“Still great food and service”

Roma Italian Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 425 Restaurants in Sunderland
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Description: Located in Sunderland city centre, Roma Italian Restaurant brings a unique taste of Italian Cuisine. Roma Sunderland offers a magnificent combination of modern and classic Italian dishes, simple and delightful and are created using the best freshest ingredients. Roma Italian Restaurant in Sunderland recently earned the distinction of being voted one of the best Italian restaurants in Sunderland. Open Monday - Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm Friday & Saturday Lunch 12:00 noon - 2:00 pm
Washington, United Kingdom
“Still great food and service”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I have been meaning to write another review for Roma after we celebrated my daughters 17th birthday a few months ago there.Five of us (family) dined there and they made it very special for her.Sparklers in her cake and drink and the staff sang Happy Birthday with tambourines...she loved it.My husbands parents are hard to please and they loved the place and food.We often dine as a family of 3 or just as a couple and we are never disappointed.Service is second to none and always consistant.We are welcomed in and out of the restaurant.Its a popular little place and not able to seat many at one time so I advise you to book online or by phone during busy times.The food is beautiful and never had a disappointing meal yet.Little Italy in Mary Street!! Always a warm welcome

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank sharronw357

• Turkish first
sunderland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantasic from start to finish”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Thankyou Roma for making our work night out fantastic from start to finish. Service second to none. Atmosphere so relaxed and cosy. Food absolutely gorgeous, really quick and piping hot even though the restaurant was packed out. Could not fault our night in any way. Will definitely be back sooner rather than later xx

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank ssmaddy
manchester
“Discriminates against single diners”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

When I visited the restaurant at 6.15pm during "Happy Hour", there were plenty of free tables but as I was dining alone(being on a business trip), I was told it was fully booked. When I complained, the waiter said he didn't have to explain things to me. I complained to the manager by email but was told the restaurant was booked up.
Why not put aside some single tables?

Visited December 2013
5 Thank Steve R
RomaRestaurant, Owner at Roma Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Hi, and thanks for the comment. It seems you did not have a chance to read my email thoroughly. So I have pasted your email sent to us and my respond to that.I leave the rest to Tripadvisor users.

Your Email:To the manager.

Your staff need a lesson in manners. On a business trip i visited Roma Weds eve at 6.15. Restaurant was over half empty and at first, the waiter was polite. When i told him it wad a table for one, he told me it was fully booked. When i claimed it was discrimination against single people, he told he didn't have to explain things. I left angry and insulted. Perhaps you could tell me what you are going to do about this.

We replied: Hi there,

Thanks for your email.

I was informed of your visit by my staff last night. Unfortunately due to having a small place the restaurant gets fully booked and we are unable to take any customers with no booking regardless of the number of people.

I understand that you might have seen the restaurant half empty but within our booking sheet the restaurant was fully booked for the night. (by 6.45 all tables were taken) As we do not rush our customers to have the tables back, our maximum sitting time has been allocated for two and a half hour to let them relax and enjoy their food and drinks. Throughout December we have very small amount of tables left and we expect our customers to book in advance.

I am sorry that we could not give you a table on this occasion. Please feel free to give us a ring to book a table or discuss this matter further.

With regards
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Proper italian”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Really enjoyed our first visit. Great service, food and prices and will certainly be back. Just give it a go.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Honestger
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Doesn't even feel like you're in Sunderland. ”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Visited here tonight with about 25 people. Everybody was happy. I thoroughly enjoyed my potato skin with garlic dip for a starter. I had a steak with no sauce but stole a small amount of peppercorn sauce off a mate to try it and it was amazing. The staff are lovely, the decor is great and genuinely really happy with the whole night.

1 Thank carl_steveo