“Well worth. A visit”

Ranked #1 of 455 Restaurants in Sunderland
Price range: US$23 - US$47
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Offering French, Italian cuisine in the former water company buildingSourcing local produce and serving quality food and serviceOpen for lunches & evenings
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went with work colleagues and wasn't disappointed the meal was brilliant a bit pricey but well worth the money

1  Thank denise m
Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

From the minute you walk in you are made to feel welcome. I was talked through the menu by the manager who made some excellent suggestions. The meal was outstanding and top class presentation. The atmosphere was lovely. A really good buzz about the place. I thoroughly recommend this restaurant. 5 Stars

1  Thank Gazed
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Popped in for lunch and was pleasantly surprised, having heard some disparaging stories about Sunderland and what it has to offer (Sorry residents!). Inviting surroundings and welcoming staff - the food was very good and the only downside was a lengthy wait for our second course. This wouldn't normally have been an issue but we had a deadline to meet. If in Sunderland agin I would definitely give it another try.

1  Thank Nigel P
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Brilliant Sunday lunch, big portions, very tasty food, great setting and service with a lovely atmosphere. I had the ham hock terrine to start, the sharpness of piccalilli cut through the terrine beautifully, complemented by the earthy beetroot purée whilst the pease pudding gave you a big homely hug! pork belly for main was brilliant with a fantastic piece of crackling. My wife had chicken and with her first bite commented how juicy it was! Just wish I could have squeezed in a dessert!!

2  Thank Simon H
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My wife and I have dined in the worlds best restaurants from The Fat duck in bray to L'atelier in Paris. we have recently retired to the north east as we were both born here.We have been sampling some of the regions fine eateries and not let down until now. we were recommended this restaurant by some neighbors, and I must say there tastes and ours must vary vastly as do most of the other reviewers. This restaurant is very hard to find and I wish we had not. it felt very claustrophobic. the service was average and we felt very unwelcome, the wine was very nice but the wine menu was not very well thought out, The house red was of a decent quality for a red but was slightly chilled, a no no in my eyes as it should be of room temperature and left to breath before serving, The food looked like it had been copied from a cookery book by a well known chef but was riddled with error, It is certainly a case of style over substance as it lacked flavor and technique, the food had no balance of seasoning, the pate lacked it and the Assiete of seafood had far to much, and seasoning dose not mean just salt and pepper, the dish lacked acidity. The Eton mess was a mess, I do like deconstructed deserts when they work but certain ones don't like Eaton mess. The moral of the story. don't listen to your neighbors

10  Thank AgusteEscoffier
jimmy_dacqua85, Owner at D'Acqua Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you Aguste Escoffier, I am sorry that you feel our high praise is undeserved, however I will stick up for your neighbors and the vast majority of our reviewers & customers to say that maybe you are undeserved of leaving such a review. Maybe D'acqua is not to your taste, maybe the fact it is found in the beautifully restored grade 2 listed basement of the Sunderland water company building did make YOU feel claustrophobic, or to others makes them feel warm and inviting and gives it the ambiance many mention to be relaxed.

I am glad red wine was "very nice" but then only of "decent quality" and it is never served chilled here. I wish you had mentioned which cookery book it was so that I could buy it to read. Sounds a good read.

I hope you continue your culinary journey around our region. If you do have any issues at others restaurants it would be a lot easier for the restaurants to solve any problems if you mention it rather than writing the review behind a screen, such as some extra lemon for your fish, or checking the wine and saying its only decent and maybe selecting a different wine? Maybe that could be the moral of the story?

Please say thank you to your neighbor for recommending from us here though. Its great to know word of mouth is keeping us busy night after night.

Kind regards, Jimmy