“Fantastico”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Another great meal at Bistro Romanos. We booked a table for 6.30 and were surprised at how many people were already in the restaurant. There was an early bird menu for those diners to choose from if dining before 7.00. Two courses for £16.90 or three for £21. Quite a good selection to choose from too.
Hubby had scallops as recommended by Paolo and I had meatballs in napoletana sauce with grilled focaccia bread. The hubby had the chorizo risotto and I had chicken supreme with onions and mini roasties. No room for the puddings but they did look delicious when passing to the tables next to us. It was busy, busy, busy when we left. No wonder really as the food is consistently of a very high standard. Highly recommended and were going back in three weeks - can't wait

4  Thank Millyannpie

Reviewed 10 April 2014

My in laws live in Cleadon, and whenever we go up to visit we try and get to Romano's. Its within walking distance which is great, but its not always easy to get a table! To say it is a suburban restaurant in quite an out of the way location, Romano's is first class, worthy of a couple of stars; the food is ALWAYS amazing, the choice huge, and the service gently efficient and friendly. The decor is classy and restrained without being dull - very comfortable. Romano's isn't the cheapest place to eat - but you really DO get what you pay for, and we've never begrudged paying our bill - with hefty tip ! I can't wait to go back - selfishly I just hope too many of you don't discover it !

1  Thank SandbarManagement
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I hadn't been to Romanos in a few years and thought I would try it with my partner and our children for his 40th birthday. i was unsure whether our youngest member of our party (8) would enjoy it but as i walked in, there were fellow families dining so my mind was put at rest. The staff were very attentive, yet didnt rush. The atmosphere was lovely, beyond my expectations, and the food was magnificent! The children had plenty of choice (which was one of my concerns) and we had a gorgeous meal. All of the above made our evening, as it is often difficult to find a family friendly restaurant of such good quality. I have already made plans to return with some friends, as I live close, I wonder if locals often 'forget' how good it is!

1  Thank Maria T
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My friend and I went to this restaurant before we went to the see a film at Boldon. What an amazing place, lovely ambiance, attentive staff, I am celiac and they could not do enough for me, gluten free bread and pasta was available, such a treat to be able to order spaghetti bolognese without having to take my own pasta. Thank you for the packet of gluten free pasta I was given and I have recommenced this restaurant to a few of my wheat intolerant friends. Would definitely go there again, in fact i am taking my husband next week. Any lower rating I gave was not because they were poor, but because we didn't see any outdoor seating, it was winter after all!

1  Thank Galadrial
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My favourite restaurant for food, drinks, atmosphere and service.
Always have either lunch or dinner here, but we've tried the Sunday lunch and was absolutely delighted - I shouldn't be really because it was the same high standard as every other time we go.
Highly recommended, Paulo and Romano always give you the warmest of welcomes.

3  Thank Millyannpie