“Great service, ordinary food”

Sunderland Marriott Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sunderland
Bedfordshire
“Great service, ordinary food”
Reviewed 11 January 2008

I found the hotel easily enough, and parked in what was a quite small and tight car park. Check in was straightforward – the receptionist was very welcoming, polite and efficient.

My room was in the “new wing”. It was nice and big, with a very sparkly and shiny bathroom, though Marriott’s corporate colours in the main bedroom felt quite outdated. It was clean though, with nice bedding, a big wardrobe, two armchairs, a coffee table, and a decent sized wardrobe.

The desk was ok – though the chair was a bit low for it. I plugged my laptop in, and then realised there was no other plug spare to plug in the kettle. I unplugged the trouser press, and boiled the kettle on the floor! The desk had a glass top, which meant that my light mouse didn’t work too well. There is no wireless internet in the rooms. Instead they provided cables and offered you “high speed” connection at £6 for 1 hour, £15 for 24 hours, or £75 for a week’s access. Why so much? I didn’t bother with this.

I ate in the restaurant in the evening. In my opinion, the food was pretty ordinary, and so really, the price was a bit high, for this quality. Breakfast again was nice enough, but expensive for what it was. Service though was great.

Checking out was straightforward.

In summary, the staff, and quality of the service here is excellent. The rooms are nice, but the food in the restaurants was just average.

• Liked — Great service
  • Disliked — Average food at dinner and breakfast
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Noisyboy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
North West London
Reviewed 5 December 2007

I have recently stayed at this hotel on the 9th and 10th November, and our overall experience was excellent. My husband and I stayed in a superior room with sea views, and I must say the bed was extremely comfortable, one of the best hotel beds I have been in. Our room was spotlessly clean, and extremely comfortable. Although the hotel was busy due to a football match, there was surprisingly no noise at night and we slept all the way through, which is a luxury compared to some hotels.
The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, however we did need to ask for the number to leave the car park, which we felt we should have been told on arrival. Apart from that no complaints.
The restaurant staff were brilliant! At breakfast we were greeted with a friendly smile, by a young local girl on both mornings, who escorted us to our breakfast table which was situated on the terrace giving us a beautiful view of the sea front. The breakfast itself was the stand hotel breakfast. The hot food was constantly being refilled, and there was varied selection of pastries, juices, fruit etc. The coffee was fantastic!
We had dinner in the restaurant on the Friday, which was utter class! It was a set menu £25, if I remember correctly, which included 3 courses, sorbet and coffee. The food itself was 5*!
Overall we had a fantastic experience and would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fortheloveoffood07
London
Reviewed 28 November 2007

I've stayed here a few times now and its consistently good. Marriott's in my view seem to be the pick of the hotel chains and this Marriott is top class.

The hotel is situated next to a beach (not the palm fringed type - the beach is pretty bleak with crashing waves) so the setting is half decent and fairly relaxing if you're here on business, which you probably will be as Sunderland is not a vacation resort.

The staff are very helpful and friendly. The food in the restaurant is good and reasonably priced although the menu is a bit limited. Breakfast is the obligatory buffet, again a bit limited but the quality is ok.

The rooms are the high point. I had a very large room on the 1st floor overlooking the car park - not much of a view but the room was excellent. It had a sitting room with a sofa and chairs, 2 TV sets, one near the bed one in the stting room area. The bathroom was very large and clean with a decent shower. The beds were exceptionally comfortable. It felt more like a suite although I hadn't even booked a deluxe room. My colleague (staying on the floor below had the same type of room so I presume these rooms are standard here now).

The gym is small but has free weights, running machines and concept2 rowers. The swimming pool and jacuzzi are decent as well but don't expect to be swimming laps.

