“Best night!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Marcellos

Marcellos
Ranked #65 of 420 Restaurants in Sunderland
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Best night!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I came in for a romantic meal with my boyfriend on valentines day. We didnt have to wait long for a table though we did book so didnt expect to be waiting.
We sat down at are table and got are drinks stright away and was served by a young waiter who seemed very friendly and kind towards us.
He took are order and are food came out straight away we had a brusetta for starter and tasted amazing for are main a chicken and steak that was unbelievably mouthwatering very tender and fresh hats off to the head chef for our food as it was nothing like I have had before (in a good way).
I had an amazing night the service was great food was out of this world would definitely be going back very soon and would recommend this true Italian restaurant to everyone. Best one
In sunderland.

• Visited February 2014

Sunderland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No stars for me!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We went to Marcello's cos it was the nearest! Wish I hadn't bothered, it was awful. Just poor in general to be fair. I am sure the kids potato skins and pizza were okay but the rest was forgettable. I think they should do something about the fat in the deep fat fryer, it's stinks the place out. Red wine was suspect! I could taste the dishwasher on veg. Not very nice and won't be going back.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank emma989999
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Nice early tea, good staff, good value, three and a half stars really”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had a couple of hours to kill in Sunderland early Tuesday evening and this place was handy. I've eaten here before a long time ago and my first impression tonight was that it is looking a little tireder than I remember. That said we were welcomed and seated by a very nice young waiter, the menu early evening is two courses for £10, and the main menu is very fairly priced. Service was good, I have had better bruschetta but it was ok, carbonara was very nice. My son enjoyed his prawns in chilli and chicken al pepe, the chips were also good. Desserts were very nice though I am always disappointed when they arrive with squirty cream, but that is just a personal thing!
We weren't rushed and enjoyed our meal overall.
The food was good and reasonably priced, the surroundings could do with a bit of a spruce up and the toilets though clean also look a bit tired.
Staff efficient and welcoming

• Visited February 2014
Doha, Qatar
“Very Good Resturant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Excellent Hospitality and Delicious food
The thing that I dislike is that soft drinks are not in cans but come in glass and this change the taste of the drink
opening time 12 to 10pm

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Rashid_Qatar
Washington, United Kingdom
“Outrageously BAD customer service! Worst restaurant experience for all party members”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Myself and three friends visited the restaurant for the first and last time.
Although we were quickly seated (which was expected as we had made a reservation) we waited a long time to be offered anything to drink. When we were eventually asked for our food orders the waiter wasn't unpleasant (which could not be said for the rest of the night) however, there was nothing thrilling about his customer service skills.
Our starters came in average time and were quite pleasant (if i'm being fair) however they were simply 2 garlic prawns and 2 mozzarella wrapped in palmer ham (I could have made them similarly myself). Unfortunately this was as good as our night got and our moods and our food rapidly declined from this point until walking out the door. We waited a long time for our mains and as we had saved ourselves for a meal together we were all very hungry and looking forward to eating them. One of my friends main was the chicken kiev which he did not enjoy and chose to leave. It was chewy and overcooked. My own lasagna was an extremely small portion which gave me the impression I had been given the very last of a pre-cooked lasagna. One friend ate an average pasta dish however the last of our party found a LONG BLACK hair in his own average pasta meal. He begrudgingly told the waiter as he was hungry and knew he would have to wait for another meal. The waiter offered no explanation and simply took the dish away quickly and said another would be made. What we assumed to me a fresh meal came out minutes later (which was suspicious to begin with) and just a couple of minutes after this, the SAME long black hair was found stuck to the bottom and the side of his dish. From this we made the assumption the staff had simply attempted to remove and dispose of the hair (unsuccessfully) and served the same hair contaminated pasta dish. By this point my friend was extremely hungry, placed the hair in his tissue and ate some of the pasta. As two of our party didn't eat much of their meals due to the poor quality and added hairs, we ordered deserts, non of which were nice.
After waiting, yet again, a very long time for the bill we were appalled to see we had been charged for the pasta dish which contained the hair. After pointing this out to the waitress hoping it was a mistake she explained, moodily, that if they replaced the meal and we accepted the replacement it was policy that we would be charged. After explaining we found the hair for a second time and we were aware the replacement was NOT in fact a fresh dish the waitress walked away and returned with what we assume was a managerial member of staff. He explained that all the chefs were bald and none of the waitresses had long black hair. I don't think he quite understood that we didn't care where the hair had come from but good customer service would mean we would not be charged for the meal. One of the party members is a manager of a successful takeaway. The party member who was served hairy pasta works in a large cafe, dealing with both food and customer service and I myself, work specifically in customer service for a large company, As 3 out of 4 party members fully understand both food hygiene good customer service we were appalled with the way in which the assumed manager was talking to us. We were made to feel like we had planted the hair in the pasta ourselves as the manager repeatedly said "Considering none of my staff have long black hair, I think for it to appear twice if VERY suspicious". This aggressive and shocking lecture lasted a few agonising minutes. He eventually stopped but was extremely unhappy and moody with removing just this one pasta meal from the bill. We paid and left. We all left feeling accused, frustrated and angry at the way we had been spoken to.
The only explanation i can come up with as to why this member of staff thought he could get away with this disgraceful behavior was due to the fact that we were the last party to leave the restaurant. I believe that had this happened in front of other customers we possibly would not have been treat in such a mean and disrespectful way simply due to the possibility of bad publicity/reputation. I also believe that because we were all in our 20's, he maybe believed he didn't have to treat us with the same respect and customer service. I was outraged at our experience all 4 of us were obviously all in agreement we will NOT be returning!

DISGUSTING customer service.

I hope this review deters any reader from visiting.

• Visited January 2014