“Nice place, but slow service”
Review of mamma italia

mamma italia
Ranked #24 of 444 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This restaurant/brasserie is really warm and welcoming, and the staff really are as nice as people say...however I visited recently with a group of friends and the service was reeaalllyyy slow, we waited ages for each course even though it wasn't particularly busy.
We were a little disappointed with the food although the base on the garlic bread was fab and my dessert, a chocolate tart, was like those little flat ones you buy in Starbucks, all finished off with squirty cream....yuk !
I would however, give it another go...maybe it was just a one off !!!

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I have been going to this restaurant for a couple of years and can not fault it. The staff are friendly and the food is great!

Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed tonight the staff make you feel so special, been a few times and always been happy
Food was great we went for pizza and pasta for tea cheap and very cheerful, very pleased and will be returning again,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

The quality of the food is only bettered by the genuine warmth of the welcome, proven on each of my two visits this week, each as part of a small group.

Comments from friends included "You're so lucky to have this lace nearby", "I love this place, it's my favourite restaurant" given that none of them lived in Sunderland, or nearby, this is pretty high praise.

This week I ate once from the specials board, Sea Bass, not the largest piece of fish I've seen, but top quality and very well cooked. The black pudding starter is a delight. On my second visit I returned to my stalwart Lucifera pizza, nicely hot but not ridiculously so, a lovely treat.

Pasta is always good, with creamy norcina sauce being a favourite too. The buzz here is incredible, it always seems busy; as good as you can get in a local pizzeria. Value is second to none, and the quality if the food is consistently good.

A brilliantly conceived and operated local restaurant, a pleasure to visit.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is one of our favourite restaurants at the moment, really consistent, atmosphere lovely, staff so warm and attentive without 'being in your face', food is excellent,clean, price isn't unreasonable either. We enjoy this restaurant with friends and family and they are very sweet with our daughters.
I rang on the off chance over Christmas to get a table and was really impressed they fit us in, they were very straight forward and said they would need the table by 7...feel they take care of all customers, very effiecent.