The car park appears to be quite small and this may be the only real negative point, otherwise highly recommended.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Car Parking
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank LondonParisPeckham
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2007

I shall have to come clean first. I am married to a Sunderland girl (no jokes) and I just love the north east so reviews of this area are always bound to be a bit biased. The hotel is well situated on the beach front with a few restaurants very close by (2 Indian, 2 Italian, 1 chinese, an assortmant of fish and chips and a pub). The walks or jogging along the beach are bracing in October and it is possible to get quite a way along towards Whitburn. The hotel is a Marriott, it is the same Marriott quality and facilities as you would expect from any Marriott. What is a bit different is the service, waiting staff smile and speak to you; reception staff are helpful and go a bit extra to help; the pool staff too will stop for a chat. Remember to take a cozzy, the pool is adequate, the steam room, jacuzzi and sauna didn't get too crowded. The breakfast is typical hotel but there is a good selection although the toasters could do with updating - they take ages to toast bread! We didn't eat dinner in the hotel a tad too expensive for the four of us as was the bar. Great and friendly service but, by god, expensive, £16+ for 4 drinks! We went to the Pritiraj Indian restaurant, upstairs a couple of doors away and had a reasonably good meal for about £60 for 4 inc 2 bottles of wine, we even had some friends in common with the staff down in worcestershire. Secure parking is within the grounds. Best rooms are obviously the sea view ones. I would go back if I couldn't get into a decent hotel in Newcastle although the kids went out on a Sunday night into Sunderland and rated it as a good place to go for drinks and food.

• Liked — the staff, the leisure facilities
  • Disliked — bar prices
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank warbu
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2007

We stayed at the Sunderland Marriott for 2 nights in September 2007 while attending my cousin's wedding in South Shields.

I am not a lover of large chain hotels. In fact, I booked the Marriott because the choice of available hotels for that weekend was limited due to the Great North Run being held on the Sunday - the cheaper guest houses and hotels were fully booked. I was nervous about my choice because of a couple of Tripadvisor reviews that weren't so complementary.

I need not have worried - the Marriott was more expensive than others in the area but I am glad we chose it as it was superior, clean and comfortable accommodation. We booked superior rooms with sea view. The rooms were spacious and the sea view alone was worth the extra cost. The bed was the most comfortable I can remember in any hotel. I fell asleep listening to the sound of the pounding waves and slept soundly till morning. The bathroom had a bath and a separate shower cubicle.

Breakfasts were included in the cost of the special event rate and offered a wide choice of traditional English cooked and continental style food. Like most large hotels the hot food was kept warm on heated servers but there was the opportunity to have a freshly fried egg cooked to order.

Dinner in the restaurant was also to a good standard.

The staff were friendly and helpful throughout the hotel. Although there were a couple of things we had to discover for ourselves. For example, the receptionist didn't tell us that breakfast was included in our rate and we had to ask how to get out of the hotel car park (key pad number!).

On the down side, we had asked for a no smoking room but in the event our room was on a corridor with smoking rooms. We did notice cigarette smoke on the corridor on a couple of occasions. Also, smoking guests tended to congregate at the entrance to the hotel reception where ash bins were located which meant walking through a wall of smoke to get into the reception.

We enjoyed our stay at the Marriott - the hotel and the beautiful sea view. I would recommend the Sunderland Marriott for a good night's sleep and for its dramatic location on the sea front overlooking the North Sea.

• Liked — Comfy beds and sea view
  • Disliked — Smokers at hotel entrance
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank jaycee
England
Reviewed 28 July 2007

In my opinion this hotel is a poor example of a 4 Star hotel. The room was clean and the reception staff were helpful but that was about it. The food choice was limited and of poor quality, parking was very difficult due to the number of non-residents using the hotel. Builders were working in the bar. Woken at night by noisy vehicles in the car park. We left two days early and the best part of the stay was seeing the Sunderland Marriott in the rear view mirror.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Poor value for money
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank VFM_Seeker
Scotland
Reviewed 25 July 2007

I stayed for business, and was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The location is excellent - right on the sea front. Parking was easy. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean and well appointed (although it took a while to work out how to switch off the sound of the TV in the bathroom!). I had an enjoyable drink at the bar before dinner in the restaurant - which was truly excellent, worth going to in its own right.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would definitely go there again. The room was a bit cramped and didn't have much of a view, but sea view rooms cost more. As ever, Internet access is over-priced.

• Liked — The restaurant and dinner
  • Disliked — Room was a bit cramped with limited view; but far from terrible
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Homelovinguy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunderland
Hilton Garden Inn Sunderland
Mercure Newcastle George Washington Hotel Golf and Spa
Seaham Hall
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Seaham

Been to Sunderland Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!