“poor service”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

reserved a table on 3rd may got of to a great start waitress showed us to our seats and ordered drinks.after 25 minutes no one came to take our order, waiter then took the order from another party that came in after us,when we told the waiter that our order had not been taken he tried to ignore us.we asked him to bring us the bill for the two drinks which prompted him to ask for the food order.he seemed to think this was funny so we left.we have been visiting this restaurant for many years and more recently taking advantage of the takeaway menu.we know the waiter to be the youngest son of the owner but because of his attitude we will be reluctant to visit the restaurant again.

1  Thank Keith M

Reviewed 16 March 2014

marcellos restaurant is lovely for its food but the standard of food from the take away recently has not been the same level compared to the restaurant. i had ordered a takeaway on two occasions to which i have ordered a mushroom risotto, the first occasion the risotto was okay but the season was overpowered by the pepper. second occasion which was last night , the risotto was season correctly but the risotto was white not cooked in the original brown demi glace which it normally is. felt let down by this cause i know how great the food is in the restaurant.

1  Thank craig_212014
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I came in for a romantic meal with my boyfriend on valentines day. We didnt have to wait long for a table though we did book so didnt expect to be waiting.
We sat down at are table and got are drinks stright away and was served by a young waiter who seemed very friendly and kind towards us.
He took are order and are food came out straight away we had a brusetta for starter and tasted amazing for are main a chicken and steak that was unbelievably mouthwatering very tender and fresh hats off to the head chef for our food as it was nothing like I have had before (in a good way).
I had an amazing night the service was great food was out of this world would definitely be going back very soon and would recommend this true Italian restaurant to everyone. Best one
In sunderland.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We went to Marcello's cos it was the nearest! Wish I hadn't bothered, it was awful. Just poor in general to be fair. I am sure the kids potato skins and pizza were okay but the rest was forgettable. I think they should do something about the fat in the deep fat fryer, it's stinks the place out. Red wine was suspect! I could taste the dishwasher on veg. Not very nice and won't be going back.

1  Thank emma989999
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had a couple of hours to kill in Sunderland early Tuesday evening and this place was handy. I've eaten here before a long time ago and my first impression tonight was that it is looking a little tireder than I remember. That said we were welcomed and seated by a very nice young waiter, the menu early evening is two courses for £10, and the main menu is very fairly priced. Service was good, I have had better bruschetta but it was ok, carbonara was very nice. My son enjoyed his prawns in chilli and chicken al pepe, the chips were also good. Desserts were very nice though I am always disappointed when they arrive with squirty cream, but that is just a personal thing!
We weren't rushed and enjoyed our meal overall.
The food was good and reasonably priced, the surroundings could do with a bit of a spruce up and the toilets though clean also look a bit tired.
Staff efficient and welcoming