“Not good”

Price range: US$11 - US$27
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This Modern Pub, serves a blend of street food and traditional soul food.
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I visited with my partner and need I say the least it was terrible I received the wrong starter The waiter just blanked us throughout the night. I don't know if it was cause we were young or same sex couple but the blank looks and ignorance wasn't appreciated for the price we payed. I expect some sort of good service for the price they charge yet I received nothing of the sort. I had an empty glass sitting on the table from my starter being finish and with the waiter walking past more than 10 times I expected an offer for another but the glass just sat there throughout my entire main course. I am not happy or satisfied at this in the slightest

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The place has a high finish of decore , a really classy feel. service is quiet good but the standard of food lets it down. A lot of catching up on its neighbour restaurant Italia.

2  Thank Damian R
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

This was my favourite Thai food I had tasted. The portions were huge and the price was well affordable. I'm gutted it's closed, we have enough Italians in Sunderland but not enough Thai places to eat. Bring it back I say.....

KEITH D, Director at Thai China, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry for your disappointment. I must agree with your comments, however, we took the decision to close Thai China and revert the space into a function suite.

The demand for function space has intensified and we took the decision that the space would be better utilised to this use.

We still have our Tavistock Retro Italia and R Bar within the hotel that serves food. Our new bar menu that is due to be launched mid april, will feature some of our Thai dishes.

Once again thanks for your kind comments and we will hopefully see you visit our hotel again soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

Booked a table for 5 of us as it was my sons birthday. Arrived promptly at 7 pm. We ordered a mixture of banquets and meals. Soups arrived, the hot and sour prawn soup contained 1 prawn per bowl! Starters of thai fish cakes, rather on the small side. Then a mind numbing 45 minutes later the waitress offered us a round of free drinks as an apology for our wait, we were on soft drinks only so not a great deal. Another 15 minutes later about 9 pm we were served our main courses. No explaination about why there had been such a delay, the restaurant definately wasn't busy. Didn't even think about dessert! This has completely put me off this restaurant!

1  Thank Mumski_13
KEITH D, Director at Thai China, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry for the experience that you encountered. We pride ourselves on the high level of food standards and customer service we provide all of our guests. Sadly it appears that we have failed to achieve this on your last visit.

I have highlighted all of your concerns to both the Head Chef and Restauarnt Manager, who will fully investigate all of your points.

Once again my sincerest of aplogies.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

The Thai China Restaurant closes it’s doors 18th Feb 2013. My husband and I have spent the last 2years dining in this superb restaurant. Also taking advantage of the fantastic Dinner B&B deal. However, Im afraid we won’t be returning as we only ever booked up to experience the thai china restaurant. There is the Italian restaurant as an alternative but we always preferred thai china. Are you relocating in Sunderland?? I hope so??

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for such kind words about our restaurant and also for your loyal custom over the last two years.

The demand for smaller functions within our business meant that we could not facilitate these due to only having one larger function room. The decision to convert Thai China into the Harbour Suite function room was not an easy decision, but we feel it was the right decision with already having our Tavistock Retro Italian Restaurant and R Bar that served food.

Once again a big thank you for your custom and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and possibly in our Harbour Suite where we have some great events planned for 2013 and beyond.