“a perfect evening in Backwaters”
Review of Backwaters - CLOSED

Backwaters
Price range: US$24 - US$40
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A dining experience can be cherished most if the ambience is realistic, service is impeccable and above all the ingredients used in food are fresh and handpicked.Our cuisine is based on the regions of South India and particular focus given to Kerala. The region Kerala is located at the southern tip of India and through the centuries past, many have travelled to Kerala for the richness in spices produced over here.Kerala is identified as one of the 50 must see destinations of the world by the national geographical traveller and we the people from backwaters are here to celebrate this honour with our aromatic authentic signature cuisine.Our unique style in presentation of food is well appreciated by most of our diners and many praises to the pictures displayed in our walls taken by a well-known ecologist makes this experience of dining in Backwaters truly special. The restaurant offers a wide range of starters like fish croquettes and Tiger prawns marinated in southern Indian spices and pan fried; served with coconut sauce and spicy kokum (kokum is native fruit to the western coastal regions of southern India).Our main course includes 3 kinds of platters (seafood, meat and vegetable) and apart from these one of our chicken based dishes called ‘kozhi varutharachy curry ‘is a mouth-watering hot and spicy chicken prepared with roasted coconut and grinded with handpicked spices which make it a distinctly flavoured dish and is served with steamed basmati rice.The perfect way to end a memorable evening at the Restaurant is chef’s recommendation of dessert called Backwaters halwa which consists of two kinds of pudding made of semolina and alphonso mango, served with a scoop of ice cream.
Reviewed 17 April 2012

And again all of them did a wonderful job: best food - thanks to the chef!!
best service - a big Thank you to the lovely staff
And not to forget the cute suprise for my darling - thanks Johann!!!
I´ll come back soon!!!!
Kindest Regards
Ray Freeman

5  Thank Ray F

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have been in this restaurant several times now and I don´t know HOW, but they are always giving more than 150% !! The food was so great and the staff is simply the best I have ever met and the atmosphere is so heartwarming - no need to say that I will come back very often!!
PLEASE go on like that and THANK YOU very much!
ps: thanks for the sweet surprise, I am sure my trip will be nice!!
B.Graetz

3  Thank Bianca G
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We also had a groupon and have to say they were helpful in finding us a date to use.

We had table booked for 6, walked around to resturant and got there for around 5:55, shutter was still down I would expect for the doors to be open ready to seat the people who has reservations for 6 or for them to not take bookings until 6:15. I stood outside in freezing cold until about 6:05 when I tried to call the number, it rang until went to fax machine, was starting to think that it had maybe closed down. The girl finally opened the shutter as we were going to leave, she obviously had no idea we were booked in for 6 and just laughed (no apology)

No problem getting our bottle of beer each, however we were in for a long wait for our food and when it arrived to be honest was not worth the wait, the groupon deal is good value for money but even if they had it on again I would not buy, to be honest if they had the same deal on for £5, I would not go back.

I don't ask for much, open on time, serve food at a reasonable time, answer your phone.

This is my first review, and I only bothered after reading the managers comments to another reviewer, to the manager I do not care if you are a small business, there are plenty of small business all over the country serving fantastic food with fantastic service.

3  Thank treetop79
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I have been to southern india and was delighted to see a Southern Indian
restaurant in Sunderland, as there is no longer one in Newcastle ( and through a Groupon voucher). Very authentic and quite delicious. Service was a little slower than we are used to , but that is due to each dish being cooked to order. The Masala Dosia ( my all time favourite dish: a potato curry filled huge light pancake, served with three side relish style dishes - yummy) was great.
I will definately be going back

2  Thank Helento
Reviewed 2 April 2012

went with groupon voucher, the food was the best indians i've ever had, good service,very nice indeed

1  Thank goodholidayEngland