“Terrible food and service”
Review of Queen Vic

Queen Vic
Ranked #14 of 17 Sunderland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We had friends visit from London so we took them there for dinner one saturday nght. There were 6 of us all together. The restaurant wasn't full and that was a clue, especially on a Saturday night. We all had different dishes and starters and not one was nice. On top of that, the service was horrendous, the staff were grumpy, the waiter tried to stratch across the table to serve the meals instead of walking around the table and when he couldn't reach - he threw the plate the last few inches.

The prices weren't particularly cheap but in any case, price should have no bearing on quality.

The place was placed into administration and I can see why. It has now come out now and maybe a brighter future might bring brighter staff and quality - it isn't rocket science. Either way, we won't be returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner came here for Sunday dinner today and it was awful. There was only a choice of pork or beef, my partner enjoyed the beef and I didn't touch mine. I prefer chicken or turkey but these weren't available. The vegetables were horrible too all very hard including the roasties. The gravy had a very strong onion taste which wasn't great. All in all a very disappointing carvery and definitely wouldn't be recommending it to anyone or going back their for food again. Staff weren't very friendly and even though I left nearly all of my dinner I wasn't asked if anything was wrong.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Clare0125
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I arrived into the queen Vic around the same time the take that concerts were taking place.
Arriving into the hotel I could tell it was very popular as it was bustling with locals,guests and take that concert goers.From the moment I stepped into the establishment I was treated like royalty.
Waking up in my room the following morning was a treat as I was greeted by the most beautiful sea view, I would of paid double the room price for this alone.
Every aspect of the place both surprised and delighted me, from the food,staff, the cleanliness of the rooms, the service and most importantly the price.
I imagine it is independently run and it could teach the bigger hotel chains a thing or two about customer satisfaction.
A huge treat of a stay.
Paddy from Dublin

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Pjjh28
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed here for one night due to a concert at the stadium. The staff we found were friendly and helpful. Unlike the other review, we did not eat here as this was not included in the price.
Our room had a large window/balcony overlooking the sea front.
The room was spacious and modern.
There is a large bar and restaurant here which was great for a quick drink beforehand.
We caught a bus from outside the hotel and walked back from the stadium which took about 20 mins.
We would stay here again as we found it to be a little hidden gem!

Room Tip: modern, ligyt and spacious
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Becky H
Reviewed 21 August 2011

The food was terrible, which was matched by the service and attitude of the staff. We ordered Sunday carvery and the food was tasteless but that was nothing compared to the attitude of the manager, when asked for an extra Yorkshire pudding as there was only couple of veg left, I was told i would have to pay for it what do I expect for £6.99 round here, if I wasn't happy not to come back. Believe me I won't be coming back neither will anyone I know.

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank Donm1982
Maz177, Owner at Queen Vic, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

I am really sorry you have had unpleasant experience at the Queen Vic. The premises is now under new management and we do our utmost to deliver high quality service to our customers.
As well as new staff we have recently introduced a new menu to compliment our carvery.