“very good meal”

Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This Modern Pub, serves a blend of street food and traditional soul food.
Reviewed 31 August 2012

stayed at the adjoining Roker hotel for the weekend of 17 08 20 decided to try the tavistock thai china as thai food is our favourite, we were not dissapointed. The staff in the restaurant were very good, we had not booked yet a table was found for us straight away.The food and wine was excellant, really good dining experience, we do not live local but I would book a stay in the hotel again in order to dine here again.Prices very reasonable, excellent food, very friendly staff, overall a very good dining experience.

KEITH D, Director at Thai China, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you chose to dine with us whilst staying at our hotel. I will pass your comments to the team and ensure that we continue to provide the standards that you enjoyed whilst visiting us. Once again my sincerest of thanks for your review and custom.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

My mother and I visted the Thai China for Sunday Lunch and received excellent service from a young man called Chris. He was helpful, polite and nothing was a problem to ensure we had a good experience.
Food was delicious too.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for such a nice review of our traditional carvery Sunday lunch. I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and service. I will certainly pass your comments onto all the staff involved. Once afain a huge thank you for your review and custom....

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Been here on a few occasions now my only moan is the service could be a little quicker but other than that couldn't moan about anything else. The food is very tasty & at £9.95 for a starter then a soup to follow then a main course with a rice (fried or boiled) or noodles & accompanied with a glass of house wine in with the meal this is great value for £. We are usually sat looking out into the north sea with the harbour just below. Restaurant very tastefully presented in decor & always nippin clean..... Happy eatin

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you have found to be of a good standard and also the value of the food and service that we provide. Our dining experience is one that is not rushed and I apologise if you feel that this results in a slow service. I have highlighted this point with both the head chef and restaurant manager. Once again thank you for a great review and custom and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I visited a friend in Sunderland and went to the Tavistock for a drink, then moved onto the Thai China looking forward to a nice Thai meal. Unfortunately that's not what we got, the menu is extensive listing both Thai and Chinese dishes. We ordered Thai dishes, when the came they were nothing like any other Thai dishes I have ever had, I can only assume they don't have any Thai chefs or chefs trained in Thai cooking. We only ate a small part of the meal and decided to pay and leave. If you have not eaten in many Thai restaurants then you wouldn't know how far away from Thai food they serve up.

2  Thank Ian M

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you did not enjoy your dining experience with us. I assure you that our kitchen brigade is all Thai chefs who each have over ten years experience and have been preparing quality thai cuisine for our restaurant for over five years. Once again my sincerest of apologise that you did not enjoy your experience and thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Weighing up our options having booked into the hotel a couple of months back, we decided to try the Thai China. We hadn't booked a table and although the restauant was reasonably busy, we didn't have to wait too long for a table. The decor of the restaurant is very relaxing, and having opted for the set menu, it was thoroughly enjoyed by both of us. In fact it was a bit too much, but we were glad to be able to take a 'doggy bag' with us to polish off later on. Overall, the decor, ambience, friendliness and helpfullness of the staff, and especially the food were all excellent, although I doubt there'll be the 'entertainment' from the other diner who perhaps might have had a bit too much to drink that night... Will we go back? Most definitely.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable dining experience. My team and I look forward to welcoming you on your return visit.