like to thank you for your feedback here on Tripadvisor. By getting feedback, is the only way we can improve our product and service.
I'm very happy that you enjoyed the breakfast and our service staff. Regarding an area for getting a cup of coffee - we have a large lounge area just outside the breakfast room, were all our guests are more than welcome to bring their coffee. I'm sorry that we didn't give you information about this.
Regarding the rooms - you were right at the time in September. One third of our rooms were refurbished last year and the rest is ongoing now. We have finished one more floor and the rest of the rooms are to be finished just around x-mas.

Once again, thanks for your feedback - and of course I hope we can welcome you to Mastemyr again - to a new and fresh hotel!

The Management of Quality Hotel Mastemyr

Travellers are raving about these Kolbotn hotels

Peterborough
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Just returned from the European Quiz Championships which were held at the Quality Hotel at the end of August. It was booked as part of a package so I didn't really know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. It is in a nice wooded setting outside Oslo although with very little within easy walking distance other than a Shell garage. I thought the bus stop back from the centre was actually rather convenient. Just a very short walk through an underpass. My room was small but the bed was amongst the most comfortable I've slept in. I enjoyed some of the best nights sleep I've had and that can't be put down to over indulgence at the bar with beer being £7.50 for 0.4 litre!
Meals were fine and the breakfast buffet was extensive. The meat balls and scrambled eggs were a more than adequate substitute for the full English!
Facilties for our event were superb with well appointed and large meeting rooms.
I was particularly impressed by the complimentary, coffeee and tea, cakes etc. not to mention the on tap free ice cream and sprinkles, a facility I've never seen anywhere else and one which I readily indulged in.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
In summary, I would be happy to recommend the Quality Inn, Mastemry.

• Stayed November 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SureOslo, General Manager at Quality Hotel Mastemyr, responded to this review, 11 November 2008
Thanks a lot for giving feedback regarding your stay at Quality Hotel Mastemyr. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay here and of course we hope to welcome you back some other time.
The management at Quality Hotel Mastemyr
Calgary AB
Reviewed 17 September 2008

Overall not a bad spot.

First the positives: the decor was somewhat stylish and the room was very clean and quiet. The staff were helpful and there was a really great breakfast (even with organic ingredients) included in the cost of the room. There were some very nice little details- free coffee to go each morning, fresh fruit always available. Parking was free also, which was a major bonus.

The downsides: the hotel is quite some distance from downtown Oslo and the easiest way to get into town was to take the transit bus number 83 (about a 20 minute ride) which picks you up from the street in front of the hotel and drops you off at the central terminal. Unfortunately, the return bus number 83 drops you off about 15 minutes away (on foot) from the hotel and the bus stop is in quite a remote location, so keep this in mind if you're travelling after dark! The walk was little sketchy! Also, the beach was not readily accessible as advertised- it involved one of two dark, heavily forested footpaths, as did access to the off-site fitness facility. This place really wasn't a great option is you're looking to run or go for a walk.

• Liked — good breakfast
  • Disliked — poor location
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SureOslo, General Manager at Quality Hotel Mastemyr, responded to this review, 15 October 2008
Thank you for your review of the Quality Hotel Mastemyr. We are very happy to read that you had a very nice stay with us and that you enjoyed our organic breafast.
Regarding the bus, it looks like someone have given you bad information. The bus stop for the return bus - is actually on the other side of the street - with perhaps 2 minutes to walk to the hotel entrance.
Thanks also for giving us feedback regarding the fitness center and the beach. You are correct - it is approx 10-15 minutes walk to the beach and 3-4 minutes walk to the fitness centre.
Once again, thanks for your review - we hope to see you again!
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 27 August 2007

I arrived late and was checked in promptly. Room on the 3rd floor was clean, although quite small - the desk did not really provide sufficient room to work, and I had to pull the bed out to get to an electric socket.

Wireless broadband was about UK£6 for 4 hours, but these hours had to be used immediately. The bar area was very quiet.

Breakfast was an excellent buffet, a huge variety available.

Checkout was quick and efficient.

I found the rate for this hotel to be much cheaper on the Norwegian Choice Hotels site (don't think I'm allowed post the link here) than anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank bounty
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2007

My wife and I stayed here recently while on an auto trip to the Norwegian fjords. We wanted a hotel which was near, but not in, Oslo, as we were planning to skip the city on the first leg of our trip. The hotel is well outside of the city in an office park. Do NOT stay here if you are planning to sightsee in Oslo, as it is not convenient to downtown. However, parking is free which is unlikely to be the case downtown.

The hotel is OK, but nothing special. It is close to the main road, so gets some traffic noise, though not bad. It also caters to bus tours, so there can be some early-morning activity when all the tourists prepare to depart. Our room was OK, though we had some plumbing problems. The breakfast buffet was very good, and the price was good value by Norway standards. All in all, on another trip I'd look for a different hotel.

• Stayed June 2007
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2006

I was travelling on business and this was teh only hotel in Kilbotn that had my company rate available. I was not thrilled - the hotel looks like a 70's warehouse on the outside, and the tatty car park has many lorries parked on it.

The corridors and rooms are in need of some TLC and the carpets don't fit right ANYWHERE.

So It was a horrible two days,right ?

Not at all ! The desk and barstaff were very helpful. Food in the restaurant was excellent. Prices very reasonable. Free wireless LAN.

Bed LOVELY a comfortable and the room very quiet.

Situated minutes from many large companies, yet a 15 minute walk to the beach on the fjord - one of the most beautfiful places I have ever seen.

I expected to hate this tatty 3 star hotel, ended up having a very pleasant stay. Recommended to solo travelers who find function more important than form in hotels.

• Liked — freindliness of staff, location, great functionality of facilities
  • Disliked — general tattiness, limited breakfast buffet
  • Tips/Secrets — try it !
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank Ormstein
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kolbotn
Sormarka Konferansehotell
Quality Hotel 33
#45 of 100 in Oslo
Quality Hotel Expo
#1 of 3 in Fornebu

Been to Quality Hotel Mastemyr? Share your experiences!