“very slow service”

Thai China
Price range: US$10 - US$24
Cuisines: Brew Pub, Pub, Asian
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This Modern Pub, serves a blend of street food and traditional soul food.
seaburn
“very slow service”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

My wife and I book the Thai China this weekend the 6 th October 12, for 08.00 hrs. We arrived at 7.50pm and were immediately seated. We ordered the Thai jade ' Banquet, 2 hours 30 minutes later we finally finished our main meal! no sweet due to having to get back home
Service was friendly but terribly slow it took almost an hour from ordering for us to be served our starter. There was a hiccup with an incorrect main order so I ate my main whilst my wife waited for hers to be cooked ,
The pan of mussel flattered to deceive as most of the shells in both of our pans where empty ?
Overall the food was fair not the best Thai I have had but the waiting time between courses was very detrimental to the overall dining experience the restaurant looks excellent and has the right setting to be excellent,

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank geordieinwhitby500
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you felt the service was slow. We attempt to create a service ethos that allows our guests sufficient time between the five course banquet to enjoy the full flavour and experience of the banquet. I appreciate that this is not suitable to all guests and sometimes can be unenjoyable to some guests. As a result of your and other guests feedback we have placed a guide within our menu to allow you to indicate the speed of service you would like to experience whilst partaking in our banquet meals. Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Turkey
“Tavistock Thai China”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Linked direclty to the Roker Hotel this restaurant doubles up as the breakfast room by day and the Thai Restaurant at night.

I was surprised at the offer of a 4 course meal under £17 and found the food well presented and very tasty. The portions served were more than generous although I found the sea food platter with noodles a little too hot for my taste.

Everything arrived in a timely manner and the South African girl, whose name escapes me, was exceptionally good and always attentive and enthusiastic with a wonderful smile.

I would definately recommend this restaurant.

Visited October 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of our restaurant, I am delighted that you found the food good value and plentiful. I apologise that you found the seafood dish too hot for your liking and should you visit us again our chef can certainly modify the spice of the dish, I will pass your comments to Christina and thank you once again for your positive review and we look forward to being of service to you in the near future.
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We ate at the Tavistock Thai China last Friday before our night out at the Sunderland Empire. We were limited for time and therefore opted for just a main course with rice. The staff were very courteous, the restaurant ambience very pleasant and my teryacki beef with coconut rice was excellent !!! Recommended

Visited September 2012
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you found the food and service to a high standard whilst visiting us before your trip to the Sunderland Empire. Once again thank youfor your review and custom.
Sunderland
“Massive improvement”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Following our disasterous visit back in February, we were invited back compliments of the manager. I've deliberately waited 6 months to allow the place time to adapt with their new take away business, and find out what improvements (if any) were made, and there have obviously been several changes for the better.
Let me start with the most important thing - the food - WOW! It may not be as authentic as you would get anywhere in Thailand, but it is some of the very best I've had for a while. It was piping hot and very fresh. A damned close 2nd to anything I've had in Thailand. The seafood broth tom yum was devine!
Staff - very attentive without being imposing. The staff have been changed since our last visit, and again, what a fantastic improvement. Service with smiles all round.
Menu - tweaked slightly since the last time but still exceptionally good value for the price.
Overall, it has gone from a 0 out of 10 to a 10 out of 10, and I'm not easily impressed. I really do wish them every sucess following this visit, and I really do hope this visit wasn't a one off. If things stay the same, not only will we be back to being regulars, we'll happily recommend it to others.

• Visited September 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review and allowing us to demonstrate that the problems you encountered back in February were merely an isolated incident. I am delighted that you feel we have returned to our normal high level of food and service that you have experienced in your past visits. I will certainly pass onto the restaurant and kitchen staff your kind words and we as a team thank you for your opportunity given to restore your faith in our restaurant.
hexham
“Service with a smile”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We were with a wedding group .The food was very well presented, served hot ,and tasted so good, Three courses were excellent, that was also the opinion of all the wedding guests..
.The girl who ran the restaurant( From South Shields) was there or about all the time and ran things to perfection . If you go for a meal or wanting to book a wedding reception you will not be disappointed in any way.

• Visited September 2012
KEITH D, Director at Thai China, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review, whilst attending our restaurant as part of a wedding party. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience. I have passed your comments to the restaurant manager and her team. Once again a huge thanks and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.